Badger damage

Walker570

Saw a piece tucked in a corner of the Daily Telegraph this morning how scientists have finally discovered that badgers are destroying all the hedgehogs. They could not help putting a bit partly blaming farmers for using chemicals.  I thought, well we were using some pretty nasty chemicals on the farm back in the late 50s and sixties ..really nasty BUT we still had loads of hedgehogs about.

THEN, I visited a friend this morning and my mouth dropped open at the sight of their back lawn. See photo. This was ripped up over about three nights, about 200 square yards total wrecked and will require rotovating and re seeding.

It really is about time our legislators got back on the subject and put them back on the vermin list. Not difficult to have a specific law with suitably severe penalties to cover baiting, which was the main reason the original law was drafted.  This is a legislator that wants every deer which sticks it's head out shot because they nibble a few trees.

20180907_095224 (800x600).jpg

It came to me via the GWCT daily news update....shock horror eh! Country people have been telling the authorities this for years! just shows the disproportionate influence a few ignorant, misguided people egged on by antis have!

Is it too early to tell the protectionist, bunny hugger idiots....we told you so!

Just a question, it is not in my area of knowledge, but could that lawn damage be caused by pigs?

Just writing that when you posted, you beat me to it, Tonker

Edited by panoma1

30 minutes ago, tonker said:

Is that Badger for sure? looks more like Boar to me.

I was thinking the same, Badgers tend to dig a small patch then move a few yards and dig another but that looks like continuous digging/ploughing of the ground, but with regards the damage Badgers do to other wildlife then yes they need to listen to people who see the damage on a regular bases.

walker570 does your friend have boar in his area?

Think its time for a trail camera to find the culprit.

Edited by old'un

While it does look like pigs, broc cn do the exact same too esp if looking for something ie below the crown of a large hardwood tree looking for seeds/fruit.

On 1 paticularly wet farm ive seen badgers just get there snouts under the turf and just turn it over and keep going, u'd of thought the farmer had ploughed the end riggs along the woodsides as just 20-30m of overturned turf.

I think that badger charity had scientific results a good few years ago but were scared to really publise it incase they got grief of the badger huggers.A very sad state of affairs.

There reaklly does need to be a proper sit down and look at the effect predators have in UK and how protecting species works, should it be lifted if/when numbers recover even vary it locally (which is exactly wot ur special licences are meant to do anyway)

5 hours ago, tonker said:

Is that Badger for sure? looks more like Boar to me.

Seen doing it.  Yes, if I was in Slovenia I would have said wild boar.

No boar anywhere near the area for many miles and it is in a village on the edge of a town.  No doubt recent rain brought lots of worms and stuff to the surface and the lawn was well looked after and closely cut.

Edited by Walker570

Id say Boar too,. Some of these folk writing these story's wouldn't  know a boar if it bit them on their bottom. 

That area and amount of earth moved would take a badger and all it descendants from the past 20 years to make that mess. And they be dead after

It's too deep and too much area for badger. 

Edited by Dougy

33 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Bear in mind this happened over three nights and the first damage was partially repaired then ripped up again.

Even more so then. 

Boar 99% there will be slots all around too. 

Oh and the smell

Edited by Dougy

Well done on shooting a silver, and the other 39, myself I've never bothered counting the ones I shot Or checking if they were medals or not. 

If you have seen the badgers doing the damage then I'm wrong, which I really don't mind being wrong at all its not going to affect my sleep pattern. 

Certainly won't be the 1st time and not the last. 

The good Lady keeps Pygmy hedgehogs, as well as feeding the wildies so, when she read this, she came round to my way of thinking - that uncontrolled numbers can only be detrimental, and each landowner should be allowed to take individual action against badgers, should they feel it necessary. Once I got over the shock of her agreeing with me, I was quite pleased !

Who said the press have no influence ?

Edited by Blackbriar