Ford Fiesta Eco Boost

Salop Matt

Not driven a Fiesta Ecoboost, but I'd be wary of VW after the emissions scandal - and more to the point how they dealt with it. (Flat out denial, no responsibility, minimum warranty for affected cars in the UK, contributing as little as possible to failed components - or not at all where car owner isn't wise to the scanal etc. Whereas in the US affected cars were bought back at full price I think by VW)

I have the Fiesta 1.0 Eco boost. It has a three cylinder turbo engine and it is a brilliant little car. I had a 1.4 Fiesta before and was worried about going down to the smaller engine. When I took it for a test drive I was shocked haw well it went. Ford put the same engine in the focus so must be good. Wife had a Vw polo and was not a patch on the Fiesta

Used to drive them a lot about 3-6years ago (used to drive for hertz) 1ltr 3 cylinder 110+bhp! You'd think it was a joke car being a poxy 3 cylinder but they go like stabbed rats, fuel was OK (never more than 45mpg) and they handled lovely. Nice and tidy inside, apart from ford's crappy carpet that frays to high hell after about 4th hover. Then it looks tacky and holds grass like velcro. 

My issue is, can a little engine take the prolonged abuse? I doubt it. I'm pretty sure they put that engine in a mondeo we had in too. Went ok, but fuel was about 30mpg. 

Honestly IMHO out of all the small cars I used to drive and the ones we took to the garage the least it was fabias. Not everybody's cup of tea but a cracking car I've recommended to friends and some still have years on. 

On 14/09/2018 at 19:48, pegasus bridge said:

Is the eco boost the 1.0 engine?  My sister brought one in the c-max, and the fuel economy is dire , 33mpg! Gutless as hell at motorway speeds, she thinks the salesman promised her 50-60mpg!!

Looked at the 123bhp focus 1.0 ecoboost and has exactly the same thing. 

On the test drive the salesman tried to say it was cause 3 of us were in the car 😂 

done the sensible thing after that and brought a diesel golf. 

My missus has a 1.2 polo tsi and I've had well into the high 50's mpg wise, cracking little motor. 

The small turbo screamers can achieve excellent fuel consumption but only under very limited driving conditions. My son's partner has a 3 cylinder 1.0 litre Astra which does mostly local journeys and gets barely 40 mpg simply because it's hardly ever driven at 56mph along level roads. My Mazda 3 with the 2 litre non turbo Skyactiv-G petrol has a rolling long term average of 48 mpg and can easily return 55 mpg on cross country runs.

I have the 2014 1.6 petrol ecoboost focus 181bhp, great on motorway, reliable and plenty of kit for the money:
usb, BT, front & rear parking sensors, auto park etc.
Honestly a fantastic car for the money & parts are super cheap.

Great car but I am getting rid as its too small.  Now collecting a 1997 land rover defender 110. I must be mad!

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2018 at 19:56, Stimo22 said:

I have the Fiesta 1.0 Eco boost. It has a three cylinder turbo engine and it is a brilliant little car. I had a 1.4 Fiesta before and was worried about going down to the smaller engine. When I took it for a test drive I was shocked haw well it went. Ford put the same engine in the focus so must be good. Wife had a Vw polo and was not a patch on the Fiesta

My wife has a fiesta 1.0 Eco Boost, it only does about 3k miles a year, we get about 45mpg out if it, which I think is pretty reasonable and better than the diesel megane we had. Drives and goes well, the 3 cyclinder engine drives more like a diesel than a petrol engine.

It's on a PCP deal for 4k miles a year £130 per month. When that deal runs out in Feb we'll be getting another one.

We are still looking. What is noticeable is the poor condition cars are in generally, can no one look after anything.😨 

The Mrs drives 4 mile journeys 4 times a day. It's a killer for a diesel and our diesel golf isn't remotely warmed up in this short distance and rarely will she exceed 45mph. 

Am just anti: Peugeot, Citroen, Fiat and Vauxhall. Hate them all. 

So a petrol with 110bhp min is what we want and also the car must take our dog box for our dogs. 

ATB 

Matt

It's never easy picking out a car to suit but I'm anti most European cars, all the ones you list and also Fords. They are all sold at rip off prices and even now after 60 years of trying they don't compare well with Japanese built cars for reliability, build quality and durability. And modern Japanese cars are just as good and in some cases better to drive. But then I run up a fair mileage. If you're buying new on a PCP and update every 3 then non of the above applies and you just buy what the wife likes.

On 14/09/2018 at 19:48, pegasus bridge said:

Is the eco boost the 1.0 engine?  My sister brought one in the c-max, and the fuel economy is dire , 33mpg! Gutless as hell at motorway speeds, she thinks the salesman promised her 50-60mpg!!

+1 on fuel economy. Slightly different as i had a new 13 plate 1.6 Eco Boost 180 bhp sport Focus. The dealer was adamant it would better my 1.9 CDTI Vectra, which did an average 47 mpg. Couldn't give it much welly on the test drive due to type of roads. They refused to allow me to take it out alone. Which i thought strange as BMW gave me a motor for the day.?? Anyhow, after i'd had it a month, I found it to be gutless and very thirsty! I ran it very conservatively to see what the best mpg was. I got between 32 to 33 mpg. I got sick of this and took it back to be checked. The technician did a diagnostic check and a test drive. The result being, I was told the car was fine and the best mpg he could get was "34 if driven very conservatively". (His words). The manager was of the opinion that the mpg was "only a guide" and therefore that was that. I pointed out that a large UK Ford Forum showed that many customers had complained of poor fuel economy on the new eco boost engines. He just shrugged his shoulders. I got rid of it after 6 months. Should of done my research before and not after.....

Having said all that, it was nice to drive, and i would imagine the 1.0 litre Fiesta would be a nice little car for town driving. I also love the shape of the new Fiesta.

On 27/09/2018 at 13:06, shalfordninja33 said:

My wife has a fiesta 1.0 Eco Boost, it only does about 3k miles a year, we get about 45mpg out if it, which I think is pretty reasonable and better than the diesel megane we had. Drives and goes well, the 3 cyclinder engine drives more like a diesel than a petrol engine.

It's on a PCP deal for 4k miles a year £130 per month. When that deal runs out in Feb we'll be getting another one.

Just checked and it’s near it’s mileage limit. Mot is due in December and it will need new front tyres and brake discs/pads. 

Spoke to the garage we got it from and they have a 65 plate ecoboost titanium with half the miles in the clock for the same monthly payment. 

Will take a look at the weekend and hopefully change it. 

6 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

The ecoboost engine has problems it seems? Ford have offered to pay owners of cars with ecoboost engines that fail......they don't do that for no reason!

I heard that it was a BBC report that has pushed them into it? 

The lawsuit has been running for some time. This engine, like it's Vauxhall counterpart was designed to legally fiddle the mpg and emissions tests and fool car buyers into believing a fairy tale about running costs.

Thousands of people buy a Ford simply because it's got a Ford badge and they feel "safe" choosing it. It's been that way for many, many years and the fact that Top Gear staff go weak at the knees and switch their brains off every time they see a Ford only serves to reinforce that belief.

What this lawsuit demonstrates is that prospective buyers would do well to do their homework before rushing off to the Ford dealer. Cars are no different from any other consumer product in that there are always alternative choices. I bought my first Ford in 1970 and over the next 28 years owned numerous others, but since the last one was replaced in 1998 I've stuck with Japanese cars and only 2 those ever gave any bother, one being assembled in Tyne & Wear (Nissan - windows, locks, wipers, leaks) and the other used Ford a supplied platform and running gear (Mazda - MAF, gear selector, discs every 20K miles, suspension bushes, broken spring). Incidentally, prior to having the Ford stuff forced on them, Mazda were always in the top 5 makes for reliability but thanks to Ford kit they slipped about 20 places. The faults I experienced on a 2008 Mazda 3 surprisingly did not include the rear top suspension mount breaking, a common fault that plagues several Ford models including the Kuga, allegedly an off road capable car...