What do you say?

CaptC

Driving back from feeding the pheasants with my six year old daughter whose enthusiasm is unlimited in all tasks connected with game keeping she suddenly asked "Daddy, why do you like killing the pheasants?" There was a long protracted silence in which I struggled to find an answer - I replied that I did not like killing them but they were part of a day's "sport" and the day out with friends was more important than than taking a life and that at the end of the day all the pheasants were given away to eat. Then came the the downer "But daddy, you do not like to eat pheasant" - quite true so what does one say?

7 hours ago, Longbower said:

I would explain that, the pheasants would never be born , if it were not for the sport (shooting)and that they go to the 'table' for those who like to eat them.

The above argument is the simple answer to all vegetarians, and applies to all meat.  What i have always said and believe {no im not dressing it up] is that its better to take responsibility for the meat you eat than rely on others to supply it. also compare a pheasants life to battery hens. pheasant meat should be in high demand. I had better leave this before i get slated as usual    captc, why dont you eat pheasant there are dozens of ways to cook it

10 hours ago, CaptC said:

Driving back from feeding the pheasants with my six year old daughter whose enthusiasm is unlimited in all tasks connected with game keeping she suddenly asked "Daddy, why do you like killing the pheasants?" There was a long protracted silence in which I struggled to find an answer - I replied that I did not like killing them but they were part of a day's "sport" and the day out with friends was more important than than taking a life and that at the end of the day all the pheasants were given away to eat. Then came the the downer "But daddy, you do not like to eat pheasant" - quite true so what does one say?

Ask your mother 😂😂

45 minutes ago, hambone said:

Ask your mother 😂😂

I actually thought of that one but mother is not keen on shooting (we used to ride to hounds so ripping a fox into pieces is OK) The Memsahib will sometimes accompany me to a shoot but will not dispatch anything the dog brings back. 

Humans are designed to eat meat as it's the best way and least contrived way of getting what you need to sustain a balanced diet.  Therefore It's just like any farming. Plus it's more rewarding than going to the Supermarket.  Also hhere's lots of enviromental positives from land management and sustainability of  wildlifd populations. And just fof David  A. there's less plastic wrapping which saves oceans. 

1 hour ago, Paul1440 said:

Humans are designed to eat meat as it's the best way and least contrived way of getting what you need to sustain a balanced diet.  Therefore It's just like any farming. Plus it's more rewarding than going to the Supermarket.  Also hhere's lots of enviromental positives from land management and sustainability of  wildlifd populations. And just fof David  A. there's less plastic wrapping which saves oceans. 

This ^ and Pheasants, partridge etc have a wild, healthy, free range existence with a natural diet, usually a quick death and if it survives the season it can breed naturally........compare this to a chicken, or any other Intensively or otherwise, farmed meat for that matter....the shoot provides employment directly and indirectly, and for the shooter there are mental and physical health benefits, enjoyment of natural environment, the skill/satisfaction in hitting a moving target with a meal as a result! The benefits are huge!

Edited by panoma1