Not So "British" BT

wymberley

Absolutely livid here. If anyone in East Devon can see rising steam, then I'm the source. My MiL is from the the old biddy era back in the day when as soon as a bill arrived it was paid. I always figured that they were programmed and unable to do anything but. Her son was visiting a couple of weeks back when the phone rang. It was BT pointing out that she'd not paid her bill. Quick chat and the caller was informed that she'd had no bill and said caller agreed that she'd always paid promptly and another one would be sent forthwith. No sign of this by the time that said son goes home so all reverts to Plan A. This is all mail goes on the sideboard and is checked out by eldest daughter. Should a bill arrive then said daughter takes Mum down to the Post Office in the car to pay it. On son's departure both daughters were primed to keep an eye out for it  but nothing until this morning when her phone was cut off. Senior daughter arrives to find Mum in tears and shaking like a leaf with all the worry of the heinous crime she must have committed. Daughter had words with the poor devil who had the temerity to pick up the phone at BT. Mil is coming up 93, cannot walk more than a few yards and although not totally so (close for my money) is registered blind and I believe that it's only sheer bloody minded determination that keeps her living in her little bungalow albeit with various back up safety factors built in - can't last much longer I feel.

Thanks a bunch, BT you made her day.:ninja:

What will also **** you off is the fact she will pay more for her paper bill and not shopping around for the best deal.  Then check her energy and I would guess she is on far from the cheapest deal as she has been loyal to a supplier.  

We’ve had to drag the father in law away from the likes of British Gas as he was being ripped off something chronic at 90

There should be a way if registering your MIL as a 'vulnerable' customer I believe.  I did this many years ago (15+ years) with my father, who was on his own and dependant on the phone.

It means they get prioritised repairs and some sort of protection from being cut off (not sure exactly how it works).  Local Authority Social Services or someone like "Help the Aged" may be able to tell you how to get hold of the right 'bit' of BT to do this.  I know when I got the right department (then in Cardiff) they were very helpful.

You can also register similarly with energy suppliers.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I think that your local paper, local TV, national media and your MP should all be made aware of BT's outrageous behaviour, in order to 'name and shame' and to ensure, hopefully, that this does not happen to others in the future.

OB  

8 hours ago, Harnser said:

bT have never been able to get away from the nationalised industry mentality. They are absolutely rubbish . They still think that we carnt live with out them .

harnser

Possibly true as they control the main telecommunications infrastructure?

This is the downside of all companies, all seem to strive for total domination of their sectors to eliminate competition?

Recently a new built house managed to cut the phone and broadband lines to mine and a few other houses. 

Bt were told over a week ago. 3 of us work from home and have child care arrangements.

The wife had to travel 50 odd miles to MIL and she had the baby whilst wife worked from there. child care cant be cancelled at such short notice so we are over 100 quid out of pocket for that week alone. I alos had a couple of days off to make up the shortfall. 

Bt arrived and dug a hole. Apparently it wasnt big enough and didnt go far enough to the right so they filled it in and booked the dig team to return the following friday.  Almost unbelievable really. An engineer wad there whilst it was dug. What private industry would tolerate such behavior?

By friday i will be 200 quid out of pocket for un used childcare and would have been without a phone line for 2 weeks. Next door estimates shes lost over a grand in business as a minimum. We get no mobile signal at home. 

Bt couldnt care less.

I pray for virgin media. We had no such issues with them for over 10 years. Id drop bt in a heart beat. 

Leave BT. 

They threatened me with CCJs court the lot in 2017 because i cancelled a DD for an old email account. I was being charged £5 a month for this account. 

They said that i had broken a contract, but could not prove that i actually had a contract. 

I received many letters and apparently emails ( on an account that was no longer in use) threatening legal action. 

I made various entertaining phone calls to none English speaking little dark people about my none existant contract. 

It all ended with BT sending me a cheque for £3.89 for overpayments.

Its still on my wall in the kitchen un cashed to remind me to NEVER have dealing with this useless company ever again. 

BRITISH TELECOM MY BOTTOM..

On 04/09/2018 at 05:36, JohnfromUK said:

There should be a way if registering your MIL as a 'vulnerable' customer I believe.  I did this many years ago (15+ years) with my father, who was on his own and dependant on the phone.

It means they get prioritised repairs and some sort of protection from being cut off (not sure exactly how it works).  Local Authority Social Services or someone like "Help the Aged" may be able to tell you how to get hold of the right 'bit' of BT to do this.  I know when I got the right department (then in Cardiff) they were very helpful.

You can also register similarly with energy suppliers.

Good point!