Magpies

Hamster

Managed 11 dead with a couple more solid hits which I couldn't pick or spot after a 2 hour hunt this evening, one short of my previous session record of 14 although I have had 24 total in one day. All shot off hand from between 25 - 30 yards with just one long range around 50 yards. The fading light seems to make them less wary or maybe they just don't see quite as well into the undergrowth ?! The place is a country house surrounded by its own (presently dry) moat. 

magpie.JPG

magpie1.JPG

magpie2.JPG

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

I got a msg this morning off Suburban shooter, he's on 45 magpies so far this year.

Great two hours work that Hamster, so what pellet were you using?

I've always been a fan of lighter pellets even for FAC so usually use the JSB Exact 15.89 but I shot these with my first tin of the 18.13 version and they certainly make a louder impact whatever they hit. The reason I've decided to make a conscious switch over and re-learn the trajectories is that lately I've been shooting at some very long range crows with the Wildcat and found that  windage really affects things with light air rifle pellets, at the same distances the rimfire seems to barely register any wind. 

Interesting thing happened yesterday, on three occasions the birds gave me a second chance of a shot despite the seemingly obvious and loud 900 fps pellet actually hitting twigs and branches they were sitting on, (very few could be properly seen through the foliage because of the time of year), two paid the price. Normally a pellet sailing over their heads would send them packing never mind a blast from underneath. 

24 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Interesting thing happened yesterday, on three occasions the birds gave me a second chance of a shot despite the seemingly obvious and loud 900 fps pellet actually hitting twigs and branches they were sitting on, (very few could be properly seen through the foliage because of the time of year), two paid the price. Normally a pellet sailing over their heads would send them packing never mind a blast from underneath. 

Young uneducated birds maybe? Good work, i hate the things shoot as many as i can when out.

Managed to shoot 5 more between 6 - 7.45 tonight, I stayed as late as possible but the mad hour of the other day didn't materialise. Found a better spot and rigged up a branch to use as a rest which really paid off with no misses, the owners cat who judging by the absence of the previously slain knew what was going on sat and watched me for ages before I managed to shoot the last one and made a mad dash to fetch it but thought better of it when it landed in a watery part of the moat 😂  . 

The middle pic is the view of the hot trees as seen from the seated position. 

Magpie4.JPG

Magpie5.JPG

Magpie6.JPG

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'm waiting for your gun to slide, makes my bum twitch 😣 

😂 😁 

I'm actually quite careful with things like that, you can't see it from the picture but the gun was past centre line in the "correct" direction, the one with magpies was literally for seconds with me very close by. 

Edited by Hamster

I was always told snooker cues get layed flat, same with fishing rods, if no Muppets about to stand on them, i do lean my rifle but only if its in a V and nicely stuck, otherwise down she goes.

3 minutes ago, Hamster said:

😂 😁 

I'm actually quite careful with things like that, you can't see it from the picture but the gun was past centre line in the "correct" direction.