Transporting a gun on a motorbike

Bit of a random question this, but I couldn't find any other threads on the forum about it. What are the rules around transporting a gun on a motorcycle? Is it legal, illegal or frowned upon to put a gun, in parts in a bag and carry it on your back on a bike? I just wondered is all, as I ride a bike and drive a car and when/if I eventually get my SGC (still waiting) I wondered if I would be able to go to the local clay shooting ground on my bike with the gun broken down in the bag? Naturally, I have the car at my disposal too, but just wondered. If it's a stupid question please don't be too harsh!

I would suggest getting a gun case/rucksack that can hold the gun in its disassembled state but remember if there is an accident there is going to be 8lb of steel running down you spine, so make sure it is well padded but from a legal issue there is no law to prevent you from doing so if the gun is unliaded and inside a cover.

Your local FAO may have an issue with transport if you take it on bike assembled in a gun slip due to the gun being obvious.

1 minute ago, Scully said:

You could do a search if you want as this has been covered before, but perfectly legal. You can carry one on a pushbike if you want or  walk through town with one as long as it’s slipped. 

Cheers Scully, I did a quick search but I couldn't find anything. Will have a another look. Admin feel free to delete this if it's covering old ground.

Just now, Stonepark said:

I would suggest getting a gun case/rucksack that can hold the gun in its disassembled state but remember if there is an accident there is going to be 8lb of steel running down you spine, so make sure it is well padded but from a legal issue there is no law to prevent you from doing so if the gun is unliaded and inside a cover.

Your local FAO may have an issue with transport if you take it on bike assembled in a gun slip due to the gun being obvious.

Yep, a good valid point too. I doubt I ever would (I doubt I'll ever get the SGC at this rate tbh!) but was just curious. Thanks.

My 2p worth...

years ago i was going to a clay gound with my shotgun in a padded slip when I was rear ended and sustained whiplash (off work for a couple of weeks). Police were called and i told them I was going shooting and  had a gun secured  in the boot( which i could still open) and they werent interested. 

In recent years I commuted 15 miles to work in central london by Scooter,  4 x getting knocked off, 1 x broken arm , 3 bikes written off,  I saw sense and got the train.

You will know how vulnerable you are on a bike  and if you come off apart from any injury done to you the gun will probably be mangled (unless in a heavy duty case!) but if i had been carrying  a gun a even in break down mode and police were called after an RTC I suspect they would be very unhappy about the lack of security especially if i was injured and they had to call an ARV to secure the weapon 

cheers

Phil

Edited by gdadphil
spelling

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

You could do a search if you want as this has been covered before, but perfectly legal. You can carry one on a pushbike if you want or  walk through town with one as long as it’s slipped. 

11 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

Totally legal to carry it in a slip as others have said. Be good practice to break it down though and keep the forend separate from the rest of the gun

Excluding anything to do with youngsters - and possibly common sense - but as seen in the case of pocket knives, legal and common sense are often a contradiction in terms, I can't seem to find anything in Section 19 about the need for this. Mind you, my reference is somewhat dated. Does anyone have an update?

28 minutes ago, gdadphil said:

My 2p worth...

years ago i was going to a clay gound with my shotgun in a padded slip when I was rear ended and sustained whiplash (off work for a couple of weeks). Police were called and i told them I was going shooting and  had a gun secured  in the boot( which i could still open) and they werent interested. 

In recent years I commuted 15 miles to work in central london by Scooter,  4 x getting knocked off, 1 x broken arm , 3 bikes written off,  I saw sense and got the train.

You will know how vulnerable you are on a bike  and if you come off apart from any injury done to you the gun will probably be mangled (unless in a heavy duty case!) but if i had been carrying  a gun a even in break down mode and police were called after an RTC I suspect they would be very unhappy about the lack of security especially if i was injured and they had to call an ARV to secure the weapon 

cheers

Phil

Damn, you've had your fair share of prangs eh gdadphil? I ride a Triumph Bonneville myself, and I ride it like a granddad. However I guess it's the other nutters on the road we need to watch out for! XD

Edited by Guest

Whilst in connection with it's legal use It is perfectly legal to carry a firearm in a public place. That includes on a motorbike, bicycle, walking or even horseback.

Just put your gunslip over your back and away you go.

19Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

[F76(a)a loaded shot gun,

(b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

(c)any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)an imitation firearm.]

As for security, it's legal if it's covered then why worry?  Maybe because it's the arrogance in me, but if I'm 100% legal I couldnt give a flying **** about other people's perceptions and will happily carry it on my back. As for other road users and me getting hit and breaking my gun, I'd be more upset that my bike was in bits as I'm not known for having expensive guns. Or bikes for that matter...

It may be legal but is it common sense to ride a motorbike with a shotgun in a slip in an urban area in todays society?

I  would not want to worry about being followed and my address noted as holding a shotgun

and i wouldnt want someone to freak out and tell the police there's a guy with a  sgun over his shoulder driving down the Road 

we have had too many kids on scooters doing raids so peole are more aware 

cheers

In a slip, probably not. But broken down and on the way to a clay shoot, or off for a days wonder, why not? If I was that paranoid of everything that went on around I wouldn't walk or drive never mind ride. 

In all fairness anybody who lives in a town maybe should be more conscious with address, but carrying it broken down in a bag on your back to your bike is no different than carrying it to your car. In fact if it's broken down, people won't even know compared to a slip which you'd put in the car, as you probably wouldn't break it down. 

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

Excluding anything to do with youngsters - and possibly common sense - but as seen in the case of pocket knives, legal and common sense are often a contradiction in terms, I can't seem to find anything in Section 19 about the need for this. Mind you, my reference is somewhat dated. Does anyone have an update?

Absolutely agree. I am not aware of any legislation stipulating such.

4 hours ago, gdadphil said:

It may be legal but is it common sense to ride a motorbike with a shotgun in a slip in an urban area in todays society?

I  would not want to worry about being followed and my address noted as holding a shotgun

and i wouldnt want someone to freak out and tell the police there's a guy with a  sgun over his shoulder driving down the Road 

we have had too many kids on scooters doing raids so peole are more aware 

cheers

I dont get this at all. If we ( shooters ) are to be so afraid to go about our legal business 'just in case', then why do any of us bother? We can be observed leaving our houses with a gun in a slip, anyone can find out clay ground addresses and access clay grounds and walk around them all day unchallenged, taking down number plates or indeed following certain vehicles to their homes. There is a huge difference between common sense and being paranoid. 

If we're at the stage where we daren't go about our lawful business on the streets of Britain in broad daylight, then we've given up. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I dont get this at all. If we ( shooters ) are to be so afraid to go about our legal business 'just in case', then why do any of us bother? We can be observed leaving our houses with a gun in a slip, anyone can find out clay ground addresses and access clay grounds and walk around them all day unchallenged, taking down number plates or indeed following certain vehicles to their homes. There is a huge difference between common sense and being paranoid. 

If we're at the stage where we daren'tgo about our lawful business on the streets of Britain in broad daylight, then we've given up. 

Couldn't agree more. 

I get quite exasperated when so many topics bemoan the ever increasing micro management of gun ownership, yet gun owners themselves are more than happy to suggest and advocate even further restrictions. 

Much as I agree it's common sense to have the gun in a slip or case, and I would personally want to break it down in a bag, I have yet to see any legal requirement for it to be covered at all. A previous post includes the relevant portion of the act and no mention is made of covering the gun.