Midland game fair

aka_t50

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest topshot_2k

Went today after a 2 year gap, as above full of p1keys. Shooting line was good and plenty of airgun manufacturers/ranges but gun makers row is tiny now and only saved by Ladds, Simpsons and cheshire gun room. Generally a lot less clothing and other countryside traders there but all the main organisations are there and I picked up some reduced shooting kit from Napier and the wildfowling stands.

If it wasn't for the travellers I would go back next year as there was plenty to fill the day but having groups of them getting drunk and causing a nuisance put me off. Food prices were expensive as well.

Edited by topshot_2k

Guest topshot_2k
Just now, postie said:

Up tommorow, was there any arena shows or dog skurrys or $hooting or fulconry,fishing ect

Yes all of them, fishing isn't a massive section but there was a few traders and demo/tuition. The shooting line is decent, have a go stands, sporting comps etc

Guest topshot_2k

£25/60 sporting. They had the rabbit comp too, think that was £14 per pair, not sure how much the have a go stands/tuition was

4 minutes ago, postie said:

Thank you topshot I was reading the posts I thought I was going to a bad shopping show.thank god it is a game fair and there is countryside things to see 

Yes if you go for gun makers row alone you'll be disappointed but there is enough to see to make a day of it.

I have only been once , this was several years ago , we traveled up there on the Friday night ( 5 hrs ) rather than go early the Saturday morning  , we slept in the camping area and the atmosphere was brilliant with the camp fires and a bit of music going on , the fair itself was huge and it was a job trying to see everything in a day , at the time we went , I dare say it was one of the best fairs I had been to , now we just go to the local ones , last week was the Sandringham game fair and me and my wife ( plus the dog ) thought it was an enjoyable day out and well worth going.  

20 hours ago, marsh man said:

I have only been once , this was several years ago , we traveled up there on the Friday night ( 5 hrs ) rather than go early the Saturday morning  , we slept in the camping area and the atmosphere was brilliant with the camp fires and a bit of music going on , the fair itself was huge and it was a job trying to see everything in a day , at the time we went , I dare say it was one of the best fairs I had been to , now we just go to the local ones , last week was the Sandringham game fair and me and my wife ( plus the dog ) thought it was an enjoyable day out and well worth going.  

In my opinion at one time it was the best gamefair on the circuit, I stopped going because of inappropriate "attractions" diminishing content, entry cost and prices.......I haven't been for about six years now! 

Just got back after spending the weekend with the wife and my three boys. 

Show is a lot smaller than it used to be but there are still some quality stands selling quality goods. 

Spent a good while in the BASC stand chatting with the Wildfowling boys - purchased a conducker call off Robin. 

Highlight of the weekend was watching my three boys having instruction and shooting clays. 

My 9yr old lad who had never shot a shotgun managed to hit 1 clay out of 10 yesterday, and 4 out of ten today!

The smiles on their faces made the 4 days camping worth while!!

Guest topshot_2k
48 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Show is a lot smaller than it used to be but there are still some quality stands selling quality goods. 

Spent a good while in the BASC stand chatting with the Wildfowling boys - purchased a conducker call off Robin. 

Highlight of the weekend was watching my three boys having instruction and shooting clays. 

My 9yr old lad who had never shot a shotgun managed to hit 1 clay out of 10 yesterday, and 4 out of ten today!

Those conducktor calls are works of art! Wish I bought one but forgot to go back to the basc stand

2 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

That's what it's all about mate, quality family time.🙂

Didn't  bother this year, it's either my age or I have seen it getting worse year after year.

It was once a show for people involved in country sports, gamekeeper, shooters, fishermen and working dog owners. But now it's a place for folk to go and pretend to be interested in the countryside, dress up in fancy dress and ponce about. 

Very profitable for the organisers who I doubt really give a monkey's for the longevity of the show, or country sports in general. 

A shadow of what it used to be. 

Edited by Dougy

3 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

the fishing section was tiny. 

boo !

20 years ago, at the same event, I was able to place an order for a new hand built boat fly rod, made in Scotland. On my last visit to the show some 4 years ago, I struggled to buy some fly tying hooks and the best fishing tackle stand was the "Help for Heroes" charity stand  ?  I  buy on line and avoid paying £20,  just for the pleasure of 'shopping'  !

On 15/09/2018 at 16:56, andypaint said:

Just got back, as mentioned I've never seen so many travellers there as this year. 

Overall the game fair is very poor, alot more stalls have gone, lots of gaps in the field and complete aisles missing, very few freebies, gunmakers row is a joke, only saved by Cheshire gun room and ladds. 

I said last year I wouldn't go again, but this year definitely made the decision not to bother again. 

Yes I agree.  Not enough dealers displaying air weapons and idiots taking dogs into the narrow aisles already packed with people some with bloody great haversacks on their backs. .... God almighty why are these people given the right to vote.

21 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Heard from my Daughter that one of the A1 Decoy staff had their pup "go missing" at the show, hope they found it

Had an email 'pop up' thingy from A1 Decoys asking for help finding 'Ammo' their 15 month old springer that went 'missing' from the Midland. They asked for it's return with 'no questions asked'. Hopefully it is returned to the rightful owner once the microchip is checked by the new 'recipient', who no doubt will have paid a good sum for the dog from its second 'owner' !!

OB