Bird ownership

Sawyet

They wouldn’t be the first shoot to ‘accidently’ have some dogs run through a surrounding wood pushing birds onto the land that they’re shooting. 

You kind of have to be on edge now to watch they don’t just continue to use your land anyway. 

Id lookout to be receptive of an apology, and look to re-negotiate the deal back into your favour. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

100%    Classic example of how to lose friends and make enemies.  I would be tempted to feed up and shoot everything I see, that is after telling them their extra drive no longer exists.

And if they have any drives close, get the clays out and let rip for a hour on shoot days. Nothing like early shots to mess up a drive. 

But I'd expect an apology soon tbh. 

We have a shoot next door. With one of there drives being a piece of wood that has two side bordering our fields. It started off can they put a picker up in our field. Of course they can. But just the one.

Anyway over the season it went from one picker up to 3 guns stood in our field and ended with them dogging in a piece of our railway and two fields. 

Thats where it stopped. 

Now they loose a lot of 'there' birds over our farm. 

Tough.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the delay in updating, been busy @ work 7 a couple of trips North for Salmon now the rain has come.

In a short word, no, the new "regime" have seemingly gone out of their way to alienate not just me but the other landowners in the area.

I had a chat with the keeper shortly after my original post explaining our position & asking him to justify his request (which for obvious reasons he could not), he became rude & abusive at which point I informed him that as no agreement was in place then he would not be shooting from our land as the previous lads had. This did not go down too well, not quite sure what he expected, & we parted company.

Last laugh goes to us though, in order to fit an extra drive in he has altered things around which results in most of the birds from the first flush flying back over the beaters into the safety & comfort of our land where they seem to be quite happy!!

Basically I get the impression he is just an a$$hole who does not have a clue how operate in the countryside.

50 minutes ago, Sawyet said:

Last laugh goes to us though, in order to fit an extra drive in he has altered things around which results in most of the birds from the first flush flying back over the beaters into the safety & comfort of our land where they seem to be quite happy!!

You will no doubt be needing more feeders?

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:10, Sawyet said:

Apologies for the delay in updating, been busy @ work 7 a couple of trips North for Salmon now the rain has come.

In a short word, no, the new "regime" have seemingly gone out of their way to alienate not just me but the other landowners in the area.

I had a chat with the keeper shortly after my original post explaining our position & asking him to justify his request (which for obvious reasons he could not), he became rude & abusive at which point I informed him that as no agreement was in place then he would not be shooting from our land as the previous lads had. This did not go down too well, not quite sure what he expected, & we parted company.

Basically I get the impression he is just an a$$hole who does not have a clue how operate in the countryside.

Sounds like you should get a few mates round and when they do the new drive have a few shots yourselves, then wander off laughing.

Unbelievable, but probably not. Have the same problem now sorted. My wife found one gun from local shoot picking up in our wood when they had specifically been told no access.

She voiced her concern and one gun shouted  "F off you stupod old cow" and a day later the shoot captaion did call to apologise. I asked if the gun in question was still a shoot member and he said he was.  I told him that in the case I rejected his apology and he went away.  If one of my guns had done that or even less abusive he would have been told to walk, there and then and don't return.

A few 45 gallon drum feeders needed i think.  As they say in the USA ...."ENJOY!!!"

16 minutes ago, old'un said:

if the keeper is full time he will be around the land 7 days a week, will you?

Just install some trail cams and if he trespasses, especially while armed you'll have video evedence.

Don't let him try and walk over you or imtimidate you.

He may just be an idiot with poor people skills, but it sounds to me that he feels it is his right, which it quite clearly is not.

Edited by Newbie to this

8 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Just install some trail cams and if he trespasses, especially while armed you'll have video evedence.

Don't let him try and walk over you or imtimidate you.

He may just be an idiot with poor people skills, but it sounds to me that he feels it is his right, which it quite clearly is not.

I think the video evidence will disappear along with the camera, although the OP is within his rights I have seen what some keepers are capable of when rubbed up the wrong way.

23 minutes ago, old'un said:

I think the video evidence will disappear along with the camera, although the OP is within his rights I have seen what some keepers are capable of when rubbed up the wrong way.

Possibly, but you will be surprised at the stupidity of some people, especially when they wouldn't normally break the law. 

I have to be honest, I'm surprised at the speed that some advocate escalating this. If they're a neighbour you'd be well advised to try and get on. You've said that they can't come onto your ground which is absolutely fair enough, but I personally wouldn't race them to the award for being a bad neighbour.

15 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Possibly, but you will be surprised at the stupidity of some people, especially when they wouldn't normally break the law. 

No I wouldn’t.

If it were me I would approach the shoot captain and say I am are willing to allow them to continue using the wood as one of their drives but I am not willing to pay for birds I shoot on my own land, if he does not agree with this just walk away but add that if he changes his mind the offer is still open, at least that way the door is still open for them, with no bad feelings.

Might be worth trying to check if the keeper is a member of any org, like the NGO. If he is, then contact them and they might have a word in his shell-like. Likewise if the shoot (or captain) is a member of BASC. I recall a shoot behaving badly with a neighbour in Yorkshire, which regional BASC staff sorted out. Worth a go, anyway.

38 minutes ago, stagboy said:

Might be worth trying to check if the keeper is a member of any org, like the NGO. If he is, then contact them and they might have a word in his shell-like. Likewise if the shoot (or captain) is a member of BASC. I recall a shoot behaving badly with a neighbour in Yorkshire, which regional BASC staff sorted out. Worth a go, anyway.

Yep, I am sure that will make everyone happy.:no:

I’ve been around for a good few years and in that time I have seen and been a victim to this type of bitching between shooting folk, why escalate it, in the end no one wins, just more bad blood between shooting people.

Edited by old'un

37 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, I am sure that will make everyone happy.:no:

I’ve been around for a good few years and in that time I have seen and been a victim to this type of bitching between shooting folk, why escalate it, in the end no one wins, just more bad blood between shooting people.

I do understand your point,  but in this particular case it seems that the keeper doesn't understand the law, so  it may be that a credible intermediary might be able to broker an agreement between the two sides. That's all.