Alastair Cook Retires

chrisjpainter

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Right time I reckon, but then again.......is it?........I see Ian Bell scored a double century recently!  

Aye you're not wrong. Bell's been piling on the runs in all formats. He might be the answer to one headache in the short term. If Root doesn't want to bat 3 (and I think it's pretty clear he doesn't), Bell could come in there. Now though, we have no one in 1 and 2! We're heading to Sri Lanka with no top order. Bell could just slot in 3. He plays spin well, he's right handed and he's got experience of gruelling matches at the highest level. You can't discount a 5-time ashes winner lightly.

Cook though, he is, to my mind the greatest opening batsman to play test cricket. 

19 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Cook though, he is, to my mind the greatest opening batsman to play test cricket. 

He was at top opener was best when he batted with Strauss. making him captain was that good for him??? I think not and he could not catch a cold,

but as the best opening batsman in test cricket well Gayle, Smith, Hayden, Gavaskar, these lads will take some toping,  

27 minutes ago, The gouse said:

He was at top opener was best when he batted with Strauss. making him captain was that good for him??? I think not and he could not catch a cold,

but as the best opening batsman in test cricket well Gayle, Smith, Hayden, Gavaskar, these lads will take some toping,  

If you're referring to Chris Gayle then I would certainly rate Alastair Cook over him as a test batsman, some other great names mentioned though. 

I saw a stat on tv where he only averaged 27 in his last 25 innings, a shadow of his former self, to some his style of play might appear a bit boring but to me his mental toughness could only be admired when he first came onto the test scene, his performances in the 2010-11 ashes were pretty darn special. Hope he finishes on a high, a player of his class deserves it. :good:

To open the batting is hard at any level let alone in Test matches. The bowlers are fresh. You have the pace attack wanting to rip your throat out with a brand new, hard, ball, and the ball is inevitably swinging and seaming from the very first ball. I've done it at club level but always felt I was surviving rather than playing cricket.   

For England his record includes - most matches, most wins, most as captain, most catches and most centuries.

Was he the best ever? I don't know but definitely one of them. 

Take a well earned break on the farm Chef. 

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

So pleased he delivered in this test. Pure class.

I'll be cheering on Jimmy tomorrow....

What a test match it'll be if Jimmy gets just one more wicket, a true great of the modern game.

As for that innings by Alastair Cook, one saying just sprung to mind which I believe is quite fitting, 'Form is temporary Class is Permanent.' :good:

Incredible day yesterday, how he carried on batting after a 5 minute standing ovation I have no idea. Cook is a great ambassador for the sport. I think now he is the top scoring left hand player and the top scoring opener ever.

Some shoes to fill, if we could get 2 good openers we would be the best side in the world. Our middle order is the best in the world and our bowlers are right up there with Jimmy leading the way.

Today they should blow them away.