Midland game fair

aka_t50

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been for five years now, its rubbish IMO unless you want over priced clothing, fudge, hot tubs, antiques or a kids fair. I love 15minutes from it and have been going for approximately 25years, but not anymore. 

But this is just my opinion. I only go to the shooting show in February now.

ATB

Matt

34 minutes ago, salop sniper said:

I haven't been for five years now, its rubbish IMO unless you want over priced clothing, fudge, hot tubs, antiques or a kids fair. I love 15minutes from it and have been going for approximately 25years, but not anymore. 

But this is just my opinion. I only go to the shooting show in February now.

ATB

Matt

Wouldn't argue with any of this, except whatever the date, for the above reasons, I don't bother with any game fairs now.....and I live a few minutes further away! Lol!

Agree non of these fair are what they used to be . But as cost to the exhibitor have risen they have to take a lot of money to make it worth going .So many have decided its not worth the effort . Personally after an hour or so on gunmakers row , seeing the same thing over and over again . I was more interested in the peripheral stalls selling all manor of other goods and these seem to be in greater decline .

The days of people going and buying large amounts of stuff and picking up bargains have gone as have the days of going onto the Shooting Times stand and talking to its contributors , now all they want is to sell you subscriptions . 

it is such a shame all of these once great shows seem to be in decline. been going to game fairs of all sorts for years. but i think traders fees and the internet have killed the shows. saying that the game fair we went to in july was a good day out. went to the midland a few years back and i think that will be the last unless i hear a great change in it

On 8 September 2018 at 19:01, Gunman said:

The days of people going and buying large amounts of stuff and picking up bargains have gone as have the days of going onto the Shooting Times stand and talking to its contributors , now all they want is to sell you subscriptions . 

Couldn't agree more Gunman. Went to Regley Hall and the Shooting Times, Sporting Gun and Shooting Gazette stands were all rolled into one very small space with just enough room for one girl from each magazine to sell subscriptions. It is probably just me and an age thing, but one of the editors that did show up, seemed not long out of short trousers and I think someone had asked if he was on work experience from school !!

OB

Been a fair number of years now..20 or more since I bothered going to any of these 'country fairs' as they have all gone the same way the Royal Agricultural show went, little or nothing representing the subject but loads of tat.  Great pity because I went to the first Game Fair there back in ..errrrr???? ...round about 1960 ish.... I know I had to wait for my mother to finish the milk round before I could borrow the van ....  Had an Intrepid reel which the bail arm had broken and they had a stand there.  Great service, a new one arrived four days later in the post.

I did the Shooting Show this year at the NEC but did not enjoy it as much as Stoneleigh the year before. 

I think I'll drive the other direction to Lincolnshire and kill some squirrels instead ... maybe a muntie or two.:good:

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:15, Walker570 said:

..... they have all gone the same way the Royal Agricultural show went, little or nothing representing the subject but loads of tat.

It’s much the same story with a lot of agricultural shows -  expensive to park, expensive to enter, expensive to buy anything once you are in.   But one notable exception is LAMMA (agricultural machinery show), where entry and parking are both free.   How do they do it?

They have large numbers of exhibitors, and the show is very well attended.   A high proportion of the folk manning the trade stands wear boiler suits, rather than city-slicker outfits.    The event seems to get by without having lots of stewards and assistant directors walking around wearing white coats and bowler hats.  Maybe there is something to be learned from LAMMA’s example.

1 minute ago, McSpredder said:

It’s much the same story with a lot of agricultural shows -  expensive to park, expensive to enter, expensive to buy anything once you are in.   But one notable exception is LAMMA (agricultural machinery show), where entry and parking are both free.   How do they do it?

They have large numbers of exhibitors, and the show is very well attended.   A high proportion of the folk manning the trade stands wear boiler suits, rather than city-slicker outfits.    The event seems to get by without having lots of stewards and assistant directors walking around wearing white coats and bowler hats.  Maybe there is something to be learned from LAMMA’s example.

One big difference is that the LAMMA show is there to sell equipment to farmers, not con the public and give them a "taste of the countryside!"

Just got back, as mentioned I've never seen so many travellers there as this year. 

Overall the game fair is very poor, alot more stalls have gone, lots of gaps in the field and complete aisles missing, very few freebies, gunmakers row is a joke, only saved by Cheshire gun room and ladds. 

I said last year I wouldn't go again, but this year definitely made the decision not to bother again. 

arrived 8 o'clock , picked up my order from clay and game , a quick walk round plus my FREE countryman 's weekly , out the gate by 11.30 , back home by 12.30 , another quick shop with the missus , back for the final score 4.15 then get my gear ready for 100 bird reg sporting in the morning , now that's what I call full day . sorry to bore you lad's,