salop sniper

Ford Fiesta Eco Boost

Folks does anyone have one? The wife really wants one now that our (her) motor needs replacing.

We went and looked at a VW Polo as I am a die hard VW fan, but I have to admit that VW failed to impress !

TIA

Matt

Not driven a Fiesta Ecoboost, but I'd be wary of VW after the emissions scandal - and more to the point how they dealt with it. (Flat out denial, no responsibility, minimum warranty for affected cars in the UK, contributing as little as possible to failed components - or not at all where car owner isn't wise to the scanal etc. Whereas in the US affected cars were bought back at full price I think by VW)

They love Fiestas over at Top Gear although I find Fords generally to be a bit blingy. My only real concern with Fords and the reason I wouldn't have one is durability, especially the suspension. They do seem to start costing money at around the 80K miles mark.

Is the eco boost the 1.0 engine?  My sister brought one in the c-max, and the fuel economy is dire , 33mpg! Gutless as hell at motorway speeds, she thinks the salesman promised her 50-60mpg!!

I have the Fiesta 1.0 Eco boost. It has a three cylinder turbo engine and it is a brilliant little car. I had a 1.4 Fiesta before and was worried about going down to the smaller engine. When I took it for a test drive I was shocked haw well it went. Ford put the same engine in the focus so must be good. Wife had a Vw polo and was not a patch on the Fiesta

My Son had the Focus version. The fuel economy was terrible and there's an inherent problem with a water pipe on top of the engine that Ford wont admit to.

Cost him about £600 to sort out. He's got rid now and bought a 1500 cc Mazda 2 that he's happy with. 

My son had a couple of Fiesta’s with the ecoboost engine. t’s a great engine. Has won a number of awards. 

Used to drive them a lot about 3-6years ago (used to drive for hertz) 1ltr 3 cylinder 110+bhp! You'd think it was a joke car being a poxy 3 cylinder but they go like stabbed rats, fuel was OK (never more than 45mpg) and they handled lovely. Nice and tidy inside, apart from ford's crappy carpet that frays to high hell after about 4th hover. Then it looks tacky and holds grass like velcro. 

My issue is, can a little engine take the prolonged abuse? I doubt it. I'm pretty sure they put that engine in a mondeo we had in too. Went ok, but fuel was about 30mpg. 

Honestly IMHO out of all the small cars I used to drive and the ones we took to the garage the least it was fabias. Not everybody's cup of tea but a cracking car I've recommended to friends and some still have years on. 

On 14/09/2018 at 19:48, pegasus bridge said:

Is the eco boost the 1.0 engine?  My sister brought one in the c-max, and the fuel economy is dire , 33mpg! Gutless as hell at motorway speeds, she thinks the salesman promised her 50-60mpg!!

Looked at the 123bhp focus 1.0 ecoboost and has exactly the same thing. 

On the test drive the salesman tried to say it was cause 3 of us were in the car 😂 

done the sensible thing after that and brought a diesel golf. 

My missus has a 1.2 polo tsi and I've had well into the high 50's mpg wise, cracking little motor. 

The small turbo screamers can achieve excellent fuel consumption but only under very limited driving conditions. My son's partner has a 3 cylinder 1.0 litre Astra which does mostly local journeys and gets barely 40 mpg simply because it's hardly ever driven at 56mph along level roads. My Mazda 3 with the 2 litre non turbo Skyactiv-G petrol has a rolling long term average of 48 mpg and can easily return 55 mpg on cross country runs.

I have the 2014 1.6 petrol ecoboost focus 181bhp, great on motorway, reliable and plenty of kit for the money:
    usb, BT, front & rear parking sensors, auto park etc.
    Honestly a fantastic car for the money & parts are super cheap.

Great car but I am getting rid as its too small.  Now collecting a 1997 land rover defender 110. I must be mad!