KENT AND CHICHESTER WILDFOWLERS BUY NEW LAND

Ajarrett

KENT WILDFOWLING AND CONSERVATION ASSOCIATION/CHICHESTER WILDFOWLERS ASSOCIATION 

PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE

KENT WILDFOWLERS AND CHICHESTER WILDFOWLERS COMBINE TO BUY MORE MARSHLAND

The Kent Wildfowling and Conservation Association and the Chichester Wildfowlers Association first joined together to purchase marshland in East Sussex in 2005, further adding to that portfolio in 2008.

Now these two far-sighted clubs have come together again to extend their joint land ownership in East Sussex.

KWCA Chairman Alan Jarrett said “I am delighted that once again we have come together with Chichester WA to cement our long-standing beneficial partnership with Chichester WA by purchasing additional land in East Sussex.

Chichester are an excellent club to work with, and with this purchase we further strengthen our land holdings to secure wildfowling into the future.

CWA Chairman Lee Freeston said I am delighted that both clubs have again jointly purchased land for shooting and conservation to further strengthen the bonds between the two clubs. This also protects shooting in perpetuity for all wildfowlers.

ENDS

EDITOR’S NOTE: the KWCA and CWA jointly have a land portfolio of over 23,000 acres across Kent, West Sussex, Hampshire East Sussex, Essex, Cambridgeshire and Norfolk. Conservation work is being carried out over many of these areas by the Wild Spaces Fund.

The two clubs have a joint membership of over 900 members, and offer wildfowling, rough shooting, pigeon shooting and airgun hunting.

Blackwall.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really positive stuff for fowling in the UK well done to all concerned.

Especially nice to see the growth of Kent wildfowlers and clearly shows that clever use of funds including the early use of the BASC  wildlife habitat loan in 2008 has been well used and built upon .......from little seeds etc .

11 minutes ago, holloway said:

Really positive stuff for fowling in the UK well done to all concerned.

Especially nice to see the growth of Kent wildfowlers and clearly shows that clever use of funds including the early use of the BASC  wildlife habitat loan in 2008 has been well used and built upon .......from little seeds etc .

Really interesting point about the WHT. I was a Trustee at the time and WHT was struggling to get loans out. Kent agreed to take a £15,000 loan against a total purchase price of £71,500, which was then repaid early.

Since then Kent has spent £1,026,200.00 (yes, over £1 million!) on land purchase all without external help.

46 minutes ago, Ajarrett said:

Really interesting point about the WHT. I was a Trustee at the time and WHT was struggling to get loans out. Kent agreed to take a £15,000 loan against a total purchase price of £71,500, which was then repaid early.

Since then Kent has spent £1,026,200.00 (yes, over £1 million!) on land purchase all without external help.

Yes interesting that it all started from such a small amount of money loaned by the Wildlife habitat trust what a clever investment that was by Kent wildfowlers ! ! credit were its due you have built on it well and credit Basc for having the vision to set up these loans through the WHT in the first place .

2 hours ago, holloway said:

Yes interesting that it all started from such a small amount of money loaned by the Wildlife habitat trust what a clever investment that was by Kent wildfowlers ! ! credit were its due you have built on it well and credit Basc for having the vision to set up these loans through the WHT in the first place .

Hmm! Good on you for trying to claim the credit for BASC. However BEFORE that £15,000 loan from WHT KWCA spent £991,200 buying land. So well done BASC for making a contribution of £15,000 towards an overall expenditure of £2,017,400.00 (plus legal costs of course)

Now couldn't that £6,000,000+ BASC is sitting on in the bank be put to better use?

50 minutes ago, Ajarrett said:

Hmm! Good on you for trying to claim the credit for BASC. However BEFORE that £15,000 loan from WHT KWCA spent £991,200 buying land. So well done BASC for making a contribution of £15,000 towards an overall expenditure of £2,017,400.00 (plus legal costs of course)

Now couldn't that £6,000,000+ BASC is sitting on in the bank be put to better use?

Whoa there Alan ! my post is not meant to claim credit for anyone except like i said your excellent use of your assets ,wildfowling is the winner here wouldnt you agree .The very fact that you had needed to borrow. £15,000 from the  Basc founded Wht should not now be anything to brush under the carpet or belittle ,the fact is when you needed to borrow, it was there for you and you gratefully took it .Ok years later you can try to reduce its importance but surely only fools would borrow money they didnt need.

5 minutes ago, holloway said:

Whoa there Alan ! my post is not meant to claim credit for anyone except like i said your excellent use of your assets ,wildfowling is the winner here wouldnt you agree .The very fact that you had needed to borrow. £15,000 from the  Basc founded Wht should not now be anything to brush under the carpet or belittle ,the fact is when you needed to borrow, it was there for you and you gratefully took it .Ok years later you can try to reduce its importance but surely only fools would borrow money they didnt need.

The main thing is our sport is better off as result. More news soon!

9 hours ago, Charlie Anderson said:

I think this shows what can be done with the right resources and initiative. I am no longer a member of basc and when I get my self sorted with a dog I’m definitely going to join a English club. 

In the meantime the KWCA offers an Associate package which includes insurance. Visit kentwildfowlers.co.uk   All welcome!

On 7 September 2018 at 21:45, Ajarrett said:

Not wishing to knock BASC as I am a member, but it does indicate that they have lost their way slightly from their WAGBI roots. Stanley Duncan would be turning in his grave sitting on that amount and not carrying out similar land purchases to KWCA in furtherance of wildfowling. 

OB

Couldn't agree more OB. Problem is they also don't appear to be dealing with what must be considered national issues such as the mess over the medical report relating to certificates. Some forces are now actively saying no report no certificate. This is completely outside of Home Office guidelines. This needs urgent action from the national organisations who jointly may be able to get somewhere or even consider spending some of the money on a judicial review if necessary.

Also the high possibility of the Pochard coming off the quarry list.

Now it may be that they are dealing with these issues behind closed doors, but surely some statement would at least let members know what's happening.

i am not a current member of the CA, but my club is affiliated, but I get constant email updates from them about what they are up to and they appear very proactive.

38 minutes ago, DNT said:

Couldn't agree more OB. Problem is they also don't appear to be dealing with what must be considered national issues such as the mess over the medical report relating to certificates. Some forces are now actively saying no report no certificate. This is completely outside of Home Office guidelines. This needs urgent action from the national organisations who jointly may be able to get somewhere or even consider spending some of the money on a judicial review if necessary.

Also the high possibility of the Pochard coming off the quarry list.

Now it may be that they are dealing with these issues behind closed doors, but surely some statement would at least let members know what's happening.

i am not a current member of the CA, but my club is affiliated, but I get constant email updates from them about what they are up to and they appear very proactive.

This is my major beef with BASC, they are not an open organisation, they do not inform or consult with their membership nearly enough! If the membership don't see/hear what they are doing, they assume they are doing nothing! Or worse, are doing things that benefit/suit them......rather than the membership! 

They do not respond to criticism and don't attempt to explain when questions are asked of them!

They hold their meetings under the "Chatham house rule" which is to keep the participants affiliations, comments, votes etc unatributable to an individual!

I would rather know my representative organisation had put up a fight...than be left to speculate!

So, a thread started by a former chairman of BASC who left under a cloud, having failed to tackle the Stephen Curtis issue and  then actually supported that odious individual in an employment tribunal (which duly found against Curtis), ends up bashing BASC... what a surprise.

Edited by stagboy

11 hours ago, stagboy said:

So, a thread started by a former chairman of BASC who left under a cloud, having failed to tackle the Stephen Curtis issue and  then actually supported that odious individual in an employment tribunal (which duly found against Curtis), ends up bashing BASC... what a surprise.

I didn't leave under a cloud, rather in order to disassociate myself from what I still believe was wrong. 

Some of us have the balls to stand up for what we believe in! Of course BASC are wonderfully above criticism.

You knew what Curtis was. You had  been told. And he had form, as the police say: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-serbia-kosovo-police/u-n-police-chief-in-kosovo-quits-on-request-idUSL1445016320070214. Yet you actually tried to defend him in court, where he was trounced after the judge considered what he called "incontrovertible evidence" that Curtis had made what amounted to threats to kill a member of staff (as well as assorted threats to other employees,  the court heard) . 

Edited by stagboy
elucidation, accuracy

10 hours ago, stagboy said:

You knew what Curtis was. You had  been told. And he had form, as the police say: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-serbia-kosovo-police/u-n-police-chief-in-kosovo-quits-on-request-idUSL1445016320070214. Yet you actually tried to defend him in court, where he was trounced after the judge considered what he called "incontrovertible evidence" that Curtis had made what amounted to threats to kill a member of staff (as well as assorted threats to other employees,  the court heard) . 

You sound like my first wife! 

Unless you were in a position to know what went on - and hiding behind a pseudonym who knows! - then you don't know. That's what I said about having balls!

Interesting that when Curtis was taken to court for award of costs he apparently came out on top - so perhaps it wasn't as clear-cut after all. If he had been that bad he would have had costs awarded against him. That cost BASC members a pretty penny then!

Anyhow, when you've finished sniping back to the KWCA/CWA purchase. Didn't we do well!

Edited by Ajarrett

12 hours ago, Ajarrett said:

I read the 40-plus page judgement of Stephen Curtis V British Association of Shooting and Conservation online, and its conclusions are absolutely clear. I gather it is rare for employment tribunals to award costs - they don't want to discourage individuals from taking companies to court. Perhaps BASCs insurers wanted a shot at recouping their legal expenses, given the strength of the judgment. Who knows. But, arguably, if you had investigated the many allegations about Curtis when you were chairman, the matter might never have reached court in the first place.  

In last year's accounts, BASC said it was determined to recover costs that weren't covered by insurance. So here's a question: are you facing the prospect of a claim?

23 minutes ago, stagboy said:

I read the 40-plus page judgement of Stephen Curtis V British Association of Shooting and Conservation online, and its conclusions are absolutely clear. I gather it is rare for employment tribunals to award costs - they don't want to discourage individuals from taking companies to court. Perhaps BASCs insurers wanted a shot at recouping their legal expenses, given the strength of the judgment. Who knows. But, arguably, if you had investigated the many allegations about Curtis when you were chairman, the matter might never have reached court in the first place.  

In last year's accounts, BASC said it was determined to recover costs that weren't covered by insurance. So here's a question: are you facing the prospect of a claim?

You know so much about what went on and who did what from reading a report you tell me!