TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Are these the same world class economists who predicted the end of the world of brexit was voted for,

Brexit hasn't happened yet. We're still in the EU.

24 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

or the same ones who said we'd be in trouble if we didn't adopt the Euro,

Are you saying the the UK would have been worse off in the Euro? The chart hardly bears that our.....

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-EUR#charts

7 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

A predictable response.

7 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Are you saying the the UK would have been worse off in the Euro? The chart hardly bears that our.....

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-EUR#charts

Haha the irony !
But we never joined the Euro, so the projections are invalid/moot !

18 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

A predictable response.

Of course it's predicable - because it's true. The thing about Brexit is that there's no status-quo ante to act as a safety net. We don't just keep the pound and carry on as before. If they make a mess of the doivorce -which it looks like they're doing royally. - then on 29th March Britain steps off an economic cliff. Now, that might be a price worth paying. But let's not pretend that the consequences won't be dire in the extreme because they will be.

What price would be acceptable to be rid of the EU? Sterling at 2 to the Euro? at 3? or 4? An unemployment of 10%? 20? 30? At some point in any endeavour the costs need to be balanced against the gain. And that's my big issue with the likes of JRM and Johnson. They just lie and say that there won't be costs - and long-term ones to boot. Never did like liars....

How do you know we will be stepping off an economic cliff?

How do you know the consequences will be dire ?

Its no good talking about theoretical employment rates or £ values, because no one knows what will happen.
It could be completely opposite to the doom mongers predictions.
Or the EU could cave at the 11th hour and give us the deal we want, and by that I dont mean Chequers.
They seem pretty desperate to get their hands on the divorce money to me.

You site 'experts' ?
Do you remember 1999 ?
'Experts' said we all needed to buy software to protect us from the end days of the Millennium bug !
Otherwise the power stations would shut down, food would run out , and your toaster would try to kill you.
Project fear, but it never happened, because the 'experts' were completely , utterly wrong.

What price is acceptable for Brexit ?
I dont know, Ill let you know when it happens.
What I wont do is NOT do it because 'experts' tell me not to.
If we all listen to them we wouldnt be leaving, so its time to give it a rest with the fear factor.
It didnt work in 2016 and it wont work now.

Jacob Rees-Mogg gets a panning for his figures, by someone who says "then on 29th March Britain steps off an economic cliff". Pot and kettle spring to mind.

Retsdon - for someone who isn't really bothered either way, you continually make posts which make you sound like a prophet of doom or a very staunch remainer. Either way, you haven't a clue what will happen when we leave and neither has anyone else. There are way too many variables and people who make outlandish predictions appear very silly.

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

Exactly, so how can you predict disaster if we leave? Don't forget, all the experts predicted doom and gloom from the moment the leave vote was to come in.

Yes it's almost certain our economy would be worse off had we adopted the Euro as our currency.

Here's a link giving a general outline on how negative joing the single currency would have been for us and also the other EU members.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/6182/economics/if-the-uk-had-been-in-the-euro/

Edited by 12gauge82

I think TM is a mediocre leader at best but I don't think now is the right time for a leadership battle. 

As an aside, I recently stopped following Mike Harding on faceache because I was sick and tired of being one of the few pro Brexit voices. As soon as brexit was mentioned there would be a huge gaggle of doomsayers saying how bad it will all be, without knowing anything about what's going on. 

We are still negotiating, but come what may we leave the EU next year. It would be great if it could be a good exit but it's an exit whatever. Even with a transition period we still leave the EU. They just wouldn't accept that simple fact. 

1 hour ago, manthing said:

As an aside, I recently stopped following Mike Harding on faceache because I was sick and tired of being one of the few pro Brexit voices. As soon as brexit was mentioned there would be a huge gaggle of doomsayers saying how bad it will all be, without knowing anything about what's going on. 

I find this an interesting point, one of the common bits of fake news that is constantly being repeated by remainiacs is along the lines of "brexiters don't understand what they voted for" or "brexiters are less educated than remainers", I have found quite the opposite, most of the people who voted remain that I have spoken to haven't the first clue as to how the EU works and haven't bothered looking into it either, they generally just repeat whatever sound bite they hear on TV and most i spoke to genuinely believed the world was going to fall in on them as soon as the vote for leave was announced, some admitting they were wrong and would vote leave in another referendum for democratic reasons. I think most who voted leave actually looked into it a bit, or have a bit of life experience and could see through the lies being propagated by the deep establishment, something which through no fault of their own, uni students and the like haven't yet had enough life experience to do. I also believe if another fair referendum was held (a second referendum wouldn't be fair, they ask a question like option 1. Remain, 2.soft brexit, 3. Hard brexit, ensuring the leave vote would be split and remain could then take the biggest single share) leave would win by a much bigger margin due to all the people hoodwinked into voting remain on the back of scare tactics last time.

@12gauge82

I was accused of being to thick to understand, I then pointed out I have a top 2.5% IQ and understand things perfectly well thank you. 

I was also accused of being far right wing and a racist homophobe. I countered that I know the country needs some migration just not mass migration. I don't really mind someone coming to this country so long as they are prepared to chip in before expecting to live from our pot. And I'd dicuss my homophobia with my daughter and her girlfriend next time I saw them. 

I had alsorts thrown my way and none of it was true. 

I'm just your average middle aged white bloke that's is fed up of being pushed about. 

There's a lot of us around... 

Edited by manthing

5 hours ago, manthing said:

I'm just your average middle aged white bloke that's is fed up of being pushed about. 

And like me, presumably a member of the most discriminated against group in this land which is:  White, male, taxpayer, married with children, not in receipt of any benefits and owning your own home. No group, medium or organisation of any kind gives a hoot about us or our sensitivities but we are the ones paying the housekeeping bills for the entire country and watch helplessly as the money is redistributed to an ever increasing % of the population, too many of whom have arrived from overseas.

Edited by Westward
typo

1 minute ago, Westward said:

And like me, presumably a member of the most discriminated against group in this land which is:  White, male, taxpayer, married with children, not in receipt of any benefits and owning your own home. No group, medium or organisation of any kind gives a hoot about us or our sensitivities but we pay the housekeeping bills for the entire country and watch helplessly as the money is redistributed to an ever increasing % of the population, too many of whom have arrived from overseas.

Aye ,and a dying breed.
I wonder who will pay for the lazy% when we are all gone ?

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Uncle Jeremy and Auntie Dianne with money from their magic tree!

Id like to say people wouldnt be so stupid to believe the tosh that comes out of their mouths.
But the sort of people who have never known anything but a life on benefits, would do just that unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Id like to say people wouldnt be so stupid to believe the tosh that comes out of their mouths.
But the sort of people who have never known anything but a life on benefits, would do just that unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Westward said:

That's it! How did I miss that? 🤯

Gentlemen, they have been too quiet for too long, I expect him to issue another impossible promise within the next few weeks!

7 hours ago, Westward said:

And like me, presumably a member of the most discriminated against group in this land which is:  White, male, taxpayer, married with children, not in receipt of any benefits and owning your own home. No group, medium or organisation of any kind gives a hoot about us or our sensitivities but we are the ones paying the housekeeping bills for the entire country and watch helplessly as the money is redistributed to an ever increasing % of the population, too many of whom have arrived from overseas.

Despite all the bleatings of all other groupes claiming discrimination and how hard done to they say they are,  suicide rates suggest this is correct. 

24 minutes ago, Paul1440 said:

Despite all the bleatings of all other groupes claiming discrimination and how hard done to they say they are,  suicide rates suggest this is correct. 

Isn't that the truth, a lad my age ish, rugby player family and kids committed suicide at the weekend, tragic really.

8 hours ago, Westward said:

That's a lot of us i imagine, but we don't know what brexit means!!!

It's a chance for something different for a start.

16 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I wonder who will pay for the lazy% when we are all gone ?

I don't know and most governments don't care because they'll be gone too.

What really grieves me is that most of the money isn't going to the lazy scroungers; it's funding working people to have nice homes, nice cars and nice holidays without having to actually earn the money to pay for it all.

For example, there are 3 single mothers living up the lane each in their own home and every one has negotiated their working hours to the minimum of 16 per week because their tax credits more than make up the difference to what they'd take home working full time. It's a triple whammy for the economy because instead of the old way of a specific job being done by a full time worker paying their tax through PAYE, there are now 2 people covering the same job with neither of them paying any tax and with Johnny Taxpayer throwing tax credits at them because they're "low paid". Finally, the big employers love it because the system is so utterly bonkers that they can keep wages and employment costs down, thereby boosting the bottom line.

Three cheers for the Gordon  and Tony show entitled "Let's see how many ways we can wreck the country".