Mechanic required Edinburgh area

Continental Shooter

Right guys,

Appreciate this is a bit of a long shot here but i need the sump changed on my Shogun sport in order to pass the MOT (apparently)

Quick Fit deem it as a massive oil leak and said they won't do the MOT or they will fail it and i won't be able to drive away;

I knew about this for 2 years: since the day the dealer quoted me £500+ labour to change it; so, I took it to my neighbor who does HGV repairs and he said there's nothing like a major leak; it just oil being squirted about but he can't help. FYI: the monster leak has me filling in oil once a year (normally at service stage) and no top ups (or a light one after 6 months for precaution).

Anyway, wanting the thing sorted and forgotten, i started looking for mechanics around my area and after 4 attempts none of them would take the job (sump, MOT, service + minor wiring issues + central locking fitting). Some just said plain NO, some said they will be on hols and it'll take them too much time... some just said they don't do Japanese cars....

I'm honestly not wanting to take the car to a completely unknown person as the car is sound and only has 98K miles on the clock ... besides, i found it extremely difficult to believe no one seems interested in getting paid to do some work.... i even offere to buy the sump from them (knowing that most likely will be a scrapyard one) ...

SO, question is: does anyone know of a trustworthy mechanic to take my shogun to?

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Jason_ox said:

If it’s only seepage get under there with some brake cleaner and rag and give it a clean it’ll prob go straight through. Take it to another MOT station I wouldn’t trust KF in any scenario. 

This.
Find someone to steam it off prior to its mot test if you dont fancy getting under it yourself.
Id also be sceptical of it being the sump, unless you can physically see it is , oil pressure switch ?

First thing to do is find out where the seepage originates from. Most proper mechanics could do that, even the "bloke round the corner who's been fixing your uncle Bill's Cortina for the last 25 years"

I've never heard of a leaking sump apart from ones on rally cars. Gasket, drain plug, oil filter, pressure switch are possibles or maybe something higher up, but unless the sump has been damaged by something like a boulder or tree stump it's not likely to need replacing.

Take your car to Newton Garage on the Wisp a small family business  I have been going there for many years they do my motorhome  my car and the wife's car. wouldn't go anywhere else have been ripped off to many times in the past and I trust them 100% speak to Craig or Graham (0131 669 6336)  newtongarage@ aol.com  I'm sure they will be able to help you with everything that needs to be done.