Fitting magnets in walking stick ferrule

Big Al

On 04/09/2018 at 11:39, Stimo22 said:

I have made a couple with a small magnet in the ferrule it found you can only pick up one or two cartridges at a time. 

My idea was to make a ferrule like the end of a shooting stick. I then made a end with a rubber foot for hard surfaces and a large magnet that will pick up a bunch of cartridges, these fittings just screw on as required as photo

image.jpeg

As above this is a photo of the complete stick

This is fantastic.  How did you make this please @Stimo22?

On 02/09/2018 at 18:52, Dougy said:

I've got some 10mm and you struggle parting them. Have a look about and saw it size you can get away with. Then you need to look at how you are going to attach it, possible use an epoxy adhesive. 

some of the rare earth magnets they have on the web are 1" diameter with a countersunk hole in them.......dont think you can buy one at a time...think its at least 1/2 doz....qite cheap..........

CAUTION.......DO DOT TRAP YOUR FINGER FLESH TWIXT MAGNETS THEY ARE WICKERDLY STRONG.......AND YOU NEED A BLADE TO SEPERATE THEM....

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

On 02/09/2018 at 17:43, Big Al said:

I'm thinking of fitting a small but powerfull magnet in a few of my stick ferrules to help with cartridge pick up?

Has anyone else done this? Which magnets did you use and where did you get them?How many would I need?

Any guidance appreciated. 

Hello, have done 3 sticks so far, 1 x 10 mm magnet 12 x 8 mm magnets, 10 mm in bottom of stick, the 12 x 8 mm spaced out 4inch and 3 inch high on shaft, i just drilled holes to let in the 3mm magnets  flush and glued, i bought the magnets off eBay , I used pointed wood drill bits from £ shop, aruldite type glue from £ shop, miss spelt glue 🙄😁, I tried a bunch of magnets drilled and glued in bottom of stick but that was no good so found single magnets done as above picks up cases far better, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, have done 3 sticks so far, 1 x 10 mm magnet 12 x 8 mm magnets, 10 mm in bottom of stick, the 12 x 8 mm spaced out 4inch and 3 inch high on shaft, i just drilled holes to let in the 3mm magnets  flush and glued, i bought the magnets off eBay , I used pointed wood drill bits from £ shop, aruldite type glue from £ shop, miss spelt glue 🙄😁, I tried a bunch of magnets drilled and glued in bottom of stick but that was no good so found single magnets done as above picks up cases far better, 

Hello, bought my Neodymium Magnets from Chenya -2391 eBay number 174352865740. You may find 4mm thick magnets better and same size O/D, sticks were 20/25mm O/D 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2020 at 17:56, ditchman said:

some of the rare earth magnets they have on the web are 1" diameter with a countersunk hole in them.......dont think you can buy one at a time...think its at least 1/2 doz....qite cheap..........

CAUTION.......DO DOT TRAP YOUR FINGER FLESH TWIXT MAGNETS THEY ARE WICKERDLY STRONG.......AND YOU NEED A BLADE TO SEPERATE THEM....

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Is this the type?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Earth-DIY-Industrial-Strong-Ring-Neo-Neodymium-Disc-Round-Magnet-with-Hole-/201984191843?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

10 minutes ago, Big Al said:

yup ...thats the type....the ones i have are about the same diametr as an old penny..............WATCH YOUR FINGERS

7 hours ago, figgy said:

Yes the N52 is quite strong but go for a as big as you can,  deep too. The case on a shotgun cart is so thing you need a strong magnet to hold them good enough.

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

yup ...thats the type....the ones i have are about the same diametr as an old penny..............WATCH YOUR FINGERS

Thanks for that.👍👍

On 18/12/2020 at 06:43, fatchap said:

Also what hasn't been mentioned so far is the ferrule, A brass ferrule significantly cuts down the power of the magnet, even the NB ones if you put it inside. 

Hello, one of the sticks I did had a brassed steel ferrule and I drilled and glued 2 10x 3 mm in and worked ok,  one I did for the farm owner and picks up 3 to 4 at a time enough for a standing gun,