Poor acorn harvest?

pinfireman

It,s beginning to look as though the acorn, and beechmast harvest this year will be poor, due to the long, hot summer!  In the woods around me, the acorns look small, and under-developed. Lack of water in July and early August  has lead to this. Last decade or so, wet summers have lead to bumper crops of these staple woody diets, and have kept the birds in the woods for quite a long time. This year, we might start to see them  flocking on rape and stubbles well before Xmas. Which could lead to big bags?

humongous acorn harvest here....aaannnndddd...................the acorns are falling onto ground that has been tilled and drilled........so they wont get ploughed in this year............

i have a line of 10 3-400 year old oaks...across one of my fields   so i will be keeping a close eye on them............

5 hours ago, dipper said:

Went out Thursday for a look round loandsof acorns and loads of pigeons on them.

are the acorns filled out? Here, they are not much bigger than peas!

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

humongous acorn harvest here....aaannnndddd...................the acorns are falling onto ground that has been tilled and drilled........so they wont get ploughed in this year............

i have a line of 10 3-400 year old oaks...across one of my fields   so i will be keeping a close eye on them............

Already falling? Here, the horse chestnuts gave up the ghost, turned brown 3 weeks ago, and dropped their  nuts early. Very small, the kids here are ignoring them.