How easy to repair a fridge?

Lord Geordie

Reason being, the ex rang me the other day as her fridge freezer has packed in! I managed to rustle up £25 and buy her a second hand Miele fridge as she has a freezer already. Got the fridge off gumtree and got it home, let it stand for around three hours and set it away. It won't cool down according to her? It's staying at 10 degrees. 

I am now not in a position to get her another, so am looking online at scenarios that cause the symptoms. Blocked dryer seems to be a possibility and just wondering if an ultrasonic wave may dislodge any blockage? Or whether it would mean replacing the dryer phial. I plan to have a good look at it tomorrow and see if I can get it working for her, but if it's broke I will be a little miffed. I know it's caveat emptor and all that! But felt right doing the helping someone out! Now seems the only person I helped was the one selling the fridge :rolleyes: if we have a refrigeration tech I would be open to some suggestions please! Thanks awfully :good:   

8 hours ago, itchy trigger said:

try standing it upside down overnight, have a pal swears this works, something to do with the gas,

collects broken fridges, does this then sells the ones that work

This used to work with the old 'pre compressor' type (as were used from a heater element or gas flame in caravans etc.)  I don't believe it works with the more modern and efficient compressor types.

Well I shall give you all a little amusement!!

following a tip about looking around freecycle and the like I found another on Gumtree locally free for collection. I contacted the chap and verified he still had it. And said I would like to take it. He asked when i could collect so arranged a time to collect. He sent a text to say it was on the drive 20 mins before I arrived as he had to go to work! 

I get to the address and yup, there on the drive is the aforementioned fridge in all its glory! Out the car, open the boot and in it goes! Secure it in place and sets off home. 

Get it out the car and think to myself "where is the flex and plug"? closer inspection reveals some flaming scrappy had whipped the blooming compressor assembly out of the fridge in the 20 mins it was on the drive. I was gutted to be fair as it was apparently in good working order. 

Now after a few hours I see the funny side and am having a bit of a chuckle, so tomorrow need to make a trip to the tip with it. Next time look it over BEFORE putting it in the car :lol:

one day my doing right for others will GO right :yes: 

Edited by Lord Geordie