Jessewells28

So I go wildfowling in Hampshire on the marsh that ranges from Lymington down to Hurst castle. Good start to the season so far. Enjoying it. I have done both morning and evening flights. Starting to realise I prefer the morning. The walk back in the pitch black can be quite hard when you don't know how far you have left and you have already done a full day at work! Morning flight I like that you can walk out in the dark. By time your shooting it's lighting up. Easier to pick up birds. The sunrise!!! Anyway.... What I want to know is.. does anyone go out mid afternoon.. and during the day ? Sometimes this is more practical for me with work hours etc. 

Thanks 

One of the beauties of wildfowling is that you can go out at any time of the day and be in with a chance of a shot.

The flight times and habits of the different species of duck can vary hugely, depending on location. Put different weather conditions, wind direction/strength and tide height etc into the mix and things are very interesting.

50 minutes ago, Ajarrett said:

That depends where you are. Two hours before the tide you wouldn't be able to get onto some of the Kent marshes. Find out what time access creeks flood and plan accordingly. In Kent I always allow about four hours before high water; creeks will fill later than that, but better to early just in case!

It's a long muddy slog out to them islands at Stoke.

4 minutes ago, Jessewells28 said:

So what sort of timings would you need on a tide flight... Sorry just after a bit of advice 

That depends where you are. Two hours before the tide you wouldn't be able to get onto some of the Kent marshes. Find out what time access creeks flood and plan accordingly. In Kent I always allow about four hours before high water; creeks will fill later than that, but better to early just in case!

4 hours ago, motty said:

One of the beauties of wildfowling is that you can go out at any time of the day and be in with a chance of a shot.

The flight times and habits of the different species of duck can vary hugely, depending on location. Put different weather conditions, wind direction/strength and tide height etc into the mix and things are very interesting.

Just been out for a walk now. Last high tide was at 12 pm give or take. And low tide is coming up at 6pm again give or take. Walked round d the sea wall where I went the other morning. Nice spot on the marsh in front of a pond. I would say there is actually more mallard and real around the other morning !! Didn't have the gun 😑

If you are new to the sport you need to find out as much as possible about how different weather conditions can affect the tide , the tide time tables are only a guide for normal conditions , if you were shooting around the Wash area and down the East coast when there was force 7 / 8 North / Easterly  gale then the tide times would be roughly the same but the height could well be twice the predicted height .

When we had the tidal surge down the East coast a few years ago I was out fowling that night on the marsh , the bottom of the tide was as high as the predicted high tide then six hours later the top of the tide was slightly higher than when we had the 1953 floods , it was only the added flood protection that kept us dry from severe flooding .

So spend as much time as you can learning how the wind , moon ect affect the heights of the tides , who knows , one day it might save your life from a watery grave . 

You need to get to know your area many factors can play a part location tide food sources weather shooting activity and manymore, some areas geese return late morning to rooster if you intercept them between feeding and roost griting areas at these times they can be silly low if not regularly hunted at these time in your area.        Do your home work it will pay dividends in your he years to come.

15 minutes ago, marsh man said:

If you are new to the sport you need to find out as much as possible about how different weather conditions can affect the tide , the tide time tables are only a guide for normal conditions , if you were shooting around the Wash area and down the East coast when there was force 7 / 8 North / Easterly  gale then the tide times would be roughly the same but the height could well be twice the predicted height .

When we had the tidal surge down the East coast a few years ago I was out fowling that night on the marsh , the bottom of the tide was as high as the predicted high tide then six hours later the top of the tide was slightly higher than when we had the 1953 floods , it was only the added flood protection that kept us dry from severe flooding .

So spend as much time as you can learning how the wind , moon ect affect the heights of the tides , who knows , one day it might save your life from a watery grave . 

This :good:, 100% agree

In truth you can go at anytime, shoot on an outgoing tide pack up and head back as the tide comes in ... or on an incoming tide over high water if your marsh has a place for you..there is no right or wrong way ..

The only thing you can do wrong is jeopardise your or someone else life with you or trying to save you.. 

So learn your marshes, learn how they react to changes in the environment.. and be safe 

ATB 

Terry