And Now John Lewis are Blaming Brexit for their Poor Profits

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

More concerned about the claims of 35% drop in House prices! 

Reckon it’s all propaganda on the chance of a second vote! 

It could happen, it has happened before within my property owning years, in the 1980s about 2 million homes were in negative equity, everybody just sat it out and it the situation healed itself. for most people anyway.

The big question is whether it has anything to do with Brexit or that just Carney stirring up problems?

House prices are a bit of a bubble because once prices start to drop nobody wants to buy. Prices have been dropping slowly in South Wales for the past few years, it becomes a Dutch Auction. Hold off and wait for another price drop or make a silly offer.

In America after the sub prime banking crisis some properties dropped by 75%!  Many areas have never recovered fully, I know somebody who is trying to sell a villa in Florida (Paradise Palms near Orlando, prime tourist area) and has had it on the market for a couple of years. Dropped the price etc a couple of times but absolutely no interest. Yet all around Orlando they are building like mad

In Detroit you can buy a house for $5 and that's probably overpriced

Now you can't say that's due to Brexit can you?

Edited by Vince Green

41 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

More concerned about the claims of 35% drop in House prices! 

Reckon it’s all propaganda on the chance of a second vote! 

House price is a function of interest rates (and hence repayment  affordability), if the worst happens and BOE rates end up at 10% mortgage repayments will jump correspondingly by 400% and market will choke causing a further decline.

Edited by Stonepark

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Carney can't have his cake and eat it, if house prices are to drop by a third perminatley because of Brexit, that means our house prices have been so high all these years putting huge pressure on everyone, particularly the young, because we've been a member of the EU.

That would be a valid argument, but nobody can say for sure. When Jacob Rees Mogg said it would be 50 years before anyone would know if Brexit was the right decision he was extensively misquoted by remainers, but he was right.

Only with the hindsight of history can these things be truly assessed and measured, even then opinions will differ. Brexit will be controversial for hundreds of years.

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

That would be a valid argument, but nobody can say for sure. When Jacob Rees Mogg said it would be 50 years before anyone would know if Brexit was the right decision he was extensively misquoted by remainers, but he was right.

Only with the hindsight of history can these things be truly assessed and measured, even then opinions will differ. Brexit will be controversial for hundreds of years.

Spot on, but the likes of Carney never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

8 hours ago, markm said:

I find this funny...  

Why don’t you brexiteer’s start walking the talk. Pay your parking fee, walk to the high street and spend your pound notes in local shops?

I still try to when I can but it gets harder. If you take Eastcote  where I grew up, within walking distance there was everything that you could reasonably want, shoe shops, a car shop, mens wear shops, green grocer's butchers bakers, stationery and cards, sports and bike shop (that sold shotgun cartridges and air pellets) etc. Today you can find virtually none of these shops there. several coffee shops and lots of food outlets, pound shops and charity shops but you cant buy a pair of shoes or a shirt, nor can you buy a gallon of oil and a set of spark plugs for a ford cortina. Don't even ask about shotgun cartridges and air pellets! .

The supermarkets and the big chains killed off the little shops and now they in turn have become too big to react to the fast moving pace of the internet. Its evolution. 

We love John Lewis, they're no more expensive than the next high end multi store such as Fenwicks, Barkers or Selfridges, they're all essentially a franchise for the well known brands with pretty much fixed pricing. A few months ago we looked high and low before eventually buying 3 separate settee's from them and this despite the fact I freely admit DFS are an excellent every day alternative, we also ended up buying our big screen TV from them because again they were good value. I'd be amazed if they go bust because they do so much so much better than their competitors. 

18 minutes ago, Hamster said:

We love John Lewis, they're no more expensive than the next high end multi store such as Fenwicks, Barkers or Selfridges, they're all essentially a franchise for the well known brands with pretty much fixed pricing. A few months ago we looked high and low before eventually buying 3 separate settee's from them and this despite the fact I freely admit DFS are an excellent every day alternative, we also ended up buying our big screen TV from them because again they were good value. I'd be amazed if they go bust because they do so much so much better than their competitors. 

I agree, we still buy high priced items from JL because their customer service is so much better.

Historically for the smaller food shops, a significant amount of women are now in employment and no longer have an hour a day to wait in queues to be served in different shops which hadn't really changed since WWII which due to rationing had simplified markets to lowest common denominator and the effects were still bring felt even as late as the mid eighties (when I can remember poor layouts, customers having to queue outside, limited ranges - you can have mild cheddar or edam (and edam was the treat), stock shortages etc).

Supermarkets brought back variety (but only lately have invested in localisation of products which is being forced by the entrance into the market of farm shops, delicatessens, and other small independent shops) and a welcoming and easy shopping experience. Compare how easy it is to maneuver a baby or children around a super market compared to traditional shops (given that women still do the majority of the food shopping). Culture has a lot to do with it, but providing an environment for your customer has a lot to do with it.

Now translate the advantages of being able to do 80% of shopping without even having to leave your house for those items that are repeatable or are known but also the fact that it is also  not unknown previously (i.e. you could in the old days get a weekly delivery of basic goods delivered or collected - sometimes by different mobile shops - sometimes combined delivery - especially where you had the financial wherewithal to afford this) - this is now available to 95% of the population with only needing to visit shop to obtain those items which are spur of the moment.

Carney is Canadian and a remainer he should have been replaced as soon as the vote result was released. The reason being we need a british brexatier to taulk it up and be positive not negative. Talk of 30% drop of house prices will slow the housing market imidiatly, a bit like Obarmer puting us back of queue made people mad and helped the leave vote

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

What Hamster says. 

I think house prices will fall. Don’t know by 30% though. To be honest does it matter? If you get 30% less for your house then the house you are going to buy will also be 30% less. 

45 minutes ago, AVB said:

What Hamster says. 

I think house prices will fall. Don’t know by 30% though. To be honest does it matter? If you get 30% less for your house then the house you are going to buy will also be 30% less. 

Not if your a recent buyer ( as in last few years) and you find yourself in negative territory as being in the Finance industry yourself, is not a position the Banks wish for.

As a result I can see lending criteria tightening up further and deposits percentages required increasing too, hitting existing mortgage holders and those wishing to get on the property ladder- FTB’s will find cheaper houses but still won’t be able to attain the required mortgage criteria!

Then there is the group who wish/need to move abroad either for work/own desire who find themselves with significantly less than they presently would for something that is a possible result of what was voted for by others ( maybe themselves too of course)!

Ask yourself this, what do you think the 30th of March 2019 will ‘Personally’ bring to you and also what prior to June 23rd 2016, how being a ‘Memeber’ actually affected you? This is never really brought up the wonderful PW Brexit posts....

Ps, what does being a remainder or breather have to do with being the Governor of the BoE? He has the Banks interests at heart and the Politicians make the decisions of running the Country. So why should he be sacked? He is employed to look at all scenarios and place them before the Committee, but what’s often reported is cherry picked to suit one side or others arguements.

Fact of the matter is,until Brexit actually happens, he is not in a position to say what the implications were/are and can only forecast possible implications or do you think everyone should be wearing the rose tinted spectacles and walk round with their fingers crossed and lucky rabbits foot in case the utopia fails to materialise?

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Spot on.

Oh the simplicities of it.......

27 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

No, but I also thinks they should not constantly broadcast Doom and disaster when they don't know.

Particularly when he knows, or should, that those predictions will cause the very issues he's predicted.

Also he is supposed to be impartial, for instance the bank of England would never comment on a general election, imagine Corbin getting in, that would be a bigger shock to the banking sector than brexit ever would be, yet he wouldn't comment on that, he is clearly biased and is trying to damage the economy, never mind him standing down, he should be jailed for treason.

35 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

No, but I also thinks they should not constantly broadcast Doom and disaster when they don't know.

But on the flip side why ‘big something up’ that’s also unknown? Nothing worse than asking for for an action man for Christmas and receiving a Barbie!!!!!

11 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Particularly when he knows, or should, that those predictions will cause the very issues he's predicted.

Also he is supposed to be impartial, for instance the bank of England would never comment on a general election, imagine Corbin getting in, that would be a bigger shock to the banking sector than brexit ever would be, yet he wouldn't comment on that, he is clearly biased and is trying to damage the economy, never mind him standing down, he should be jailed for treason.

Corbyn is an ‘event in progress’ so no need to project on that.

As for those predictions cause a ‘downturn’, obviously you must believe in the power of suggestion dear chap ( is he Paul McKenna in disguise), a downturn will occur as a result of the attractiveness of investments and returns gained from an unstable U.K. economy is what would do it.

On 15/09/2018 at 13:47, Jaymo said:

But on the flip side why ‘big something up’ that’s also unknown? Nothing worse than asking for for an action man for Christmas and receiving a Barbie!!!!!
If you are not certain of an outcome, you should remain silent, or give both sides of your theory.
When has he bigged leaving up ?
A man in his position has considerable influence on peoples perception, and can cause significant damage with his so far inaccurate projections of doom.

Corbyn is an ‘event in progress’ so no need to project on that.
Is Brexit not also an event in progress ?
Yet the voices of derision abouts its effects are far louder than its 'possible' benefits, and there is plenty of media coverage 'projecting' our downfall after next March.
Next time you watch the news, listen to the tone drop, and watch the facial features of the 'totally impartial' newsreader, when they mention something to do with Brexit.

As for those predictions cause a ‘downturn’, obviously you must believe in the power of suggestion dear chap ( is he Paul McKenna in disguise), a downturn will occur as a result of the attractiveness of investments and returns gained from an unstable U.K. economy is what would do it.

The economy is unstable NOW , because we have a cabinet who are fixated on a soft Brexit, we have heavily publicised statements from various bodies and individuals decrying how bad its going to be, and how the negotiations are going badly ect .
Your driving licence wont be valid, the planes wont fly, the supermarket shelves will be empty, and so on and on...
This fatalistic approach is causing loss of confidence, and costing the economy dear.
And all because certain people cannot let go of the hope that it can all be called off/reversed.
One last time, stop Brexit, and you might as well start stacking barrels of gunpowder under parliament, because it wont be fit for purpose for anything else.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

The economy is unstable NOW , because we have a cabinet who are fixated on a soft Brexit, we have heavily publicised statements from various bodies and individuals decrying how bad its going to be, and how the negotiations are going badly ect .
Your driving licence wont be valid, the planes wont fly, the supermarket shelves will be empty, and so on and on...
This fatalistic approach is causing loss of confidence, and costing the economy dear.
And all because certain people cannot let go of the hope that it can all be called off/reversed.
One last time, stop Brexit, and you might as well start stacking barrels of gunpowder under parliament, because it wont be fit for purpose for anything else.

Absolutely spot on.