SHORT SCOPE TO USE WITH A REAR ADD ON ?????? LESS THAN 14 inches ????

oldypigeonpopper

hello, as above, when the clocks change and its dark around 4 i am thinking to set up my night shooting to include getting a bespoke ADD ON made, rifle is a 22 CZ 455 and with a Hawke rimfire scope, this scope is 14 inches long and will be a bit to long although i shall try setting it forward on the rail, MY Question, is there a scope suitable i can buy that is shorter say 40/50mm front lens 3x9 4x12 magnification and not to expensive, this will be be my set up until the spring 2019,

There are ‘scout scopes’ but I doubt you’d be lucky to find one with side focus that works well with a NV addon. 

Youd be better off mounting much further forward. 

Did you say you already have a rail? Piccany rail? Get it as far forward as you can. Although you then may struggle to use easily without the NV. 

37 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

There are ‘scout scopes’ but I doubt you’d be lucky to find one with side focus that works well with a NV addon. 

Youd be better off mounting much further forward. 

Did you say you already have a rail? Piccany rail? Get it as far forward as you can. Although you then may struggle to use easily without the NV. 

hello Lloyd, i do not need a side focus scope as it is a DIY type add on, well i do not think so or the chap going to make never mentioned, i shall try my hawke rimfire scope as forward as possable and see how it goes, just placed the order for the ADD ON, i will only use after daylight so will not be in daylight, cheers will check out scout scopes anyway.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

30 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello Lloyd, i do not need a side focus scope as it is a DIY type add on, well i do not think so or the chap going to make never mentioned, i shall try my hawke rimfire scope as forward as possable and see how it goes, just placed the order for the ADD ON, i will only use after daylight so will not be in daylight, cheers will check out scout scopes anyway.

You usually find that side focus is of great benefit to an add on, camera type set up.
Is the add on a 'near eye' jobby , or does it have a big screen ?
That addonight we mentioned the other day is perfectly useable without moving my scopes from their normal position, because you have to have your eye right up to the screen.
If its uncomfortable , you may only have to move it an inch .

40 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Without either front AO or Side Focus (side focus easier to adjust in the field) would might struggle to get a good picture and the imagine will be really grainy or not visible 

39 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

Or simply get a push on stock extender. Thet go over the butt pad with different inserts to give you that better eye relief. If you are not using it in the day why go for a add on and not a dedicated scope?

I did this, and fitted a shaped 2" piece of wood inside the sleeve before putting it on the stock. It worked well too.

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You usually find that side focus is of great benefit to an add on, camera type set up.
Is the add on a 'near eye' jobby , or does it have a big screen ?
That addonight we mentioned the other day is perfectly useable without moving my scopes from their normal position, because you have to have your eye right up to the screen.
If its uncomfortable , you may only have to move it an inch .

hello, you maybe right but i will still try my hawke rimfire, its a tube type rear scope add on, with a good screen but not seperate, i decided not to go for this new jobby as not interested in recording etc, and cannot justify that money, this one is switch on and go, i still have my photons x 2 , it was more for eye sight i decided to try.  

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

Or simply get a push on stock extender. Thet go over the butt pad with different inserts to give you that better eye relief. If you are not using it in the day why go for a add on and not a dedicated scope?

hello, i have a rubber slip on excuse to pun:lol: just need to pack out a bit more and tape on,

8 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

hello, i am having one made to go on rear of scope, not the usual with seperate screen mine is going on the box so you just look at this same like normal scope, comes with wall charger as a proper lithi battery and not the 10865s, also car charger,  will upgrade my TR38 with an AS pil

On 14/09/2018 at 22:58, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am having one made to go on rear of scope, not the usual with seperate screen mine is going on the box so you just look at this same like normal scope, comes with wall charger as a proper lithi battery and not the 10865s, also car charger,  will upgrade my TR38 with an AS pil

hello, will look out for a S/F scope as per recommended. 

On 14/09/2018 at 08:38, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as above, when the clocks change and its dark around 4 i am thinking to set up my night shooting to include getting a bespoke ADD ON made, rifle is a 22 CZ 455 and with a Hawke rimfire scope, this scope is 14 inches long and will be a bit to long although i shall try setting it forward on the rail, MY Question, is there a scope suitable i can buy that is shorter say 40/50mm front lens 3x9 4x12 magnification and not to expensive, this will be be my set up until the spring 2019,

hello, just to up date, now waiting for my add on to arrive today and now have a Hawke S/F scope to complete this night shooting kit for my 455 L/R. the add on has been made different to the usual screen fixed to scope, just hope it all fits ok. cheers