Scope experts? Swarovski?

wildfowler.250

So considering 'upgrading' the S&B 8x56 as I prefer a higher mag. Currently looking into the option of swarovski. Whats the difference between the z6 and z8? Z6 is definitely more in my price and comfort range 😂 Also deliberating over the IR. Never use it on my other rifle. Will I regret it if I don't have it? How often do folk on here use IR. Generally I find the low light gathering on these scopes is pretty good and forget to even turn it on.

Cheers!

Edited by wildfowler.250

I switched to an IR last year. Just the dot. Wish I had years ago as guess where the hair is when in the woods was getting hard work. Also the night mode switch is very handy at last light. You can see the beast and its start shot but you can't find the cross hair. Flick the switch and the dot glows faintly enough not to wash out the tube like some other brands do. I went from pv 3-12x50 to z6i 3-18x50. It was the right move in my mind

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! Ultimately I think I’d like to go onto a finer crosshair as well,(compared to what’s on the s&b) so maybe the IR would then come into its own. How do you find the 50 objective for light gathering? I’ve always had a 56mm.

Appreciate the reply! Ps, any idea what the actual difference is between the Z6 and Z8?

Edited by wildfowler.250

As above the 6 and 8 refer to the range of zoom.

I went for the z8i 2.3-18 with the a400i reticule. 

If the zoom doesn't seem important then go for something in the z6 range. 

The illuminated ret is a very handy feature and although I rarely use it I know the option is there. I think not having it would have always left me wondering if it would have meant that buck that I couldn't take because the cross hair was just too difficult to make out might have been "the" buck.

For me the z8 is the best scope I have looked through, possibly because I have seen it in more situations than other scope that I might try to compare it to. But, and it's possibly a big but, I have never found it the easiest to look through. 

Sounds odd maybe but I guess many will understand what I mean. It just seems a bit fussy. 

My 8x56s seem to be very natural. Head drops to stock and sight picture is instantly there (and clear).

With the z8 I always seem to have to reposition or refocus. It's just not as easy. Maybe that's just me being odd.

When I do get there the clarity, range of mag, reticule and fantastic illumination are as good as I have ever owned if not seen.

"Buy the best scope you can afford and the rifle with the change"....

Easy to say but how to decide which is the best is another matter.

Doubt that helps. Lol

Edd

21 hours ago, eddoakley said:

As above the 6 and 8 refer to the range of zoom.

I went for the z8i 2.3-18 with the a400i reticule. 

If the zoom doesn't seem important then go for something in the z6 range. 

The illuminated ret is a very handy feature and although I rarely use it I know the option is there. I think not having it would have always left me wondering if it would have meant that buck that I couldn't take because the cross hair was just too difficult to make out might have been "the" buck.

For me the z8 is the best scope I have looked through, possibly because I have seen it in more situations than other scope that I might try to compare it to. But, and it's possibly a big but, I have never found it the easiest to look through. 

Sounds odd maybe but I guess many will understand what I mean. It just seems a bit fussy. 

My 8x56s seem to be very natural. Head drops to stock and sight picture is instantly there (and clear).

With the z8 I always seem to have to reposition or refocus. It's just not as easy. Maybe that's just me being odd.

When I do get there the clarity, range of mag, reticule and fantastic illumination are as good as I have ever owned if not seen.

"Buy the best scope you can afford and the rifle with the change"....

Easy to say but how to decide which is the best is another matter.

Doubt that helps. Lol

Edd

The issue of not having a exact sight picture instantly was exactly why I chopped my Z6i in for a Zeiss V8. Light years of difference In the eye box.