Pick up and demountable

pigeon controller

Talking with my son a few weeks ago he was saying I need to change my car soon and what are the options. I currently shoot with a Disco 2 TD5 which I had new in 2004, it's covered 187 K and suits me well. My back up car is my sons Disco 2 V-8 should mine fail. The posh car which the wife drives is a Disco 5.

We were thinking of having a ranger or similar with a caravan demountable and also a shooting tub demountable ( van type body) so on my excursions to Greece each year we could tour Europe a bit but I could use the Van system for shooting. I've seen caravan conversions but do not recall working type tubs. We would possible lease the vehicle so I'm always covered by warranty on holiday etc.

Any thoughts!

The Yanks have been doing just this for years but I have not seen a UK version.  My pal in the US had one which you simply disconnected the electrics(plug) unclipped the retaining clips and lowered the legs which had ratchets on so you could just lift it off the bed.  Drive carefully forward and the unit stood there on it's own  ....bed was clear.

Just googled and a firm called NorthStar do just as described above for sale in the UK.

Edited by Walker570

I went to see a Mazda b2500 the other week with a view to buying it as a shooting truck. Turns out that it had been used from new as the base for a demountable camper, and what's more, the bloke selling it runs the UK demountable camper club. He had a flat aluminium load cover for the bed when it wasn't in use as a camper van. 

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You appear to be going down the Thunderbird 2 route!

Brilliant!!!!!

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

The Yanks have been doing just this for years but I have not seen a UK version.  My pal in the US had one which you simply disconnected the electrics(plug) unclipped the retaining clips and lowered the legs which had ratchets on so you could just lift it off the bed.  Drive carefully forward and the unit stood there on it's own  ....bed was clear.

Just googled and a firm called NorthStar do just as described above for sale in the UK.

Thanks one to ponder over the dark winter months, thanks.