Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lloyd90

Fuel efficient 4x4? Do they exist?

    Recommended Posts

    Right I now work Under 2 miles away from home so the cost of running a 4x4 isn’t as prohibitive. 

    The main cost of journeys for me would be all the running around for Shooting, visiting family down west wales and trips away etc. 

    My current car is a 2015 focus with about 35k - on auto trader they’re going for about £8k so thinking of that as a rough budget, as I would sell the car as not needing both. 

    Ideally I’d want some 4 wheel drive and be able to drive the fields, space for the dog to be kept in the back and room for shooting gear etc. Have no kids and don’t need to tow anything. 

    Good fuel consumption would be a bonus as I have read some vehicles of this type are getting just over 40mpg which would be desirable! 

    Many tips on my best options would be appreciated :) 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

    Not a diesel if it’s short journeys or you’ll get the the old particulate filter clogging up issue! 

    What issue is that sorry? 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Ive just bought a rav 4. On a 06 plate for 3k. And so far its brilliant. 2.2 diesel 140hp will tow 2 ton and on a 100mile trip i averaged 54mpg. Just pottering around near home its still doing 46-48mpg. 

    Not a propa 4x4 but with it so dry ive not challenged it yet. Time will tell.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    A lot

    24 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

    What issue is that sorry? 

    A lot of Diesel motors now have a DPF filter. If you only pootle around with them doing  short journeys many folk say they clog up. I have heard if you give the engine a good thrashing once a week it keeps them clear, that being said I have had Diesel cars and trucks for the last 12 years with no bother. At the moment I am driving a Velar 2L 240BHP and that's averaging mid to high 40's most places on the road and quite capable off road too.   

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Freelander 2, 8k should find you a tidy one mine is an auto and will do 40mpg on the motorway pre 2010 will not have dpf

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Rav4, (or the Honda equivalent) preferably diesel, buy the newest and lowest miler your budget will allow, I'd be amazed if you get 40 real world miles per gallon (sticking it in top gear and keeping to 75 for 3 hours on the motorway is not a realistic indicator) but it's the closest you will get to covering most of the bases of your remit with the added benefit that they should prove reliable too. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, haynes said:

    Ive just bought a rav 4. On a 06 plate for 3k. And so far its brilliant. 2.2 diesel 140hp will tow 2 ton and on a 100mile trip i averaged 54mpg. Just pottering around near home its still doing 46-48mpg. 

    Not a propa 4x4 but with it so dry ive not challenged it yet. Time will tell.

    Not wanting to cause an arguement but methinks your trip computer is bust.

    That sort of economy isn't realistic in an 06 RAV4.

    I don't think Toyota would agree with your figures

    :shaun:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

    Right I now work Under 2 miles away from home so the cost of running a 4x4 isn’t as prohibitive. 

    The main cost of journeys for me would be all the running around for Shooting, visiting family down west wales and trips away etc. 

    My current car is a 2015 focus with about 35k - on auto trader they’re going for about £8k so thinking of that as a rough budget, as I would sell the car as not needing both. 

    Ideally I’d want some 4 wheel drive and be able to drive the fields, space for the dog to be kept in the back and room for shooting gear etc. Have no kids and don’t need to tow anything. 

    Good fuel consumption would be a bonus as I have read some vehicles of this type are getting just over 40mpg which would be desirable! 

    Many tips on my best options would be appreciated :) 

    Go for a petrol one mate. I bought a new diesel Freelander 2 ten years ago, and, while it's been a brilliant vehicle both on and off road, I haven't done the mileage to warrant buying one, despite diesel fuel being cheaper when I bought the vehicle. (I've only done 63000 since new) I'm getting around 43 mpg IF I drive it 'properly' ie not bombing up the hills etc as you well know we have here. Diesels are also more expensive to service.

    My next vehicle will hopefully be a new Jimny, especially as I like the shape of the new ones on sale 2019.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I have a diesel Honda CRV 65 plate, the 4x4 160 bhp version.

    It does over 50mpg in the summer and about 46 in the winter.

    Not a proper off-roader but it has got through muddy field entrances which stranded a normal FWD car, and up wet grassy hills, as well as over stubble fields. The 4x4 has a little more ground clearance than the 2WD version. It would fit your requirements well.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

    Skoda Yeti for shooting vehicle.

    Bicycle for 2 mile work journey.

    Quids in.

    Would go with that suggestion.  Friend just purchased an electric bike brand new for £400 for every day use.

    The Yeti is a nice motor and I looked for ages for a second hand one for my wife but specifically wanted a red or yellow and they where like rocking horse droppings.

    There again a petrol Jimny with a LPG tank / conversion would be a consideration.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Personally I would keep the Focus, and buy a very cheap 4x4  to use on the fields, then fuel consumption isnt really an issue.
    Many insurers do reasonable multi car insurance now.
    Daihatsu Terios, Freelanders and maybe a cheap Jimny, should be do able for about  £1k , no 4x4 will do the MPG of the Focus Im afraid.
     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, shaun4860 said:

    Not wanting to cause an arguement but methinks your trip computer is bust.

    That sort of economy isn't realistic in an 06 RAV4.

    I don't think Toyota would agree with your figures

    :shaun:

    Ill have to do it the old fashioned way. I was surpried buy the readings too. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Landrover Freelander 2 manual diesel I have.. love it. A cross between a 4x4 and a car so went for that. I only do 2 mile journeys 3 times a day and never had a problem. As B725 said no DPF and about £260 tax a year. It goes for a decent drive a couple of times a week though. Lots of space for the dogs, I have back seats down and dog guard up. 

    Paid £5000 for mine 16 months ago, 2008 plate with 83,000 on at the time. On the short 2 mile journeys she does 31 mpg and longer journeys 36mpg but motorways usually around 39mpg depending how you drive it, pleased with that on a 10yr old car. She is not bad off road, has new all-terrain tyres and never got stuck. Also can tow up to 2t with it. The other day after 2 days heavy rain the farmer only left a couple of foot strip that wasn't ploughed around the edge of the field we had to drive through, the half the car was on the ploughed field the other half muddy, wet field with a stream going through it and surprisingly she done a nice job. They also have a nice bit of power to them, 160bhp a nice drive and a 6 speed gearbox. 

    I nearly bought a TD5 Landrover or a pick up, but after driving both they aren't as nice to drive as my FL2, they only get about 20/25mpg and wanted something a bit better on fuel really. 

    Edited by Pigeonshooter22

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, haynes said:

    Ive just bought a rav 4. On a 06 plate for 3k. And so far its brilliant. 2.2 diesel 140hp will tow 2 ton and on a 100mile trip i averaged 54mpg. Just pottering around near home its still doing 46-48mpg. 

    Not a propa 4x4 but with it so dry ive not challenged it yet. Time will tell.

    This, I had an 05. before getting a Hilux and my wife has recently bought a 13 plate. MY Dad has an 06. Brilliant cars/SUV - compromise vehicle.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    36 minutes ago, Penelope said:

    This, I had an 05. before getting a Hilux and my wife has recently bought a 13 plate. MY Dad has an 06. Brilliant cars/SUV - compromise vehicle.

     

    I have heard good things about the Rav4 many times now, will take a look! 

    Edited by Lloyd90

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

    I have heard good things about the Hilux many times now, will take a look! 

    I was referring to the Rav4. I wouldn't consider the Hilux as being economical/fuel efficient, certainly not in comparison to the Rav 4. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Just now, Penelope said:

    I was referring to the Rav4. I wouldn't consider the Hilux as being economical/fuel efficient, certainly not in comparison to the Rav 4. 

    So was I sorry! Bloody brain **** and wrote down hilux after I saw it in your post. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I think fuel consumption is a tred herring and the least of your concerns. Difference between 30 mpg and 40 mpg over 8000 miles might be about £400 which is nothing in running costs compared to reliability repairs, tax and insurance.

    Starting point should be where do you need / want to go with the vehicle. Do you really need a full on 4x4 or will a soft roader do? Could you manage with a front wheel drive with decent tyres?  My Hilux does 35mpg which is great, but what makes it cheap to run is reliability, resale, tax and insurance which is all sensible. I do my utmost to avoid using it's off road potential and in most instances a well tyred front wheel drive would do the job. 

    I could probably manage with something like a RAV but I want the pick up for the deer and moving all the other stuff about. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, oowee said:

    I think fuel consumption is a tred herring and the least of your concerns. Difference between 30 mpg and 40 mpg over 8000 miles might be about £400 which is nothing in running costs compared to reliability repairs, tax and insurance.

    Starting point should be where do you need / want to go with the vehicle. Do you really need a full on 4x4 or will a soft roader do? Could you manage with a front wheel drive with decent tyres?  My Hilux does 35mpg which is great, but what makes it cheap to run is reliability, resale, tax and insurance which is all sensible. I do my utmost to avoid using it's off road potential and in most instances a well tyred front wheel drive would do the job. 

    I could probably manage with something like a RAV but I want the pick up for the deer and moving all the other stuff about. 

    This ^^^^^

    rememder as soon as you select 4WD

     fuel consumption plummets at times when out using  low box 4wd for prolonged periods I’m lucky to get 10 mpg 

    also consider changing tyres to AT or mud considerably reduces your mpg 

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, arjimlad said:

    I have a diesel Honda CRV 65 plate, the 4x4 160 bhp version.

    It does over 50mpg in the summer and about 46 in the winter.

    Not a proper off-roader but it has got through muddy field entrances which stranded a normal FWD car, and up wet grassy hills, as well as over stubble fields. The 4x4 has a little more ground clearance than the 2WD version. It would fit your requirements well.

    I have only had mine a short time but both me and my wife really like it , very comfortable , plenty of clearance on the stubble fields and although I haven't been anywhere to test the 4 x 4 although  where I have been across stubble fields the motor have made light work of it , fuel wise ( diesel ) I recon I get around 40 ish . 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, marsh man said:

    I have only had mine a short time but both me and my wife really like it , very comfortable , plenty of clearance on the stubble fields and although I haven't been anywhere to test the 4 x 4 although  where I have been across stubble fields the motor have made light work of it , fuel wise ( diesel ) I recon I get around 40 ish . 

    I had an 11 plate and drove it places that would be better avoided, the 4x4 trickery stuff is pretty impressive on the mud. What ultimately let it down were road tyres and ground clearance (i lost all of the little spoiler air bits off the front). When it went for service the sides of the engine and gearbox were jammed against the bulkhead with mud and locked solid. Testament to the engineering in that my abuse did not wreck it. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×