Cocker dropping short and now refusing to pick

Hi all my 20 month cocker has been dropping balls and dummies short for a while now. I have tried moving back, sideways etc. To no avail. She has started to refuse retrives now so i have stopped until i find out why. She seems to want to play or chew or jump about with objects too and not really focused on the retrives. I had her following me around the house with balls and dummies and paint rollers but as soon as i go outside to distraction it goes to pot. What am i doing wrong?? 

Thanks ncs

20 months old isn’t really a puppy.  As has been said remove all of the items.  She shouldn’t have any toys and her fun should be what you bring to her, and be dictated by you. If she is stopping short, spitting the dummy then running around treating it as a game, don’t play. If she stops short, spits and stays, replace the dummy in her mouth and make her hold it.  You decide when to take the retrieve. If she has recently been in season this can also account for daft behaviour.  Be persistent, you’ll fix it.

Pressure pressure pressure.

if she’s retrieved happily until now look at yourself and what you’ve been doing. 

DO NOT force the hold. This will reinforce the negative associations. Go back to rolled up socks in the house and don’t rush. Cockers are funny beggars and less forgiving / resilient than springers.

Best of luck.

On 17/09/2018 at 19:10, bigbird said:

Pressure pressure pressure.

if she’s retrieved happily until now look at yourself and what you’ve been doing. 

DO NOT force the hold. This will reinforce the negative associations. Go back to rolled up socks in the house and don’t rush. Cockers are funny beggars and less forgiving / resilient than springers.

Best of luck.

Dave Lissett corrects a similar behaviour with a young springer pup doing similar on the 1st of his 4 part dvd. 

I followed it after mine started being a funny ******, but I followed it exactly like he did and now he delivers a treat. 

At 20 months old it’s not really a pup anymore, what was the delivery like before this happened?