very quiet in here regarding the proposed changes to the offensive weapons bill

quentyn

9 hours ago, MartynGT4 said:

Some positive news, it seems these amendments and others were all chucked out at the committee stage yesterday.

Sadly it still looks like the muzzle energy restriction and MARS \ Lever Release actions going to section 5 are still going through 😞

Do you have a link for this? I've just been reading through the proceedings, but it's very difficult to follow on a phone screen!

Here's the bill after it was by the committee stage and is the version going forward to the report and 3rd reading stages before it goes to the lords. It doesn't show what amendments have been removed, but does show you what's left which are the ludicrous muzzle energy, MARS & lever release & bump stock restrictions + non-firearms related restrictions.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2017-2019/0265/cbill_2017-20190265_en_1.htm

It's not good, but it could have been far worse and that's about the only positive thing I can say about it.

Edited by MartynGT4

Why does it feel that our sport is on a knife edge at the moment??

What with the clear intention for licensing authorities to seek anyway they can to deny renewal or applications based on weak risk assessments, the constant confusion around doctors letter and gradual erosion of shooters rights,  I wonder if many of our numbers will simply give the sport up due to the hassle it involves. I have been thinking of buying a high grade shotgun to pass down to my eldest son, but as it stands now who know what the law will look like in ten years time.

Its death by a thousand cuts....

41 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Why does it feel that our sport is on a knife edge at the moment??

What with the clear intention for licensing authorities to seek anyway they can to deny renewal or applications based on weak risk assessments, the constant confusion around doctors letter and gradual erosion of shooters rights,  I wonder if many of our numbers will simply give the sport up due to the hassle it involves. I have been thinking of buying a high grade shotgun to pass down to my eldest son, but as it stands now who know what the law will look like in ten years time.

Its death by a thousand cuts....

Think you are spot on, I’ve been shooting for over 55 years and the last 10 or so years there seems more and more pressure on shooting and the individual, those that want shooting/gun ownership stopped/banned realise it is easier to slowly chip away at our armour rather than meet us head on, and as you say, place enough obstacles in the way and a lot of people will just give-up.

I give shooting as we know it 20 years max.

I also feel the same regarding the steady chip away at shooting in general. On the other hand over the last few years there seems to be increased interest in shooting. The clubs I am members of, seem to have quite a few people on waiting lists to become members. Practical shooting also seems to be in ascendance, at least from my small circle.

I think that all the consultations and media attention has actually opened they eyes of many to the world of shooting. I think the general public assumes you can't have firearms in the UK and don't actively look into shooting. With the media coverage of potentially banning 50 cal etc I think some people have had their eyes opened to the huge variety of shooting disciplines out there. Hopefully this trend is not just in my small area. The general public are so indoctrinated by the media. The mere mention that you are a shotgun/firearm owner sends them reeling  in fear. Anything that can be done to change this, anything at all should be pursued.

Will it be enough to keep participation in shooting general high enough to defend it? Shooting in general needs new blood and lots of it i think. The shooting clubs are generally populated (from my experience) by 'older' men. How this can be achieved who knows?

4 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

I also feel the same regarding the steady chip away at shooting in general. On the other hand over the last few years there seems to be increased interest in shooting. The clubs I am members of, seem to have quite a few people on waiting lists to become members. Practical shooting also seems to be in ascendance, at least from my small circle.

I think that all the consultations and media attention has actually opened they eyes of many to the world of shooting. I think the general public assumes you can't have firearms in the UK and don't actively look into shooting. With the media coverage of potentially banning 50 cal etc I think some people have had their eyes opened to the huge variety of shooting disciplines out there. Hopefully this trend is not just in my small area. The general public are so indoctrinated by the media. The mere mention that you are a shotgun/firearm owner sends them reeling  in fear. Anything that can be done to change this, anything at all should be pursued.

Will it be enough to keep participation in shooting general high enough to defend it? Shooting in general needs new blood and lots of it i think. The shooting clubs are generally populated (from my experience) by 'older' men. How this can be achieved who knows?

According to either CA or BASC (I forget who emailed it) FAC and shotgun numbers are at an all time high, I know our club has closed even the waiting list due to high interest so we are in good health as a group. Trouble is we have to speak together and there is far too much of ‘not my discipline so don’t care’ in many corners.