They Are Returning

6.5x55SE

This evening i had to be in Norfolk so took the opportunity to have a shot at a Goose. Whilst waiting for the Greylag to lift and flight back to roost Conor was insistent he could hear Pink's nar to early say's i 12th to 18th depending on Moon etc But the earliest I'd shot Pink's was the 8th his reply was it's the 13th AND Look Listen those 9 Geese are Pink's oh to have 17 yr old eyes and ears 100% Pink's dropped straight into 300-400 Greylag game on. Instructing Don't shoot the first Geese let them go in peace wait for a Pink as he'd never shot a September Pink one skein wide then four straight over 30-35yrd up. Fair play Conor held fire Skeins now was everywhere when the sound he had waited for could be heard in the gloom a mass of Geese probably 80-100 was going to pass Conor's left but in range .

Telling Conor " Take Em " two quick shots saw two black shapes fold then thump down on Marshy grass Conor was off with the two Dogs as i walked towards him i was met with " there Grey's " but how they was Pink's. As the calling of Pink's fadded as they went out to sea unfortunately for Conor a small lot of silent Grey's was tagged along with the Pink's as we stood at the truck another unseen bunch of Pink's went to roost so it's  now game on for sure First one to the Pink's but a Happy Young shooter traveled home talking of past successes and i can't wait for the Moon

Edited by 6.5x55SE

I also heard reports of Pinks been sighted around the beginning of the season , I sometimes take this with a pinch of salt with the large amount of young Greys about , but one of the reports was from a well known bird watcher who certainly know one goose from the other and if he says he have seem early Pinks in the Broadland area them it could well be right.

Coming home along the coast road from the Sandringham fair last Sunday we passed the flooded marshes that are run by the N W T at Cley , the light wasn't that good and with driving along the narrow road I couldn't say for sure what the geese were on the marshes and the skeins flying along the sea banks  but there were 100s of them and some of them could well have been Pinks .

5 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

As I suspected .. the claim that you'd given up Wildfowling was FAKE NEWS :lol:

Keep going ... you've a lot to give :good:

It was genuine at the time mate I'd had enough of back stabbing etc close season supporting wife/family and a very keen Grandson rise above the rubbish.

So a Big thanks for your kind comments Steve 👍

6 hours ago, motty said:

I too am yet to shoot a pink in September. I have shot them in all of the other months. I would like to shoot one in the next couple of weeks. That first Whitefront is also on the list for this season.

Often worth a look early on the opposite end of the Marsh where you normally shoot. I've shot several in September a allbeit the other side of the River 🤫 As for a Speck pray for very cold weather over the water or try the Inland floodwater at W around Christmas/New Year always a odd Skien there. If i get any feeding regular Conor and Wayne names are on them

34 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Often worth a look early on the opposite end of the Marsh where you normally shoot. I've shot several in September a allbeit the other side of the River 🤫 As for a Speck pray for very cold weather over the water or try the Inland floodwater at W around Christmas/New Year always a odd Skien there. If i get any feeding regular Conor and Wayne names are on them

Nice one, Boyd!

Very good movement of pinks in East Scotland. I was out at Dunbar this morn and counted in excess of 20 skeins ranging from 6 to high double figures. All very high and heading south, the call was only good to get them over my direction for a few pics. Just now I. Edinburgh I can see a few skeins in the air heading over the pentlands hills. Never got a shot at anything I hope some very tired good would be tempted by the call...but it wasn't to be

On 14/09/2018 at 15:10, 6.5x55SE said:

It was genuine at the time mate I'd had enough of back stabbing etc close season supporting wife/family and a very keen Grandson rise above the rubbish.

So a Big thanks for your kind comments Steve 👍

Boyd keep at it mate I love reading of your exploits. There are a lot of back stabbers around but it's mostly because they are jealous of what u bag. Round my way I get slagged off because of the amount of flights I do but sod um I will keep on doing what I do because it's what makes me tick. I guess that whitefront will elude me even more now I've heard there putting a blanket ban on shooting um north of the humber

14 hours ago, m greeny said:

Boyd keep at it mate I love reading of your exploits. There are a lot of back stabbers around but it's mostly because they are jealous of what u bag. Round my way I get slagged off because of the amount of flights I do but sod um I will keep on doing what I do because it's what makes me tick. I guess that whitefront will elude me even more now I've heard there putting a blanket ban on shooting um north of the humber

Thanks mate 👍 Yes you are right to many suffer from the " Green Eyed Monster syndrome " Have a good successful season.

8 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

Talking to one of the most respected goose guides in Scotland yesterday and he said that the where in and more ariving every day !

I knew you couldn't pack it in Boyd! say hi to Shelley andConor ,atb mate Tony

I will thanks Tony and ATB to yourself 👍