New gun---Bullpup or a BSA Ultra?

ratchers

I already have an S410 carbine in .22 so I fancy something lighter in .177 - been looking at bullpups but the Hortitsia seems to have won my heart! I don't really plink and the gun will spend most of it's life upsetting squirrels. Taking my current health issues into consideration I may give some thought to sharing my forays with another enthusiast but the land manager is having problems with selection issues at the moment - previous applicants needed to be a member of a local club for at least 6 months and then have a written note of approval from the club owner but the club, as it was, has gone so not sure on the current state of play.

4 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I already have an S410 carbine in .22 so I fancy something lighter in .177 - been looking at bullpups but the Hortitsia seems to have won my heart! I don't really plink and the gun will spend most of it's life upsetting squirrels. Taking my current health issues into consideration I may give some thought to sharing my forays with another enthusiast but the land manager is having problems with selection issues at the moment - previous applicants needed to be a member of a local club for at least 6 months and then have a written note of approval from the club owner but the club, as it was, has gone so not sure on the current state of play.

hello, sorry to hear your not been to good of late, what model Hortitsia did you go for ?  

I've bought the shorter (330mm) barrelled version OPP - not a great deal of choice as the importers seem to be struggling to obtain these guns. Never considered a .25 Chaz25 - suppose I could always buy multi coloured pellets and shoot rainbows across the sky if no squizzers were playing ball 😃 .

13 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I've bought the shorter (330mm) barrelled version OPP - not a great deal of choice as the importers seem to be struggling to obtain these guns. Never considered a .25 Chaz25 - suppose I could always buy multi coloured pellets and shoot rainbows across the sky if no squizzers were playing ball 😃 .

hello, looks a nice PCP, hope all goes well, cheers 

20 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

If you had a .25 and used really heavy pellets you could pretty much see them leave the barrel, would be rather nice for your rainbow effect:D I have a couple of .25 now and the impact energy is rather good seems to have the slapping power of a Hindu god.

What a difference a day makes!! When I started this search for a new toy I really had my heart set on one particular gun but they never seemed to drop within the price range that I was willing to pay - been searching for a couple of weeks but none came to light. So 2 days after ordering the Hortitsia I found myself this very morning trawling through the Ads on freeads (great site btw) just burning daylight when there she is - THE gun at a price that I'm happy with - calibre I want, case and Mod - all apparently in unmarked perfect condition. Quick call to Pellpax and my money was returned in a flash (cannot fault these guys) then deal struck on my new love and I'm looking at a 5 hour round journey this Sunday. Cannot wait - never handled one of these beasts before but their reputation is almost legendary. Pics on Monday.  

No Stu - it's a pretty little Wildcat........177, cased and with a  Mod (think it's a Hugget Belita) all for a paltry £550. Little used and in mint condition this is what I have been searching for for the last couple of weeks, had lost all hope so ordered the Hortitsia but then there she was - staring at me out of the For Sale ad - must be fate (that's what I've told her indoors) - only downside is the "bit of a trip" to collect her.

Well the beast has come home. It is immaculate and I've spent all afternoon playing with her - popped a scope on and tried a few different pellets....she does NOT like AA Fields (first gun I have ever tried that does not get on with them) but was reasonably accurate with JSB heavies although, try as I did, she is not as accurate as my S410 over my 25 yards range. So after a quick read on tinternet I decided to clean the barrel - not as easy as you may think as the baffles prevent my pull through from sliding down the bore. Eureka! shoving a drinking straw down the business end before inserting said pull through helps considerably and the first 4 or 5 patches came out black as Tar. Back into the garden and, after retrieving my target from my Dog ( a retriever!!") I let 8 shots downrange and nearly had a little sex wee when I managed a ragged one hole group - tadaaaaaa. Gripes? early days but picking it up is a shock as it's so weighted towards the rear although I'm already accustomed to that - only other problem so far is that my finger seems to sit right at the bottom of the blade and rubs against the trigger guard - and I don't have particularly big hands? Not bothered to put the Hugget on as firing the gun results in little more than a click but I may fit it just cos it looks cool. So happy days at the moment but ,with my luck who knows what potential disasters await me.

Would you look what's happened, I cant get on line for a few days while sunning myself by the pool and Bruno is spending money😅😅

Sounds like your going to enjoy your new toy, have you ordered any of the vicious looking pellets yet? Ones with the cross?

Actually found a few samples of .177 knocking around including half a tin of Hunter extremes - when I sold my classic I gave away loads of different tins to a local club so I was relieved to find a few oddments laid around. Going to take it up the Range on Weds and try various pellets to see which give the best accuracy and ft/lb. Still in the "gazing at her with cow eyes" stage at the moment - they certainly look and feel special. When the other half takes her eyes off the bank balance I'm going to buy a LH cheek piece - should make shooting her a little more comfortable.

Rather than spend a fortune on finding which pellet the beast likes best ,Ken (of North Bucks Range) spent some time with my new love and rang yesterday to reveal that H&N Field Target Trophy work best - I was dubious but guess what? This man knows his stuff - she pops them downrange like a Laser Beam, if you hold the crosshairs on the bull and ease the trigger back a full stop appears where the crosshairs meet time and time again - sublime.

wildcat.jpg

Edited by bruno22rf