Thread adaptor

Benthejockey

Bought a new secondhand rifle the other day and being tight opted not to have the mod it came with after all one of my mods would surely fit...as luck would have it they don’t!!! I was hoping to get to the gun shop in question and pick up a mod today but circumstances dictated that I couldn’t and won’t get chance for a good while now. Then I got to thinking - dangerous I know! Is it possible/safe/legal/won’t affect accuracy to fit a thread adaptor so I can use my current ASE mod. The rifle is 1/2”x28 UNEF and the mod is 1/2”x20 UNF...I think. I obviously will check before I ordered an adapter. They’re only about £20 or so from the good old US of A and I’m sure with a bit more research I could find some English ones. 

That’s good. The more I thought about it the more I thought it might work. After all the mod just screws onto the end doesn’t it. I’ll see if I can get one made up over here by someone. I understand that threading a little lump of metal with a hole in the middle isn’t the most technical thing in the world but my technical expertise with anything like that runs as far as hitting it with a hammer and if that doesn’t work get a bigger hammer 😂

9 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Bought a new secondhand rifle the other day and being tight opted not to have the mod it came with after all one of my mods would surely fit...as luck would have it they don’t!!! I was hoping to get to the gun shop in question and pick up a mod today but circumstances dictated that I couldn’t and won’t get chance for a good while now. Then I got to thinking - dangerous I know! Is it possible/safe/legal/won’t affect accuracy to fit a thread adaptor so I can use my current ASE mod. The rifle is 1/2”x28 UNEF and the mod is 1/2”x20 UNF...I think. I obviously will check before I ordered an adapter. They’re only about £20 or so from the good old US of A and I’m sure with a bit more research I could find some English ones. 

Opps.....:hmm:

Hausken mods are all the same thread, but they do adapters to change it to whatever thread you want. If the manufacturer does it, it must be safe to do so. 

If one of your mods is 18x1 thread, you might be able to buy a Hausken adapter cheaper than having one made. 

22 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

I’m not getting involved in the ‘£20s too much or isn’t’ discussion. My thoughts are if you are adapting one thread to another in the same diameter then there has to be sufficient metal to make it strong enough to withstand the pressure produced at the muzzle. Surely this will add some length to the barrel and overall length of the barrel? If you are ok with that and OK with the quality of the adapter then go for it. I have an ATec in 1/2 unef for SIG 522. It wasn’t expensive. 

Edited by The Burpster

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:54, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Have a look on the bay at the cost of adaptors and tell me again that l'm wrong.

£20 is a rip off.

Cant imagine your getting high quality if your expecting to pay less than £20, it wouldn't take long to make one so long as you have material gauges tooling, at twenty quid there probably pumping out two hundred a shift somewhere.

l know what "top quality" adaptors cost as l used to work in the aerospace industry producing such item's, and 200 an hour would not even be in the ball park let alone per shift.

lf you look at quality adaptors male to female for high pressure hydraulic fitment you can get a pair for half that.

The adaptor holding a moderator on to the end of a gun barrel is not taking anything like the pressures incurred in a hydraulic system, if it was l think you would find your moderator failing long before the adaptor.