Flying with spent cases in hold luggage

mick miller

Does anyone know, definitively, if there are restrictions on flying with spent cases in the hold luggage, travelling from the US to UK? 

I'm not looking for 'perceived' problems, rather if there are any genuine problems with doing so. 

Myself and my wife got to shoot some stuff in Las Vegas and I'd like to bring the cases home as souvenirs, hold luggage only, not in hand luggage for obvious scanner related reasons. 

Edited by mick miller

As an aside, I managed to get into parliament with spent cases in my rucksack which I presume were not seen as there were other items in there which may have masked them. I only realised I had them when I went for lunch and found them and as there weren`t any bins near there I had to leg it to the river and hurl them in before going back after lunch

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/liquids-and-restrictions

Scroll down to  the relevant part.
Although it doesnt mention spent cases, chady with his airsoft SIG would have some issues unless he informed them.

The US has extra restrictions on certain firearms and firearm accessories coming out of the country.
Getting spent cases into the UK shouldnt be an issue, but getting them out COULD be, if you dont tell them, and they show up on an xray.

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

Why. They are not a restricted or prohibited item,  anyone can possess them. After all, they are only a formed brass cylinder.

Yes they are a formed brass cylinder, (which were filled with gunpowder) all luggage is checked with a sniffer dog, now do you think is it worth asking the airline first ? 

Edited by blackbird

No issues with brass or separate projectiles.

Done it dozens of times.

If you read BA (and several other airline) T&C's you don't even have to declare ammunition in manufacturers boxes - only firearms AND ammunition. BA text attached. Separate ammunition is not listed and should you try to declare it they create havoc asking where is the firearm and trying to charge you £125 for "special handling".

More importantly (cos they are handling the baggage) TSA are not interested in ammunition in checked in cases (google it) only firearms. However, I do put a copy of my UK FAC and a note saying what's in the case, who I am and where I am should I need to be contacted before the flight.

BA Firearms and ammunition.pdf

Edited by Eyefor

The trouble with the US ITAR regulations is that they are not that precisely worded. Any American official is likely to refer any doubt upstairs for a decision because they are like that. That could mean you missing your flight waiting for that decision and at the very least it would mean you getting a full search . They won't care their attitude is they were just doing their job.

Don't ever under estimate American Officialdom. Personally I wouldn't do it, I don't think its illegal and the chances of getting caught out is pretty low but there is a risk  

Edited by Vince Green

5 hours ago, henry d said:

As an aside, I managed to get into parliament with spent cases in my rucksack which I presume were not seen as there were other items in there which may have masked them. I only realised I had them when I went for lunch and found them and as there weren`t any bins near there I had to leg it to the river and hurl them in before going back after lunch

Wasn’t gonna comment but.... why on earth would you throw them in the river? I know it’s not the cleanest but don’t add to it.

4 minutes ago, Swinton said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/border-force

i would email these and ask them .then you get it straight from the horses mouth .not second hand .i asked them a question and got the right answer 

The problem is not this end its the American restrictions on the export of anything that could be of use to a terrorist

41 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The trouble with the US ITAR regulations is that they are not that precisely worded. Any American official is likely to refer any doubt upstairs for a decision because they are like that. That could mean you missing your flight waiting for that decision and at the very least it would mean you getting a full search . They won't care their attitude is they were just doing their job.

Don't ever under estimate American Officialdom. Personally I wouldn't do it, I don't think its illegal and the chances of getting caught out is pretty low but there is a risk  

Sorry, where is the "risk" if it is "not illegal".

I have personal emails from Homeland Security, a printout of the TSA restricted items, a copy of BA rules and written clearance from TSA confirming what is, and (more importantly) what is not OK

My recently expired UK passport had 41 US visitor stamps on it for the past 10 years. Between me and the kids we own three properties in the US and I work there - am I going to put that "at risk"? NO.

Many opinions on are here are way short of the facts.

19 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Sorry, where is the "risk" if it is "not illegal".

I have personal emails from Homeland Security, a printout of the TSA restricted items, a copy of BA rules and written clearance from TSA confirming what is, and (more importantly) what is not OK

My recently expired UK passport had 41 US visitor stamps on it for the past 10 years. Between me and the kids we own three properties in the US and I work there - am I going to put that "at risk"? NO.

Many opinions on are here are way short of the facts.

The risk is that the man or woman on the desk almost certainly doesn't know as much as you do and will take as much time as they need to check it out . I too travel regularly to the US and I wouldn't risk it. You will be allowed through eventually but could miss your flight. They don't mess about over there, its their way or no way.

The International Ammunition Assn which holds its big convention and collectors fair SLICS in St Louis every year now advises international visitors not to try to take anything out of the US not even inert ammo or  components

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The risk is that the man or woman on the desk almost certainly doesn't know as much as you do and will take as much time as they need to check it out . I too travel regularly to the US and I wouldn't risk it. You will be allowed through eventually but could miss your flight. They don't mess about over there, its their way or no way.

The International Ammunition Assn which holds its big convention and collectors fair SLICS in St Louis every year now advises international visitors not to try to take anything out of the US not even inert ammo or  components

BREAKING NEWS

IAA OVERRIDES TSA, HOMELAND SECURITY AND IATA

I will again be in to Houston and out of Washington in the next month. If I'm wrong please send food parcels to Eyefor c/o Guantanamo Bay.

Yawn...

Good night.