Barley stubble session

Wilksy II

FAF49A90-004F-4094-8D71-ABEB92A8056C.jpeg

Its been a thin pickings for me all harvest but that’s not stopped me looking and having a go, I’ve been content with small bags to be honest as I haven’t really got a port for big bags, anyway I spied a good few on some week and bit old barley stubble Monday, So I hoped to still see them there tues.

i got to field for 11:30 and yes they were about but scattered over three fields, and some old wheat stubble, so picking a spot was tricky, you can have too much choice, I set up on a tree line with a stiff westerly wind on my back, no dead birds so just 20 shells scattered randomly in front, first bird came smashing and when straight on the flapper, the next two, eventually  on the magnet, things had been slow and birds were not decoying well but the magnet changed that, and as the pattern grew they really switched on I packed up a 5pm with exactly 50 on the clicker but picked  48, one of which my border Jed picked so all told a very enjoyable day, thanks for reading

Edited by Wilksy II

Cheers fuddster, yes going for a look tomorrow at some bean stubble,

i suppose it is Stu, I hadn’t really thought of it, what I didn’t mention and you can’t see in the pic is there is a 15ft deep dry ditch between the hide and the trees, so the netting goes round the back, there is a jackdaw in the pic that flew over so he didn’t see me, I think it’s movement that gives you away more than anything 

4 minutes ago, welshgun said:

Well done wilksy a good day had by all accounts and must say I do like the border an underestimated terrier but not back in the day very rare you see a good border nowadays

Thanks welshgun, aye he’s a good lad, great company, I’ve tried a couple of times to take his picture with a pigeon in his chops but the little begger drops it!

18 minutes ago, marsh man said:

That's a good bag in anyone's book Wilksy and thanks for telling us how your day went , as for the hide , it looks perfectly fine to me , although your floater could have gone out a bit further :lol:

Thanks marsh man, that’s as good as I’ve ever done and I have say there’s a fair amount of young un’s amongst the bag which certainly don’t mind a square hide! Or a badly postioned floater! Haha!

5 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Nicley done .

Thats a very square hide .? 

Does it not put off pige ? 

I guess not. But i find  im not able to get a crow within 100 yds if my hide isnt very well blended into the hedge. 

Pigeons do not have reasoning power, so a square bush on the side of a field should not deter them. I do think that people can get very picky about hides. The main things to worry about is to hide the man inside and site it in the right place.

Good bag, Wilksy. Haven't seen you on here for a while. I thought maybe you had been kidnapped by Jdog!

7 hours ago, motty said:

Pigeons do not have reasoning power, so a square bush on the side of a field should not deter them. I do think that people can get very picky about hides. The main things to worry about is to hide the man inside and site it in the right place.

Good bag, Wilksy. Haven't seen you on here for a while. I thought maybe you had been kidnapped by Jdog!

Cheers Motty! Haha! Not yet but there is talk of meeting up, you’ve got me nervous now, to be honest I have been off PW a while it’s not quite the same as it used to be

Nice write up and a good bag. As said, I think too much emphasis is put on blending the hide into the background. Yours looks fine to me.

It's movement, or lack of it, that's most important. You obviously have the knack of keeping still until the last moment.

Someone (cannot remember who) once tried as an experiment, using the orange plastic fencing stuff as a hide with no apparent problems getting the pigeons to decoy. It's movement not colour they react to.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Nice write up and a good bag. As said, I think too much emphasis is put on blending the hide into the background. Yours looks fine to me.

It's movement, or lack of it, that's most important. You obviously have the knack of keeping still until the last moment.

Someone (cannot remember who) once tried as an experiment, using the orange plastic fencing stuff as a hide with no apparent problems getting the pigeons to decoy. It's movement not colour they react to.

OB

Thanks OB, I totally agree I’ve stood still under an ash tree no hide and shot pigeons, I must admit my ghost netting looks a bit shiny in that pic!

2 hours ago, aga man said:

Well shot Mr Wilks, that is a good result. I have a beard trim kit here if ever you need to borrow it!

Just saying like :lol:

Haha! Cheers mate!

I was thinking of dying it green for extra cover!

My question .was more about crows and their  seeming ability to recognise objects that look out of place .

Mate and i set up a pretty good hide hard up against a hedge with a lot of additional vegetation.. 

Crows would aproach across the field and then do a massive handbrake turn about 100 yds out. This happend about 5 times .so i got out and looked back at the hide .and the only thing i could see out of place was my mates blue jeans just visible through the ghost net .

Ps we were heads down and 100 % still .

Pige on the other hand landed no problem .

Crows can im my experience by very wary. 

Just saying 

That’s a nice bag this time of year, well done. :good:

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

My question .was more about crows and their  seeming ability to recognise objects that look out of place .

Mate and i set up a pretty good hide hard up against a hedge with a lot of additional vegetation.. 

Crows would aproach across the field and then do a massive handbrake turn about 100 yds out. This happend about 5 times .so i got out and looked back at the hide .and the only thing i could see out of place was my mates blue jeans just visible through the ghost net .

Ps we were heads down and 100 % still .

Pige on the other hand landed no problem .

Crows can im my experience by very wary. 

Just saying 

when black’uns are on high alert they can see you blink.

I have not got a ghost net but the ones I have seen on the net look see through?