30-6

Needing to get a 5 door with new grandchild on the way.

Currently drive a jimny and love it.

Had a little peak at a darcia duster today, new on a 2018 plate, Essential model in 4x4.  Anybody using one of these ? Reviews seem good, if a bit slow, road tax if I got it right is £500 a year.

Any opinions appreciated.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

They get good reviews, are not at all poncy and are great value. Not so sure about £500 road tax though!

Exactly , I cant find any duster with £500 tax ?!
A 1.5 or 1.6 DCi is about £150 a year, the biggest petrol about £250 max.
Good solid Renault/Nissan engines, they used to be a bit plasticky on the interiors , but the newer ones are better + and a bit dearer than they used to be for it.

I looked again in the brochure and it says £515 for the first year. Why the first year don't now.

Pistol p - I' m guessing the ones you are working are pre - 2018. The one I am interested in is the essential model in 4x4, with a 1.6 petrol available November 2018.

Edit to add. There's a 1.5 turbo petrol coming out in 2019.

Edited by 30-6

1 hour ago, 30-6 said:

I looked again in the brochure and it says £515 for the first year. Why the first year don't now.

Pistol p - I' m guessing the ones you are working are pre - 2018. The one I am interested in is the essential model in 4x4, with a 1.6 petrol available November 2018.

Edit to add. There's a 1.5 turbo petrol coming out in 2019.

You are correct, the petrol 4 x 4 s spit out 152 co2 , one point over the limit, putting them in the higher £515 tax bracket, a 2 wheel drive with the same engine is £205 !
Well I wouldnt be buying that one !
Wait for a 4x4 DCi 1.5 or 1.6 if I was you.

Have any PW members driven the new model Duster in hilly terrain?   Brochure for the 2018 model 4x4 suggests a very large gap between 1st and 2nd gears (1st  = 3.6mph/1000rpm, 2nd = 9.97mph/1000rpm).   If starting off on a long steep hill, you would presumably need at least 5000rpm, maybe more, before you could change up into 2nd.   Years ago, in a very low-powered car, I had to drive all the way up Porlock in 1st gear, and it wasn’t much fun.

52 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Have any PW members driven the new model Duster in hilly terrain?   Brochure for the 2018 model 4x4 suggests a very large gap between 1st and 2nd gears (1st  = 3.6mph/1000rpm, 2nd = 9.97mph/1000rpm).   If starting off on a long steep hill, you would presumably need at least 5000rpm, maybe more, before you could change up into 2nd.   Years ago, in a very low-powered car, I had to drive all the way up Porlock in 1st gear, and it wasn’t much fun.

:yes::good:

I used to have to Zig-zag up in my 1936 (Ithink it was) Morris Minor side valve.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:02, McSpredder said:

Had a test drive in a new one was told don't set off in first gear use second he said first was realy a crawle gear this was in a diesel 

Edited by terence

My 14 plate has done some hilly climbing (where you can't see the track well for the bonnet) on both hard rock and loose material (type 1 and larger with no binders) and no issues as long as tyres are decent and there is more than sufficient power/torque.

Effectively you treat the No2-NO6 gears as a normal 5 speed gear box.

1st Gear is definitely crawler gear and after 105,000 miles of starting off in 2 gear still no issues with clutch.

Edited by Stonepark

• 1 year later...
On 15/09/2018 at 09:54, Stonepark said:

My 14 plate has done some hilly climbing (where you can't see the track well for the bonnet) on both hard rock and loose material (type 1 and larger with no binders) and no issues as long as tyres are decent and there is more than sufficient power/torque.

Effectively you treat the No2-NO6 gears as a normal 5 speed gear box.

1st Gear is definitely crawler gear and after 105,000 miles of starting off in 2 gear still no issues with clutch.

I wish they’d told me that about the one I test drove the other week 🤣

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I wish they’d told me that about the one I test drove the other week 🤣

Yep, changer gear at 4mph from 1st to 2nd requires a bit of work to avoid the car bouncing about.

Got acompany car 69 plate one as well now and original feels like a heavier to drive as new one is quite a bit more refined in handling.

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

So did you buy one Lloyd ?

No the one I test drove was very clunky and juddery... although maybe because I should have been pulling off in 2nd and not 1st etc 🤔

Be handy if the garage knew and told you that eh. 

I am trying to find a 2018+ model (with the new engine and changes) to test drive and possibly buy but so far the only one I can see on auto trader is over 200 miles away. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

No the one I test drove was very clunky and juddery... although maybe because I should have been pulling off in 2nd and not 1st etc 🤔

Be handy if the garage knew and told you that eh. 

I am trying to find a 2018+ model (with the new engine and changes) to test drive and possibly buy but so far the only one I can see on auto trader is over 200 miles away. 

Yeh they never told me about the second gear thing when I test drove mine either, despite it being a Dacia dealer.

I’m pretty sure it says in the handbook to do this, unless poor conditions.

Might be selling mine soon, as the missus is now working from home indefinitely and she’s only filled her petrol tank once since February!

1 hour ago, humperdingle said:

Yeh they never told me about the second gear thing when I test drove mine either, despite it being a Dacia dealer.

I’m pretty sure it says in the handbook to do this, unless poor conditions.

Might be selling mine soon, as the missus is now working from home indefinitely and she’s only filled her petrol tank once since February!

I am looking to try the 1.5 Diesel in 4x4 ... the more basic Comfort model. 

Only thing it lacks is keyless entry / starting I think ... blind spot warning and all around cameras. 

Id prefer to use the key (as you can’t put the windows down without putting the engine on otherwise)... and heard lots of these blind spot indicators play up in the rain. 

Im not sure what difference 16 vs 17” rims would make?! 

23 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I am looking to try the 1.5 Diesel in 4x4 ... the more basic Comfort model. 

Only thing it lacks is keyless entry / starting I think ... blind spot warning and all around cameras. 

Id prefer to use the key (as you can’t put the windows down without putting the engine on otherwise)... and heard lots of these blind spot indicators play up in the rain. 

Im not sure what difference 16 vs 17” rims would make?! 

Must admit, I don’t like the keyless system. They just seem way too easy for thieves to steal (?) I know anything can be nicked if they really want it but I just don’t trust keyless.

Mine is 1.5 DCi 4x4 but 2014 Laureate, so the spec is decent. It’s been a decent motor tbh but haven’t taken it offroad yet.

Can’t comment on wheel size as I know nothing about it :D

I just bought the mrs a Discovery Sport and deliberately went for 18 inch rims over the 20 inch because they come fitted with deeper, higher aspect ratio tyres instead of those silly rubber band jobs that make the car bloody harsh and uncomfortable.

I will be out in a Duster tomorrow, checking on pheasant pens with a mate, and trust me, he won’t spare the vehicle wherever we have to take it.

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

I just bought the mrs a Discovery Sport and deliberately went for 18 inch rims over the 20 inch because they come fitted with deeper, higher aspect ratio tyres instead of those silly rubber band jobs that make the car bloody harsh and uncomfortable.

I will be out in a Duster tomorrow, checking on pheasant pens with a mate, and trust me, he won’t spare the vehicle wherever we have to take it.

Let us know how it goes please 👍🏻