Receiving shotguns

steve_b_wales

Long story short. A neighbour of a friend of mine has had a massive stroke, which, at it's best, will leave him very disabled and unable to speak etc. The neighbour has two shotguns that will never be used again, and his wife has told my friend that he can have them.  The problem is, she doesn't know where the keys are, and how could my friend legally obtain the guns, as the owner cannot sign or speak to be able to legally hand them over.

18 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Ask your flo he’s there to help 

always found them very understanding in these situations 

all the best 

of

+1 for that found my FLO good to deal with when I lost my pal as for lost keys, drill unless you have access to a plasma cutter.

Edited by guzzicat

2 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

+1 for that found my FLO good to deal with when I lost my pal as for lost keys, drill unless you have access to a plasma cutter.

+2 , also no plasma cutter- cheapo angle grinder with cutting disc will suffice ( either way be aware that what’s inside could/will, be damaged— my way if no keys have been found is to use an HSS drill and drill a pattern around the lock area depending on the cabinet I.e brattonsound as opposed to Infac where it has a different bolt type mechanism. Set the drill depth for 10mm max and you won’t have any worries over what’s in there. Infac and the Browning safes plus some others will have a plate/ cover on the inside of the safe door and so grinding can be achieved without fear off damage to the guns.... sounds more complicated the way I have written it than actually showing / doing it) 

PM if stuck and I will put a little vid of the two types of safe locking mechanisms up to show what I mean.

18 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

+2 , also no plasma cutter- cheapo angle grinder with cutting disc will suffice ( either way be aware that what’s inside could/will, be damaged— my way if no keys have been found is to use an HSS drill and drill a pattern around the lock area depending on the cabinet I.e brattonsound as opposed to Infac where it has a different bolt type mechanism. Set the drill depth for 10mm max and you won’t have any worries over what’s in there. Infac and the Browning safes plus some others will have a plate/ cover on the inside of the safe door and so grinding can be achieved without fear off damage to the guns.... sounds more complicated the way I have written it than actually showing / doing it) 

PM if stuck and I will put a little vid of the two types of safe locking mechanisms up to show what I mean.

I did mention to him about contacting his/our FEO, and I also said that, depending on the make of the cabinet (I think it's a basic one with two locks) I/We can get it opened. I'll pass this advice on to him when I see him next.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

22 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Why no plasma cutter? I cut two holes in the back of an empty one without any drama

1 hour ago, guzzicat said:

Why no plasma cutter? I cut two holes in the back of an empty one without any drama

Of an ‘empty one’ , the heat and sparks generated on the inside of the cabinet will do damage to the guns for sure- just think of ‘weld splatter’ which goes sodding everywhere ( well it does for me until Ditchie teaches me correctly) 

3 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Of an ‘empty one’ , the heat and sparks generated on the inside of the cabinet will do damage to the guns for sure- just think of ‘weld splatter’ which goes sodding everywhere ( well it does for me until Ditchie teaches me correctly) 

Jaymo is correct.
Red hot fragments or sparks off a plasma or grinder will stick to whatever is inside.
The amount of times Ive seen car glass damaged because someone has been grinding nearby.
Also be aware there may be carts inside.

53 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I bet there are not many on here that haven't sneaked the odd one in without their wife knowing. 

OB

That’s the thing somebody should find his certificate 

just to check it’s just the two on it 

had a friend pass away wife asked if I could sort out his guns he had 5 ? got there to sort it opened cabinet eventually to find 9 

luckily they were all listed on his license