Getting started

Stephen-H

Evening all looking at getting into pigeon shooting so will be starting to slowly buy all the equipment over time ive just taken delivery of two Dj decoy terminator pigeon bouncers & will hopefully be picking up some half shell decoys at the south yorkshire shooting show at the end of this month.  Can anyone recommend a good hide net with poles etc & drum seat to get started with? & anything else i might need? 

Cheers steve 

1 hour ago, B725 said:

A couple of Dennys dippers for your decoys light and easy use and adds movement especially when there's no wind 

Not a slight on Denny's creations, but I certainly wouldn't bother with them as a beginner. A few well placed decoys is all that is really required for starters.

2 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Evening all looking at getting into pigeon shooting so will be starting to slowly buy all the equipment over time ive just taken delivery of two Dj decoy terminator pigeon bouncers & will hopefully be picking up some half shell decoys at the south yorkshire shooting show at the end of this month.  Can anyone recommend a good hide net with poles etc & drum seat to get started with? & anything else i might need? 

Cheers steve 

The most basic item you will need first is somewhere to shoot pigeons in the first place , trusting you are a club member or you have already got a permission then if I was you I would keep an eye on the ( other sales ) on the forum as there are people down sizing or packing the game in all the while and you will often find decoys ect going cheap , failing that , in most counties there are sporting sales at a lot of auction houses where you will find a lot of unwanted pigeon shooting gear .

We have got one next week where you would have found most of what you wanted , I know that because I am putting in some stuff I bought as a job lot and a lot of the gear I already had .

Have a look on google at Horners sporting auction at Acle near Great Yarmouth , Norfolk, a good place to buy a cheap gun as well , you can put a postal bid in but the postage would be pretty high

Are you based in the Yorkshire area ?.

GOOD LUCK with your search .

As already stated first find your pigeon, then obtain permission, then watch the field and set up where the pigeon want to be, six half shells basic hide, stand not sit so you will be ready  for the birds. When you have shot six out of the hide and set them up as decoys on spikes.when multiple birds come in concentrate on one bird and hit then look for another if possible.good luck.

14 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Cheers steve 

Best advice i can give you is fill in your profile someone on hear may be local to you and have all the knowledge you need.

14 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Cheers steve 

hello, i would add put this book down on your shopping list, new or second hand, does not have the up to date gear but you will learn a good basic understanding of pigeon shooting, oh the book is PIGEON SHOOTING BY ARCHIE COATS,   

15 hours ago, marsh man said:

The most basic item you will need first is somewhere to shoot pigeons in the first place , trusting you are a club member or you have already got a permission then if I was you I would keep an eye on the ( other sales ) on the forum as there are people down sizing or packing the game in all the while and you will often find decoys ect going cheap , failing that , in most counties there are sporting sales at a lot of auction houses where you will find a lot of unwanted pigeon shooting gear .

We have got one next week where you would have found most of what you wanted , I know that because I am putting in some stuff I bought as a job lot and a lot of the gear I already had .

Have a look on google at Horners sporting auction at Acle near Great Yarmouth , Norfolk, a good place to buy a cheap gun as well , you can put a postal bid in but the postage would be pretty high

Are you based in the Yorkshire area ?.

GOOD LUCK with your search .

Ive had some business cards knocked up with crop protection a picture of myself with the birds i had shot from my last outing with a friend who has a permission my name contact details stated im basc insured and offer the service for free plan to get some laminated and tape them to the gate to the field i see plenty of birds on & also go around on the knock farm to farm in the winter months when the drillings go in. Im from Stockport ( south manchester) but the peak district is only a 30 minute drive away from where i live & cheshire isnt to far away either . Thanks for the advice i will keep a eye on the for sale sections 

4 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Best advice i can give you is fill in your profile someone on hear may be local to you and have all the knowledge you need.

Cheers will update it now fingers crossed! 

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would add put this book down on your shopping list, new or second hand, does not have the up to date gear but you will learn a good basic understanding of pigeon shooting, oh the book is PIGEON SHOOTING BY ARCHIE COATS,   

Ive a book from a chap called Richard Arnold on pigeon shooting ive read it a few times and taken some good points from it . I will get the book by Archie Coats also as ive read of him being refereed to as the GODFATHER of pigeon shooting also seen a few old video snippets on youtube of him and another chap he had taken out pigeon shooting
cheers 

You are heading in the right direction by having cards printed but rather than pinning them on the posts leading onto the field I would find out whose field it is and go and have a word with the owner.

To save a lot of wasted time you will need to learn what crops pigeons will be feeding on at certain times of the year and also what the different crops look like , last thing you want to do is to go and ask farmer x if you can shoot pigeons on his Peas and he haven't got any Peas only what you thought were Peas were in fact Beans , same with wheat and barley , easy to make a mistake but by getting it right you will give the farmer the impression you know what you talking about .

If you have got any game shoots near by you will not get onto there land this time of the year , so it wont do any harm to ask around who the head keeper is or the shoot captain and offer your services to go beating , once you go on a few shoot days, they could well be the start of putting the first foot on the ladder in gaining some pigeon shooting on the shoots crops when the season is over, and then possibly some roost shooting .

As they say , the more you put in it ,the more you will get out of it,     

42 minutes ago, marsh man said:

You are heading in the right direction by having cards printed but rather than pinning them on the posts leading onto the field I would find out whose field it is and go and have a word with the owner.

To save a lot of wasted time you will need to learn what crops pigeons will be feeding on at certain times of the year and also what the different crops look like , last thing you want to do is to go and ask farmer x if you can shoot pigeons on his Peas and he haven't got any Peas only what you thought were Peas were in fact Beans , same with wheat and barley , easy to make a mistake but by getting it right you will give the farmer the impression you know what you talking about .

If you have got any game shoots near by you will not get onto there land this time of the year , so it wont do any harm to ask around who the head keeper is or the shoot captain and offer your services to go beating , once you go on a few shoot days, they could well be the start of putting the first foot on the ladder in gaining some pigeon shooting on the shoots crops when the season is over, and then possibly some roost shooting .

As they say , the more you put in it ,the more you will get out of it,     

Very true marsh man ive scouted a few fields out already one had around 80+ pigeon on the stubble but its got a public footpath right along the side of it typical! Theres another farm i might try tomorrow its been plowed now but a couple weeks back it had a fair few pigeons and corvids on it so fingers crossed . Where i live its a lot of pasture land for sheep & cows mainly there's the odd field as you head out to Cheshire way with crops on it. Im going to ask around my local clay grounds as well for people doing pheasant shoots etc try to get the gamekeepers number & enquire if they need a hand with beaters / pickers