Packing in booze

PPP

I commented on a thread a few weeks ago and a couple of others were going to follow suit..  I thought it might be useful to support each other to maybe inspire/warn others depending on how it goes.

Although I didn’t feel drinking was reckless or out of control, I had fallen into the habit drinking 2 or three beers every evening and sometimes more and had also put on a stone since Christmas ( a time when excess is the norm) probably 2 stone year on year and wanted to do something to break the cycle. The problem I found was that after 2 beers I would raid the kids crisps etc and that was the fundamental issue in weight gain.

So, after 9 days, it’s been pretty easy, I haven’t suffered the **** taking I had expected ( don’t want to not to go the pub) and I have discovered Adnams ghost ship alchohol free which isn’t as terrible as I had expected ( however for gods sake don’t try St Peters zero) and satisfying that urge for a beer, although it’s still high calorie so a shift to diet alternatives is in progress ( very sweet though)..

I definately feel mentally Sharper already, sleep is getting better and work shirts aren’t as dangerous as they were when I need to do top button up..

I don’t think I ll give up alchohol for ever, couldn’t never drink champagne again as a start but I’m definately dry until the autumn internationals, I’ll need a drink then as I have already realised how boring drunk friends are when I’m stone cold sober.  However I’m hoping that this will break the habit for good and with a healthier diet and some exercise I’m hoping to lose 1.5 stone by Christmas, and keep it off!

Sign up for Sober October (I do every year) and get absolutely everybody to sponsor you. That way if you crash and burn you are not just letting yourself down and you have the guilt.

Also you have a good reason for explaining why you don't want a drink 

Edited by Vince Green

Well done; my only comment would be to beware the diet stuff.  It is packed with artificial sweeteners, and these don't suite everyone.  I used to drink diet Coke when non alcoholic was needed and usually felt poor (maninly indigestion) afterwards.  Now prefer (when driving) non alcoholic cider which I find both pleasant and refreshing.  Also readily available in supermarket.  Some non alcoholic beers are OK, others quite revolting.

As per a recent thread on energy / diet drinks here, the odd alcoholic drink is in my opinion a whole lot better for you than any 'diet' garbage. I wouldn't touch it. Good quality non-diet tonic or soda would be my soft drink of choice. 

I lost three and a half stone in about 10 months simply by eating more veg, a lot less red meat, less cheese (and other obvious fatty stuff) and choosing mostly G&Ts and whisky over beer or wine. 

To be honest it was easy. I'm a pretty good cook which helps I guess. Thing is; didn't feel like I was 'on a diet' - still doesn't. It's great. :) 

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Now prefer (when driving) non alcoholic cider which I find both pleasant and refreshing.  Also readily available in supermarket.  Some non alcoholic beers are OK, others quite revolting.

Went this way myself about 10 years back when not so readily available so used to buy in bulk (along with other bits) at Much Markle  when passing.:innocent::innocent::D

It’s actually not that hard once you get over the first few days. I have given up drinking during the week as i commute to Coventry every day and can’t risk being over the limit the morning after. I have found that even with my only drink at the weekend rule i am drinking much less probably a couple of gin and slimlines on a friday and maybe a few beers saturday. I try and treat sunday as a non drinking day but may have a glass of wine or two with dinner. As other have said I feel sharper and the weight is coming off. Christmas might be a slightly different matter though!

35 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Went this way myself about 10 years back when not so readily available so used to buy in bulk (along with other bits) at Much Markle  when passing.:innocent::innocent::D

The first (non alcohol cider) one I had was the Marcle Orchard one.  Very refreshing drink.  Muck Marcle is about 25 miles from me.

Well done the fact you want to give up is great all be it for a month a week etc it doesnt matter its giving your body that break. 

I gave up 6 years ago due to a combination of having alcohol related ibs and hangovers from hell. I wasnt in a great place 7 years ago. Long story short we had tons of **** going on in our group of friends which wasn't helpful. 

I dont miss anything, the hangovers, depression or lulls that go with it, the cost, the lost days due to hangovers. If i go out now i drink alcohol free beers which are more and more popular and getting better. I still have a great laugh with my mates. 

Good luck its well worth it. Gordon

Well done PPP, keep it up, your liver will appreciate it for a start.  I have a chap comes in occasionally and gives me a hand around the place and he suddenly decided to go dry. He now does not drink anything alcoholic. He used to down a lot.  He is now sharper and fitter than he has been since his teens and into his late 50s.

Personally I enjoy a drink occasionally and my evening tipple is a double scotch and water before dinner.  I do not, other than on rare occasions eat anything after 6..30pm which I also think helps me maintain a reasonable 15 stone (6ft plus) and I sleep solidly. 

I am a chocoholic and will devour a large bar of Milk Tray in one go given the chance. I also enjoy my desserts with cream and custard and will often have two sometimes three servings.

The main thing is I keep active. The old(78yr) legs are not what they where, but i still swing a chainsaw for a day and keep my small 12 acres patch tidy in between being out shooting as often as I can which is most days. 

There is little doubt that 'ale' puts on weight, which then puts extra strain on your heart and the alcohol corrodes your liver.  Like smoking will screw your lungs and heart. 

Of course as in all situations, the person living to 100 smoking 30 a day all their lives will crop up in the argument, but how small a number is that compared to those pushing up daisies.   This aint a rehearsal so why waste it.

Edited by Walker570

13 hours ago, PPP said:

Thanks Gordon, I hadn’t thought about the costs but after two weeks there is more cash in my wallet than normal..

Starting to feel really great now and sleeping like a log, although seem to be shattered ... did you find this?

Yeah its weird but i slept worse when i was drinking even though you think your actually sleeping better. I work shifts and it didnt affect me as im always tired 😂 

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 21:52, novice cushie shooter said:

Yeah its weird but i slept worse when i was drinking even though you think your actually sleeping better. I work shifts and it didnt affect me as im always tired 😂 

That is a known fact, you sleep deeper when you are sober, when you have had a few drinks your body is working all night to process the alcohol, the same applies to a big meal before sleeping.

Its about the type of sleep 

Off at a tangent but still about alcohol; a few weeks back I was changing a life insurance policy and one question the guy asked me was how much alcohol per week I drunk? I said it would be easier to answer per month as often I only have a couple per month. The question would not allow him to put in this answer so he said I'll put the lowest, which was 5 units per week 😵

Used to go out for a skinful pretty regular but now its a blowout maybe every month or two or special occasions.

Havent had a drink for probably 2 months and just back from 4 days in Prague which was pretty non stop drink and it was relatively easy considering the time between seshes now.

Often think about going teetotal but i enjoy a good drink with the mates so cant see the point.It was always the day after i hated but seem to have got things sorted where those days are minimal now.