New gun---Bullpup or a BSA Ultra?

ratchers

Been thinking about getting a Bullpup for a while.

A FX Wildcat secondhand is an option but whats this P15 and Zbroia Kozak, not much written about them, and could buy new.

Or should I just get an Ultra SE, been thinking about getting one of those for even longer.

Its a nice light accurate gun that would be kind to my creaky shoulders.

FX are marmite, depends where you sit on that fence. I can state though, get an Ultra with a good barrel and you probably won’t need anything else. 

The P15 and Kozak look like copies of one-off bullpups made from HW100s over the years. That by no means, means they are rubbish, in fact they could be quite good. Only issue for me is that there have been a lot of companies come and go making PCPs over the last 25 years. Some of these makes were very good and made nice products but couldn’t survive. 

BSA have been around for ever, IMHO pays your money and takes your choice. 

Edited by The Burpster

even when I had my AA s400 classic I always fancied an Ultra, knowing if I did I would be sending it to JB to be blueprinted, they are small, light, easy to handle, I found the AA cumbersome, so I bought an Ultra second hand, its been away to be blueprinted, due to arrive back from JB before 1pm today, oiled the stock while its been away, was accurate before cannot wait to put it back together and try it

The Ultra SE is a cracking little rifle out of the box. When I had mine, it did 22 shots in the 'sweet spot' ,so I fitted a Regulator which took it up to 35, before

It started to drop off. I sold it to a mate who still has it , and still cherishes it. 

I bought its slightly bigger brother the Scorpion SE tactical (as light as the wooden stocked Ultra),and fitted a Huma reg . 70 shots  Awesome !

The zbroia kozak is a superb rifle that needs nothing doing to it out the box... not even a blueprint 😂

Finish and quality put rifles costing double to shame.. 

Regulated so big shot count, HW type mags with a cocking system smooth as silk.. 

The P15 is a cracking little rifle to but the std shroud is a little pants but you can stick a mod straight on the barrel....both have around 170 shot count  

I currently own both rifles (had 3 P15 as I love modding them) kozak been my firm favourite.... After getting my 1st P15 I sold the Hw100 as I was that impressed with it.... 

Shoulder either first as they're not everyone's cuppa tea 

Edited by snipper

• 10 months later...

Apologies for dragging up an old post but I've just ordered a spanking new P15 - should be here end of the week. Been looking at used prices and some are dearer than new - paid £439. new and seen them up for £450 + so not sure what's going on. Reviews seem to vary wildly, anything from total carp to being likened to the return of the Messiah so only time will tell. After years of promising myself I would never part with my duo of S410's, the classic simply had to go as health issues mean that carrying the thing was too tiring - kept the carbine but even that is starting to feel weighty. Noticed that accuracy issues with the P15 seem to be connected to the magazine so will be on the lookout for a decent aftermarket jobby, besides, most of my shooting is only around the 20 yard mark so the gun should be up to the task. Anyone in PW land have any experience with this bullpuppy?

23 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Apologies for dragging up an old post but I've just ordered a spanking new P15 - should be here end of the week. Been looking at used prices and some are dearer than new - paid £439. new and seen them up for £450 + so not sure what's going on. Reviews seem to vary wildly, anything from total carp to being likened to the return of the Messiah so only time will tell. After years of promising myself I would never part with my duo of S410's, the classic simply had to go as health issues mean that carrying the thing was too tiring - kept the carbine but even that is starting to feel weighty. Noticed that accuracy issues with the P15 seem to be connected to the magazine so will be on the lookout for a decent aftermarket jobby, besides, most of my shooting is only around the 20 yard mark so the gun should be up to the task. Anyone in PW land have any experience with this bullpuppy?

Should you not be buying the very expensive Air Arms bullpup?

When you say your rifles are getting heavy are you shooting free hand all the time? Do you not use a shooting stick?

Hope the new gun does the job, I'll be looking forward to the write up 👍 

Even carrying the AA classic to the feeding stations got my ticker pumping hard these days and I often have to stop to catch my breath - it's getting so bad that I often simply don't go which is frustrating. Found out today that the gun is actually out of stock and the new ones are not due for about a month when the price will. most likely, rise. So now I'm looking around for anything that takes my fancy - Hortitsia floats my boat but out of stock everywhere and as heavy as the S400 so the search continues.

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Even carrying the AA classic to the feeding stations got my ticker pumping hard these days and I often have to stop to catch my breath - it's getting so bad that I often simply don't go which is frustrating. Found out today that the gun is actually out of stock and the new ones are not due for about a month when the price will. most likely, rise. So now I'm looking around for anything that takes my fancy - Hortitsia floats my boat but out of stock everywhere and as heavy as the S400 so the search continues.

I'll say this knowing it's going to get a reaction, see if Stu can sort you a little BSA out😯😯 small light weight, just what you need, tin hat on 😉 

12 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

What about a falcon lighthunter fn12? I'm pretty sure they did a multi shot. Rare tho.

Gotta say I've always fancied a ultra as well... 

hello, the above was my first PCP many years ago,   mine was multi shot, still around the 6.5llb  mark, about the same as a AA classic,    the Ultra comes out at 6llb, a lighter PCP is the FX verminator at 5.3 llb, i cannot think of any lighter PCPs, 

On 05/08/2019 at 19:19, bruno22rf said:

hello Bruno, why not get a decent shoulder sling fitted to your AA carbine and buy some trip pod sticks, or even make a bipod set, i have made a few pairs for friends who like me find our rifles to heavy to shoot without them, good luck with your quest 

A bsa ultra isnt particularly light as its all steel with a 15 mm barrel .and i wouldnt  say significanlty lighter than your classic bruno .

What u need ,as you were right in looking at the p15 .is a gun with an alloy airtube .

The fx wildcat is alloy and light .

A cheaper option maybe the new walther reign  bullpup .its an all  synthetic body (not sure about the air tube though) .

They are around  £800 

Other options might be bottle guns that use a carbon fibre one on the front. (Daystate  perhaps ) 

Does the regal use an alloy air tube ? Not sure ? 

Edited by Ultrastu

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

A bsa ultra isnt particularly light as its all steel with a 15 mm barrel .and i would say significanlty lighter than your classic bruno .

What u need as you were right in looking at the p15 .is a gun with an alloy airtube .

The fx wildcat is alloy and light .

A cheaper option maybe the new walther reign  bullpup .its an all  synthetic body (not sure about the air tube though) .

They are around  £800 

hello, the light PCP FX verminator at 5.3llb would be a good choice

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, the above was my first PCP many years ago,   mine was multi shot, still around the 6.5llb  mark, about the same as a AA classic,    the Ultra comes out at 6llb, a lighter PCP is the FX verminator at 5.3 llb, i cannot think of any lighter PCPs, 

What about the Titan bearcat?

Maybe even a crossman catcher type seeing as your only shooting to 20 yards as you say?

Jesus wept Mice - can you imagine me stumbling around the woodland carrying that thing? You would have to paint my hair pink and call me Nancy before such jocularity could ensue. Besides BAR charge a fortune to post, already over priced, guns. What I've gone and done is buy a Hortitsia - nobody has any in stock as, apparently, they sell as soon as they become available (this from several dealers) so I paid up front and one single gun with a wood coloured stock is now tucked up among many black stocked versions and slowly sailing my way.Gonna be 4 weeks till I meet my new toy but there's no rush - would like to thank the guys at Pellpax for bending over backwards to get me just the one I wanted.  Stu - would never buy another Walther after buying the abortion that was the RM8 and as for Daystate or it's illegitimate offspring Ballcock - words fail me.

Edited by bruno22rf