sugar beet

ditchman

i do most of my shooting over new harvested sugar beet and tops.................have noticed today something i havnt seen for a long long while........and that is sugar beet bolting....not just the odd one but whole area's of them...............if it goes like this everywhere. it will have a big impact on production (profits)............

anyone else noticing this ?

35 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i do most of my shooting over new harvested sugar beet and tops.................have noticed today something i havnt seen for a long long while........and that is sugar beet bolting....not just the odd one but whole area's of them...............if it goes like this everywhere. it will have a big impact on production (profits)............

anyone else noticing this ?

No , I haven't noticed sugar beet bolting , but i have noticed how small both the leaf and the root is this year which will also affect the profits , and I did hear today the factory isn't going to open just yet to give the roots a chance to get a bit of weight on them .

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Dry summer, whats the spuds like down there ?

As ditchman was saying , the spuds had been irrigated every day up until the time they cut the tops off before lifting , its been a very easy time for the gang who do the harvesting with the continuing dry weather with all the early ones now in storage or all ready gone to the supermarkets .

I cant see them being as cheap as last year with the garden center at Stalham selling them for £5 for 25 kilos or three bags for a tenner ( still are ) , at that price that cost me more to nick them , oops sorry I meant pick them :lol:.

By the way they were Nadine and Desiree .

7 hours ago, marsh man said:

As ditchman was saying , the spuds had been irrigated every day up until the time they cut the tops off before lifting , its been a very easy time for the gang who do the harvesting with the continuing dry weather with all the early ones now in storage or all ready gone to the supermarkets .

I cant see them being as cheap as last year with the garden center at Stalham selling them for £5 for 25 kilos or three bags for a tenner ( still are ) , at that price that cost me more to nick them , oops sorry I meant pick them .

Two of Ditchman's favourites, not forgetting Fat Sarah of course!

8 hours ago, marsh man said:

I cant see them being as cheap as last year with the garden center at Stalham selling them for £5 for 25 kilos or three bags for a tenner ( still are ) , at that price that cost me more to nick them , oops sorry I meant pick them :lol:

I invariably get given the odd bag of onions and spuds from my farmer friends, but it doesn't quite have the same satisfaction as 'gleaning' any left from the fields after harvest. Something to do with the hunter gatherer, or maybe just being a tight g-I-t. !!

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Two of Ditchman's favourites, not forgetting Fat Sarah of course!

Sarah is from the ole school , a CHIP off the ole block.

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I invariably get given the odd bag of onions and spuds from my farmer friends, but it doesn't quite have the same satisfaction as 'gleaning' any left from the fields after harvest. Something to do with the hunter gatherer, or maybe just being a tight g-I-t. !!

OB

Old habits die hard OB , I still follow the harvesters about after lifting the spuds , and even though the machinery now is more efficient  than the ones from the past you can still find enough to fill a carrier bag  ( or maybe a few more ) ☺️,  as the body don't bend as easily as it once did I now take one of those litter pickers to save on the bending, and hopefully on the pocket .

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

I cant see them being as cheap as last year with the garden center at Stalham selling them for £5 for 25 kilos or three bags for a tenner ( still are ) , at that price that cost me more to nick them , oops sorry I meant pick them .

jeez 3 bags for a tenner, cant be bad,  I remember the farm i was on near Dunmow in 76 [pre irrigation] we were selling bags for a fiver, main-crop the size of a large marble

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

jeez 3 bags for a tenner, cant be bad,  I remember the farm i was on near Dunmow in 76 [pre irrigation] we were selling bags for a fiver, main-crop the size of a large marble

They were that price ( and still are ) well before last Christmas , I got an assortment of different spuds during the Autumn and had around three 25 kilo bags in my garage , when I think the amount of bending and lugging I done for the sake of saving a tenner , I must had been mad or hard up , come to think of it I was both hard up and wasn't thinking straight ☺️, having said that , I am just home after doing the exactly the same thing , no point taking the dog for a walk around a spud field without taking a bag with you. 

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And when did you become a moderator?:rolleyes:

im just practicing for when Teal will ask me...and pay me £40k/year................

oh and by the way....................

WE WILL HAVE NUN OF YOUR CHEEK..............or a few points will be in order ...:big_boss:

as you were...carry on

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im just practicing for when Teal will ask me...and pay me £40k/year................

WE WILL HAVE NUN OF YOUR CHEEK..............or a few points will be in order ...:big_boss:

as you were...carry on

Swap pints for points and it nearly makes sense!:rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Swap pints for points and it nearly makes sense!:rolleyes:

sorry cant do that.............we are participating in a "dont get slaughtered in october" campaign...so we wont be dispensing any alcohol.....and the money we will save will go to India to save the poor starving people so that they can continue to buy British industry and set up curry houses on the moon...

anyway no more levity....or i will be forced to send this thread to............................"the playpen"

(how am i doing so far ??:hmm:)

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

They were that price ( and still are ) well before last Christmas , I got an assortment of different spuds during the Autumn and had around three 25 kilo bags in my garage , when I think the amount of bending and lugging I done for the sake of saving a tenner , I must had been mad or hard up , come to think of it I was both hard up and wasn't thinking straight ☺️, having said that , I am just home after doing the exactly the same thing , no point taking the dog for a walk around a spud field without taking a bag with you. 

Quite right, nought wrong with a bit scrumping ! have you got blackberries and field mushrooms down there yet..?  whos this new mod seems a bit rude [think ill put him on ignore] 

39 minutes ago, ditchman said:

as you were...carry on

Watch your back Zap, there’s a new kid waiting in the wings. :whistling:

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Quite right, nought wrong with a bit scrumping ! have you got blackberries and field mushrooms down there yet..?  whos this new mod seems a bit rude [think ill put him on ignore] 

TAKE 2 POINTS YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.............

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

sorry cant do that.............we are participating in a "dont get slaughtered in october" campaign...so we wont be dispensing any alcohol.....and the money we will save will go to India to save the poor starving people so that they can continue to buy British industry and set up curry houses on the moon...

anyway no more levity....or i will be forced to send this thread to............................"the playpen"

(how am i doing so far ??:hmm:)

Doing a good job? But can you sort out these points if I get 3 points for speeding thay last for three years. Get two points on PW you got them for good.

I'm on my final warning for mock swearing. 

59 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Whilst we are talking about "talk from the field"............

why are several MP's and worthies wearing ears of corn on their lapels today..............?

They've been doing that for a few years now, it's ears of corn bound with wool to show support for our farmers.