Bird ownership

Sawyet

We had situation a few years ago where we had an awful lot of partridge from the shoot next door coming onto some grass closes on our shoot. I was freindly with the keeper, I did not feed that area and would walk them off our land on the morning of their shoot days.

However one day the keeper appeared, very embarrassed as he had been sent by the shoot captain, to tell me to stop pigeon shooting on my own land as it was upsetting birds on their shoot. 

Needless to say I didn’t. I also ceased walking the partridges off and managed to have a couple of good partridge drives to boot.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/10/2018 at 11:10, Sawyet said:

Apologies for the delay in updating, been busy @ work 7 a couple of trips North for Salmon now the rain has come.

In a short word, no, the new "regime" have seemingly gone out of their way to alienate not just me but the other landowners in the area.

I had a chat with the keeper shortly after my original post explaining our position & asking him to justify his request (which for obvious reasons he could not), he became rude & abusive at which point I informed him that as no agreement was in place then he would not be shooting from our land as the previous lads had. This did not go down too well, not quite sure what he expected, & we parted company.

Last laugh goes to us though, in order to fit an extra drive in he has altered things around which results in most of the birds from the first flush flying back over the beaters into the safety & comfort of our land where they seem to be quite happy!!

Basically I get the impression he is just an a$$hole who does not have a clue how operate in the countryside.

8 hours ago, Teal said:

I have to be honest, I'm surprised at the speed that some advocate escalating this. If they're a neighbour you'd be well advised to try and get on. You've said that they can't come onto your ground which is absolutely fair enough, but I personally wouldn't race them to the award for being a bad neighbour.

Someone has been granted permission to use someones ground for their shoot,then get informed they will be getting charged for any pheasants they shoot and you wonder why some advocate escalating?

The keeper has shown an attitude that gets so many of them off on a wrong footing and some never seem to learn.

I think the problem is that the keeper is trying to put a mark down & stamp his authority (ridiculous I know), as mentioned previously & since updated further, he has managed to fall out with the landowners on 3 sides of his shoot.

Ultimately I am not looking for a “war”, all we intend to do is wait until beaters day & in the morning flush anything from our land out onto theirs. The beaters will get a damm good day & maybe questions will be asked of the keeper.

My family have owned the land since before the war so have seen many come & go, I suspect this one will go before most. I understand that there are vacancies in the syndicate now for next season as there have been issues regarding “tips”.

Its a small world, one of the guns who has given notice is my Cousin & the other a very good friend.

Edited by Sawyet
Spelling

I can’t see any reason to escalate or involve shooting organisations.  The keeper has asked for something, which he was wrong to do.  His actions have caused the shoot to lose a drive with the added complication that he now potentially loses birds off his ground.  He’s lost, you won, keep it civilised there may come a day when you may need the help of your neighbour.

13 hours ago, Sawyet said:

I think the problem is that the keeper is trying to put a mark down & stamp his authority (ridiculous I know), as mentioned previously & since updated further, he has managed to fall out with the landowners on 3 sides of his shoot.

Ultimately I am not looking for a “war”, all we intend to do is wait until beaters day & in the morning flush anything from our land out onto theirs. The beaters will get a damm good day & maybe questions will be asked of the keeper.

My family have owned the land since before the war so have seen many come & go, I suspect this one will go before most. I understand that there are vacancies in the syndicate now for next season as there have been issues regarding “tips”.

Its a small world, one of the guns who has given notice is my Cousin & the other a very good friend.

I wonder if he does one season, ****** everyone off and then moves to another shoot to balls it all up.

On 19/10/2018 at 06:11, Sawyet said:

Does your wood hold that many birds?

Mabe this keeper is new to the game and thinks he can ride rough shot over his neighbors which is the wrong thing to do.

As a part time keeper myself by being polite to your neighbors we have been giving access to 6 farms on the borders of our shoot  to control the foxes and dogging birds back in and any other vermin to control.  As my farther ounce  said to me  manners dont cost you anything but can get you everything  

12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Ai but to be fair, of all the strangest folk I’ve ever met, the worst ones lived out in the sticks lol! 

Can't argue with that, Iven been working around the countryside for years, urban grief is nothing compared to what I see in the country!

8 hours ago, motty said:

Have you never been to London?

I have but people don’t normally visit the weirder areas 😂

31 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Can't argue with that, Iven been working around the countryside for years, urban grief is nothing compared to what I see in the country!

Share some stories - always a laugh! 

On 18/10/2018 at 19:44, sako751sg said:

Someone has been granted permission to use someones ground for their shoot,then get informed they will be getting charged for any pheasants they shoot and you wonder why some advocate escalating?

The keeper has shown an attitude that gets so many of them off on a wrong footing and some never seem to learn.

No one is disputing that the shoot next door are in the wrong, or that the people involved in it appear to be complete muppets. But the point is, the OP owns this land, and his family have been there a long time also. If he goes out there and does some of the things suggested, it's not just the shoot next door who will know but the wider community and his other neighbours, and he'll get a similar bad reputation to the shoot. It seems that he is of the opinion the shoot won't be there for long, and tbh puffing up your chest lining out to shoot when they have a drive on, catching up pheasants or feeding hard and killing everything will leave a bad taste for years to come. 

He's said the shoot can't come on his land anymore, and obviously isn't going to give them any money. I don't really think that justifies the action some have suggested. That's all I'm saying. 

The keeper is probably a bully and last thing as gun you want is to be arguing with him on a shoot day.  Spoil your day completely even if you had a word at the end of your day it’ll be all you remember of it. 

The guns should speak to the shoot captain and he should keep the keeper in line. As well as speaking to neighbours and pouring oil to calm the waters. The shoot captain seems just as at fault to me.