Rag and Bone Men

Thunderbird

I didn't realise until clearing out a load of stuff recently how common it still is that people drive around in vans scooping up the stuff you leave out. 

Bit of a far cry nowadays from Steptoe and Son, but still. I got chatting to one of them, interesting, intelligent bloke, does a couple of hours every evening and either scraps stuff or repairs it and sells on. 

44 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Wack the washing machine on Gumtree and have someone pay you to collect it instead. 

Facebook market place is the big seller site now. 

Its incredibly easy to use and free. Just do it on your phone, can make an add in about 30 seconds. I’ve been able to sell loads of stuff on there really easily! 

2 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I didn't realise until clearing out a load of stuff recently how common it still is that people drive around in vans scooping up the stuff you leave out. 

Bit of a far cry nowadays from Steptoe and Son, but still. I got chatting to one of them, interesting, intelligent bloke, does a couple of hours every evening and either scraps stuff or repairs it and sells on. 

Unless they are licensed they are breaking the law.
They need to give you a receipt for any scrap taken.
You cant leave it outside your property (the council bin trucks have a special dispensation)
You have to be quite careful when it comes to waste transfer, trust me, I fell foul of it, and it cost me £600.
The environment agency ,whilst not so rabid now ,used to follow the scrap men around, wait till they had collected, then prosecute the business or householder who had given scrap, they rarely prosecuted the scrap man.
Scrap metal is classed as hazardous waste.
Another delightful law from Brussels .

1 hour ago, Dan73 said:

We are having our kitchen done and I have literally put the old (but still decent) washing machine out the front......lets see how long it takes (this could be a new sport!)

Top tip, slap a “FOR SALE” sign on it & it will be gone over night then save yourself £20 for the council to take it away.

Can't believe I'm reading some of this.

Everyone on here has been complaining in the past that they have "travellers" in there area and the inherent problems that go with them, and then here you are giving them the means to survive by being to rrrrsed to remove your own rubbish/recycling to the council depot.

If you get them you deserve them.

4 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Everyone on here has been complaining in the past that they have "travellers" in there area and the inherent problems that go with them, and then here you are giving them the means to survive by being to rrrrsed to remove your own rubbish/recycling to the council depot.

Totally agree with you on this point

16 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Completely agree. This also goes for buying any cheap tools or having gardening done.

1 minute ago, Steveveets said:

This was what the real Rag and Bone men looked like! Apparently a street scene in Poplar, east London in 1975.

(Image "borrowed" from a guy called Stuart Humphryes who puts some brilliant colourised videos on YouTube and Twitter of "The old days" - worth checking them out)

Screenshot_20180907-094529_Twitter.jpg

I just about remember this from my very early days in Hackney. We moved out in '75'.

17 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

+1 Tools ,go to Lidl

Gardening, getting travs to do it ,you need your head testing !
DIY or local trusted contractor.

+1, Give them nowt, sell them nowt,whenever they leave a spot, they leave loads of tree prunings, garden rubbish Etc.So some people think it;s O/K to use their  "services"

Edited by guzzicat