Fuel efficient 4x4? Do they exist?

Lloyd90

My shooting truck is my Jimny, 14 miles twice a day for work and driven steady is giving 37mpg with AT tyres on.

I use it for all my shooting activities including strapping two strimmers on the roof for shoot work partys. Love it, very capable off road.

It just might not be ideal for you on longer journeys although I know a guy who twice annually travels from Essex to Somerset in his loaded with shooting and fishing gear. But as suggested would it be viable to have a sole shooting vehicle ?? You could get a Jimny and rip the back seats out, board it and you will have a great vehicle with the right tyres on :good:  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Would go with that suggestion.  Friend just purchased an electric bike brand new for £400 for every day use.

The Yeti is a nice motor and I looked for ages for a second hand one for my wife but specifically wanted a red or yellow and they where like rocking horse droppings.

There again a petrol Jimny with a LPG tank / conversion would be a consideration.

Still looking for a red one ?

2.0 TDI Cr S 4x4 at Evens Halshaw in the West Midland. 61 plate at £5.5k.

On 05/09/2018 at 16:21, salop sniper said:

My shooting truck is my Jimny, 14 miles twice a day for work and driven steady is giving 37mpg with AT tyres on.

I use it for all my shooting activities including strapping two strimmers on the roof for shoot work partys. Love it, very capable off road.

It just might not be ideal for you on longer journeys although I know a guy who twice annually travels from Essex to Somerset in his loaded with shooting and fishing gear. But as suggested would it be viable to have a sole shooting vehicle ?? You could get a Jimny and rip the back seats out, board it and you will have a great vehicle with the right tyres on :good:  

+1 to this. There great little cars and get most places without any mods bar tyres. If you decide to mod it though you will find there virtually unstoppable. 2.5inch lift, 215/80/15 tyres and a Detroit rear locker and you will literally go where no car/truck has gone before. Ask how I know :D

On 06/09/2018 at 05:12, shootgun said:

Like above, mine is 2010 non DPF , manual and i’m getting 45mpg on the motorway.

Any tips on what to lookout for on the freelander? 

Newer model or less mileage? 

Assume to look for manual? 

Also what year did the DPf come in please? 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I would go for a less mileage one and a TD4 E if possible, as is start-stop and is cheaper to tax.

DPF came in late 2010 as far as i'm aware.

Another way of looking at it Lloyd is what does your misses drive? We have two cars, mine an estate which doesn't really like popping round town but is great on longer journeys, and the wifes a golf which is fine everywhere but smaller obviously.

could you get something like a Jimmy and use the other halves car if going on a longer run?

• 1 month later...
On 14/09/2018 at 02:10, Mice! said:

Another way of looking at it Lloyd is what does your misses drive? We have two cars, mine an estate which doesn't really like popping round town but is great on longer journeys, and the wifes a golf which is fine everywhere but smaller obviously.

could you get something like a Jimmy and use the other halves car if going on a longer run?

Afraid not she does a 30-40 min commute to work each morning - she has a micro sport which is terrible for the commute so she’s going to chop it in soon for something else.

shes just saving up atm as went don’t tend to buy things on credit (apart from our mortgage). 

I would put off road tyres on the focus. Shooting is i guess a small part of your traveling so have something that suits your use most of the time ie the focus. If you 'need' a 4x4 it will be no better than a focus fitted with off road tyres, if it does not have good ground clearance and tyres to suit. Even with a 4x4 it's far better to avoid using the full off road capability as you will at some point get stuck. Would you be happy seriously using a 4x4 getting it plastered dented and scratched and then using it as works transport. Even with seat covers I would not get in mine with a suit on :lol: If you need convincing look at the state of mine lol. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I would put off road tyres on the focus. Shooting is i guess a small part of your traveling so have something that suits your use most of the time ie the focus. If you 'need' a 4x4 it will be no better than a focus fitted with off road tyres, if it does not have good ground clearance and tyres to suit. Even with a 4x4 it's far better to avoid using the full off road capability as you will at some point get stuck. Would you be happy seriously using a 4x4 getting it plastered dented and scratched and then using it as works transport. Even with seat covers I would not get in mine with a suit on :lol: If you need convincing look at the state of mine lol. 

I like your truck 😂 I think all that mud inside adds character lol 😜

I have a 2010 2.2 diesel manual Rav4 4x4. I bought it five years ago with 36,000 on the clock, it's now done 106,000  miles. Serviced every 10,000 just discs and pads replaced, original exhaust and battery, passed every MOT, no problems, just keeps going, average mpg 48/50.

Excellent car.

On 09/09/2018 at 14:39, Lloyd90 said:

Mine is 61 plate, and if its got a dpf its not thrown a wobble at me in the last 4 years. 

Edited by ShootingEgg
Dof to dpf

10 minutes ago, countryman said:

A Defender, any thing else is sissy.

Of the two people I know that have them, they’re never out. 

Not sure if it’s because of the fuel consumption or they don’t want to get them dirty. They do look nice when cleaned and polished sat on the driveway tho 🤣

Back in Wales I remember going foxing with a lad off here in his Defender 90. 

I would liken the experience to being put in a barrel and pushed down a hill 😜🤣

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Of the two people I know that have them, they’re never out. 

Not sure if it’s because of the fuel consumption or they don’t want to get them dirty. They do look nice when cleaned and polished sat on the driveway tho 🤣

Back in Wales I remember going foxing with a lad off here in his Defender 90. 

I would liken the experience to being put in a barrel and pushed down a hill 😜🤣

But you didnt get stuck hahaha.. 

I do 60 to 70 miles per day commute, currently have a 2004 x trail which has been superb. It’s sitting at 182k and I feel it maybe giving up the ghost so I am starting to look at other options.

i did look at the freelander 2,  on paper they are listed with higher mpg than most others in the same class. 

I have found a lovely 2009 x trail so I am considering that. Mate of mine has the 4x4 Qashqai and I have to say it performs very well around the fields.  Another lad on the shoot has a Honda CR-V, also copes with much more than I thought it would. 

I do like the idea of a freelander 2, however it would take a lot for me to return back to the green oval, I had a 2010 Range Rover sport and it was horrific for things going wrong. We also have a brand new disco sport at work, again the things that have gone wrong with it at the age it’s at....

my local mechanic swears by the freelander 2, I guess you take your chances no matter what.