Squirrel catching tips needed

30-6

Nine times out of ten bait used in the fenn tunnels or live catch cages are being taken before a squirrel can get a look in.

I have tried peanuts, peanut spread, hazle nuts and sweet corn. I have spread it, hung it on wire and tried hiding it under leaves so not visible. 

I have put traps of different designs, on the floor and up in trees, made mesh size smaller and made entrance holes with flaps, but still I am met with no catches most of the time.

Sometimes the fenn is gone off and empty or just stripped of bait and still set. I have seen great tits in them before I made entry harder, eat the food and depart unharmed. But the biggest culprit are mice, confirmed by leaving their droppings.

I have caught two squirrels but there are still some more about, too near to the chickens. Not overrun but need to be kept in check.

Any advice on my dillema ?

Get the fenn in a decent sized tunnel (I use wooden wine boxes donated by the estate owner with an entrance cut either end) and make sure it’s set across the tunnel with the jaws 90 degrees to the entrance. Don’t worry about bait, curiosity will kill more than enough squirrels, they just need to get inside the tunnel and commit to being nosey; I’ve taken close to 500 doing that over the past 3yrs on one bit of land alone. 

I have a friend who has a box trap which he straps to a tree and the Fenn is on a shelf inside. Smears with peanut butter and a few peanuts and he has been very succesful.

The entrance is underneath, squirrel climbs tree enters the bottom and climbs on shelf, job done.  I do not know where he obtained them but will enquire. Maybe someone on here has knowledge.  I personally use live catch cages on stands and have modified them with a peanut feeder at one end beyond the treadle.  When natural food runs out these are very succesful. Just visit them twice a day carrying 410.  The benefit here is the small birds also get fed.

DO NOT FORGET TO LOG YOUR KILLS ON HERE WE NEED TO HIT THAT MAGICAL 2000 BY 31ST DECEMBER.

30-6 We make special feeders for the live traps, made out of stainless steel small mesh rolled up like a toilet roll with old jam jar lids wired onto the ends. The feeder is then fixed above the treadle. If you put some whole peanuts, hazelnuts or even walnuts into the bait mix then this can’t be eaten by birds and mice but will still attract squirrels. I don’t mind the tits having some of the bait because their activity will attract greys. Keep up the good work!

Walker, why do you use a .410 in the trap rather than an air rifle?

12 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

30-6 We make special feeders for the live traps, made out of stainless steel small mesh rolled up like a toilet roll with old jam jar lids wired onto the ends. The feeder is then fixed above the treadle. If you put some whole peanuts, hazelnuts or even walnuts into the bait mix then this can’t be eaten by birds and mice but will still attract squirrels. I don’t mind the tits having some of the bait because their activity will attract greys. Keep up the good work!

Walker, why do you use a .410 in the trap rather than an air rifle?

Just that I have a huge supply of 2 inch cartridges donated by folk...Old Farrier being one and a shame to waste them.

I do also use the AA S200 occasionally.  Find I do not have many catches until the cooler weather sets in....end of October onwards.  During the summer they are 17HMR fodder

There is a thread on here showing my similar set up but I make the feeder right at the back of the trap filling the whole width top to bottom and I cut a couple of squares out and the tits, nuthatches can pop in and help themselves. I don't mind feeding them and yes, you are right their activity certainly attracts the tree rats.

Whack 'em and stack 'em.

Edited by Walker570

Walker , I understand now. I thought you might be reloading them because they’re not cheap to buy! 

I have seen the previous thread on your feeders - clever. However, I am spoilt. One of our volunteers, who is no longer fit enough to get out in the Woods makes them by the score. They are actually very neat, light and fairly long lasting. I use a sawn off .22 air rifle to cull because I can conceal it easier when operating in public parks and woods. Deadly accurate at 2 inches! 👍

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 20:42, 30-6 said:

Any advice on my dillema ?

I wouldn't worry, if a squirrel goes in your trap will do the job, I'm also feeding mice and birds at the moment in my live catch trap, but if a squirrel pops by its good night.

The one I caught last was an empty trap, no bait but it was obviously having a snif.

I used to build my tunnels from a chicken wire arch too small a mesh to let the birds through the sides and bait them with peanuts  that I bought in a huge sack from bird food website. Used to get something in the traps most days sometimes a rat but mostly a squirrel. To me Fenn traps are devastatingly effective. I used to wash mine in soapy water and weather them outdoors for a few days after a kill. That's just rural folklore I was taught as a kid. don't know if its important just followed it blindly. Then lubricate them with beeswax on the moving surfaces and back out to work.

In a good year we probably got 500 squirrels, you could sell the tails back then, and the bodies were given to a pet shop bloke who kept and sold pythons.

On 11/09/2018 at 02:23, Mice! said:

I wouldn't worry, if a squirrel goes in your trap will do the job, I'm also feeding mice and birds at the moment in my live catch trap, but if a squirrel pops by its good night.

The one I caught last was an empty trap, no bait but it was obviously having a snif.

The main trap catches I get are from October through to end of February and nine times out of ten they enter a trap I know needs filling up with peanuts, probably just a few bits in the bottom of the container. As said, you only need to watch them for a few minutes to realise they are very inquisitive animals and just the smell is enough.  I enjoy seeing the hundreds of small birds I now have in my wood because I keep the main predators down, magpies and jays as well as squirrels. The cost of a few peanuts is well worth it.

• 4 months later...

I have been finding egg shells attract and seem to be left alone by mice.

I started using this after finding 7 egg shells in and around the hole at the base of a tree, near chicken coop.

Had 2 in a week in a fenn Mk6, after ensuring the area was chicken, dog and cat proof.

Anyone seen a squirrel carrying a chicken egg ?

There was something last week on Facebook about a fella thinking squirrels had killed a chicken? Apparently just an opening high up, guy was saying no way could it be rats, he was putting up cameras to try and catch something in the act.

not sure of the outcome, but squirrels take eggs and chicks so why not hens eggs.