A still calm day on lough neagh

Big Al

A week after the season opened and not surprisingle the ducks are wary and street smart. A still calm day can be the harbinger of a "blank" as the ducks are able to raft up miles off shore as soon as shooting starts.

Back in my usual hide,  I also made the mistake of taking my Browning game gun as well as the Benelli.  Swapping between guns is never a good move but I wondered how easily I could do it as the Benelli is still relatively new to me. It's not as easy as I had anticipated. 

I still managed 3 teal, a mallard and an evasive gadwall. A lone woodpigeon joined them. As with last week my battery life was too short and I missed the end of the flight. I still can't find the spares. 

2 hours ago, welshgun said:

Enjoyed that big Al as well as the others looks a lovely place to shoot don't forget the new batteries for next time😄

😂 I'm going to have to get searching.  I've been banned from buying anything else this month - credit card bill is too high!

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Always a pleasure Big AL Enjoy your videos 👍

Thanks for the kind words 

Man & dog in harmony once again. Changing guns is always going to result in lost rhythm , although I think we all do it from time to time for no good reason. I was surprised you did not drop two teal from the pack we saw you shoot at in the video!

Good watch as usual. Make sure your remote is not connected when filming off your headcam..I expect you know that runs the battery down rapidly. Thanks for posting.

3 hours ago, pbutd said:

Man & dog in harmony once again. Changing guns is always going to result in lost rhythm , although I think we all do it from time to time for no good reason. I was surprised you did not drop two teal from the pack we saw you shoot at in the video!

Good watch as usual. Make sure your remote is not connected when filming off your headcam..I expect you know that runs the battery down rapidly. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the comment - my camera is an SJ4000 so doesn't have a remote. I may have to upgrade though as that sounds like a useful feature. 

I've a birthday next month .....

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Enjoyed that. Fabulous scenery and great footage of your dog working; can't wait to get out. 

Thanks Scully - it is a beautiful place. And pretty remote. It's not that many years since the whole bay was frozen over and we were shooting pheasants from the ice. 

Another good 'un, thanks a lot. It looks  as though you would do well to stick with that Benelli , they do make exceedingly good guns.

Wounded diving ducks are the curse of the wildfowler, its sometimes amazing how far they can travel without showing.

I have often shot two birds with one shot ........when nobody was watching. :)

21 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Another good 'un, thanks a lot. It looks  as though you would do well to stick with that Benelli , they do make exceedingly good guns.

Wounded diving ducks are the curse of the wildfowler, its sometimes amazing how far they can travel without showing.

I have often shot two birds with one shot ........when nobody was watching.

Thanks Cranfield.  I really like the Benelli - I'm just going to have to shoot a few clays with the o/u before the game season! ! Semi- autos not welcome! 

I did shoot 3 teal with one shot once. Pure fluke shooting at a pack.

As there was little wind that morning, I was surprised I couldn't even see ripples. Very elusive.

On 13/09/2018 at 18:34, KB1 said:

Fantastic Dog!

Cheers - I got him as a pup from a guy who lives a mile down the road from my house six years ago. I've been trying to find someone with a bitch I can breed him with but I haven't found anyone yet. He is KC registered if anyone can help me! 

It's complicated - you currently need a European Firearms Pass and then you can apply to the Gardai  (Garda Síochána - Irish Police ) for a permit to take guns into ROI.

BUT that will all change with Brexit. Noone knows what is going to happen - BASC NI or Countryside Alliance Ireland would be your best bet tbh.