wymberley

OK, What Was It?

Fly fishing on Wednesday and sitting somewhat high up on a bank when moving left to right on the water surface below me a couple of yards out was what I can only describe as a miniature quadrocopter looking 'bug' about1&1/2 to 2" across. I had absolutely no idea what it was but then realised its movements however jerky were in a straight line. Had I been a trout (I had 2 rainbow, one at 4&1/2 and one at 4&1/4 lbs) I'd have grabbed it which would have been a mistake as it was attached to a tippet and being retrieved very skillfully I thought. Does anyone have any idea what this fly could have been as I can't find any reference to it - difficult when you haven't a clue about how to describe it?

10 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Wake lure of some sort?

Haven't a clue what they are either so had a look and I think not. Many thanks though. It really did look as described with four big feet to prevent it breaking through the water surface

As an avid flyfisherman you will know that flytiers are the most experimental of people. I have no doubt some such person had tied up a copy of a damsel or even a dragon fly OR even using the real thing, dapping.  After over 60yrs of fly dressing I can tell you I have tied some weird and wonderful items but not all with succesful outcomes.    I still have a couple of frogs somewhere I tied  for pike fishing with a fly rod but with little success.

Edited by Walker570

I wish now I'd asked the guy, but will the next time I see him. I think that you could well be right Walker and someone has knocked something up based on a pond skater but has had to use some "big feet" - the circular bl;ade guards on the quadrocopter - to keep it from falling over/sinking.

an old friend (sadly passed away now) , designed his own fly , he proudly named it the muff diver . i have no idea if he ever caught a fish with it , but  years later it still makes me chuckle when i think about it.