You can't shoot the fairy fields

Mightymariner

The last few weeks have been fairly lean for pigeon shooting, with birds spread all over and all too easy for them to move to quieter fields. There's plenty of stubble still but it's been hard to find concentrations of birds.

Yesterday I went out not hopeful I would find anything worth setting up for.

I avoided fields close to home as I know they are over run with shooters at this time of year and went further afield to a lovely village right in the Wolds. I know this hasn't been shot in ages so it was a safe bet if I could find any birds.

I found a few on an old rape stubble and a few more on a disced rape stubble but not enough to make me want to get the gear out. Last call was an old wheat stubble which JDog and I shot a few weeks ago. Here there were about 60 birds spread about, with most feeding on the southern edge. However, there were more birds heading to a roughly cultivated field which is owned by a company which grows flowers and herbs etc for 'alternative therapies'. The company has a retreat in the village and people come from all over the world for healing and therapy. I have asked to shoot these fields before but the owner is against shooting, telling my friend that 'shooting would disturb the fairies in the area'. They also don't like herbicides so their fields are often covered in pigeons. I had no choice but to set up on the wheat stubble. I put a rope banger as close to the fairy field as I could to try and keep them off it.

Actually it wasn't bad, I had birds coming from behind and straight on, some decoying, some coming for a look. I had the wind in my face slightly but I could cope and it meant stuff coming from behind was nice and low.

I shot 16 which included one at 50 yards out and one which decoyed from 250 yards away, curling in, left to right and dropping dead. That's the most I have shot in about three weeks.

We all know what the owner knows ... The only fairies in those fields will be the tree-hugging holisticals who've run away from the world in order to 'find themselves and contemplate the deeper spiritual nature of existence' or some such similar load of old sock-wash.

Can't go making the 'fairies' jump when something goes BANG when they're concentrating on such meaningful thoughts  (Especially if they're paying a couple of hundred a week to be pandered to ;) )

18 minutes ago, Longstrider said:

We all know what the owner knows ... The only fairies in those fields will be the tree-hugging holisticals who've run away from the world in order to 'find themselves and contemplate the deeper spiritual nature of existence' or some such similar load of old sock-wash.

Can't go making the 'fairies' jump when something goes BANG when they're concentrating on such meaningful thoughts  (Especially if they're paying a couple of hundred a week to be pandered to ;) )

My wifes been teling our children and grandchidren that we have fairys at the bottom of our garden for over 40 years! now you tell me you have a field full at the bottom of your permission? now im confused. Better get me booked for some flower power therapy!