VPN providers

Bobba

I use PureVPN, it's not bad and when I've had any issues there support has been good, they now have a Chrome plugin that allows you to browse from any country at the click of a button (nice and handy for those USA shops that detect your region and redirect you automatically).

I've used their Android version, full blown PC version and also their browser only version and all work as expected

Edited by Deker

The reason you want to use a VPN service is key and will determine the best route.

Are you a political activist who is fearful of retaliation or are you just wanting to use streaming services to avoid subscription (copyright theft) or are you just hyper sensitive avout your privacy? 

Edited by grrclark

9 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

I have considered VPN for those USA sites/tv where access from outside USA is blocked.

Is it possible to it on and off ?
I have websites I use that open when they recognise my IP No, which is quite convenient.

Yes, with the one I use you can switch it off/on and choose from a multitude of countries.

15 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

I have yet to find a VPN that gets me access to BBC iPlayer when I'm outside the UK.

Must have tried a dozen. TunnelBear, Avira, NordvPN, and Openvpn among them.

You need to select the UK server that the VPN provider uses to trick BBC iPlayer into thinking you are in the UK. It does work I used one to watch an England game through BBC iPlayer when in Switzerland.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

You need to select the UK server that the VPN provider uses to trick BBC iPlayer into thinking you are in the UK. It does work I used one to watch an England game through BBC iPlayer when in Switzerland.

Did that with most of them including Avira and TunnelBear but still haven't succeeded in getting iPlayer 

15 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Did that with most of them including Avira and TunnelBear but still haven't succeeded in getting iPlayer 

Are you using a PC, android or apple device? If android try Turbo VPN, I don’t know if it is available on the others.

Edit, I just tried and it seems it doesn't work anymore, maybe BBC have stopped you using iPlayer if on a VPN

Edited by Newbie to this

25 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Are you using a PC, android or apple device? If android try Turbo VPN, I don’t know if it is available on the others.

Edit, I just tried and it seems it doesn't work anymore, maybe BBC have stopped you using iPlayer if on a VPN

MacBook Pro

I'd love to find a solution. We spend about 4 months a year in the US and their TV is CARP. Thank heavens for netflix and YouTube!

17 hours ago, grrclark said:

The reason you want to use a VPN service is key and will determine the best route.

Are you a political activist who is fearful of retaliation or are you just wanting to use streaming services to avoid subscription (copyright theft) or are you just hyper sensitive avout your privacy? 

Political activist? Perish the thought.....!

No, I travel quite a lot outside the UK and as a TV license payer get extremely annoyed that I cannot access UK TV when I want to and, although not hyper sensitive about my privacy, I am getting increasingly irritated that organisations are monitoring what I do.

Thank you one and all for your contributions.

The skygo app works in most EU countries with a few restrictions and is what I usually use.

Am of again Tuesday so will do some experimenting for you. Of course you can always use the App TvCatchup which has no such restrictions and is what the wife used to use all the time when living in France.

7 hours ago, Jaymo said:

The skygo app works in most EU countries with a few restrictions and is what I usually use.

Am of again Tuesday so will do some experimenting for you. Of course you can always use the App TvCatchup which has no such restrictions and is what the wife used to use all the time when living in France.

Jaymo, thanks, would be interested in outcome of your experimenting. Will look at tvcatchup.

Living between Saudi and Thailand , a decent VPN is a must! I use Avast virus protection for all my devices and it has an add on VPN available for a nominal annual  sum. You have a wide range of 'locations' to choose from that you can change anytime. And you can turn it on and off. I don't know how it compares to others because I've never had reason to think of changing mine.  If it is available as a stand alone program (no idea if it is) I'd recommend it.

Not sure if I can get BBC iPlayer on it...let me check and report back.

Report. Turned on the VPN, set the location to Glasgow and went to the BBC website. Radio is no problem - I just listened to the shipping forecast live. TV, they want me to create an account and say I need a TV license. Haven't tried yet, because on a whim I poked BBC Cymru and now all the instructions for everything have switched to Welsh and I'm lost.

But I would imagine that it should work. With the VPN off,  you get 'not available in your location' as a matter of course. Actually I'm kicking myself now that I'd forgotten about all this. Could have listened to Cook reaching his century.

Edited by Retsdon
Update

On 15/09/2018 at 08:12, Bobba said:

Political activist? Perish the thought.....!

No, I travel quite a lot outside the UK and as a TV license payer get extremely annoyed that I cannot access UK TV when I want to and, although not hyper sensitive about my privacy, I am getting increasingly irritated that organisations are monitoring what I do.

Thank you one and all for your contributions.

That seems entirely reasonable.  As you are browsing back to the UK you could always get a suitable home broadband router and establish a VPN to that and then break out back to the internet from your own house.

Obviously no good for political activism and the like, but would get you UK TV no bother.