Howa .223 bullet choice

Hi all

had my new howa .223 for a few weeks now and according to the specs it’s a 1:12 twist. Intended use range work, Fox, muntjac

i bought a load of different factory ammo to try and hoped 55gr soft nose would work for quarry but three different types all around 1.5 inch at 50 yards so not really doing the business. Best result was American Eagle 62gr fmj bt which cloverleafed in two of my three test groups.

couldnt find much soft point in anything other than 55gr so not sure where to go now finding something especially for muntjac as I’m not sure hollow point will deliver expansion as well as a soft point?

any thoughts on where to go next?

Hmmmm I haven’t seen any genuine Howa literature with a 1:9 twist, certainly my .22-250 is 1:12. - it’s not hard for you to wor it out yourself with a cloth jag, piece of tape on your cleaning rod an£ a mark on the tape. It’s not 100% accurate but it’s certainly good enough to determine the difference between 1:9 &1:12. 

My .22-250 notices very little difference between Matchking and game king bullets. Factory ammo is not always best for a barrel but if you can’t or don’t reload then sooner or later you should find a round that is consistent in your barrel. Don’t worry about hollowpoints not doing their job they are just as effective as soft points and often ballistically better as the soft nose can easily get distorted or damaged prior to shooting. 

32 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

And the American site says something different..... now I am confused...

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/438eb3_d872a584e5824bd5aabe51559881089a.pdf

I’m glad I’m not the only one, how hard can it be to get accurate information?

vince, it’s only had about 100 through it which might be part of the issue? I did shoot it in with a 1 and clean, 2 and clean, 3 and clean, then 5 groups of 5 cleaning after each set. Cleaning with jag and patch with hoppes 9 and leave, bronze brush through, then patched to dry clean patch - many of the PW Catton gang will know I don’t have the best history with rifle cleaning so any tips or critique as always appreciated

Cleaning regime sounds fine. It could just be factory ammunition, I have had several rifles that just don’t shoot factory ammo. I have seen a hunter barrelled T3 that struggled to keep factory ammo on an A4 sheet at 100 yds (yes it really was that bad!) with full length sized 52gn Amax put them in the same hole the same day. My Sako 75 hunter in .270 was literally a shotgun with factory ammo. 

9 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Hi all

had my new howa .223 for a few weeks now and according to the specs it’s a 1:12 twist. Intended use range work, Fox, muntjac

i bought a load of different factory ammo to try and hoped 55gr soft nose would work for quarry but three different types all around 1.5 inch at 50 yards so not really doing the business. Best result was American Eagle 62gr fmj bt which cloverleafed in two of my three test groups.

couldnt find much soft point in anything other than 55gr so not sure where to go now finding something especially for muntjac as I’m not sure hollow point will deliver expansion as well as a soft point?

any thoughts on where to go next?

The cleaning regime sounds fine. I have seen rifles that are all over the place in the early days which just seem to settle down.  50yds is really too short to be doing groups, I would be much more interested in how they group at 100 or 200 yds 

If it likes American Eagle stick with it. Its cheap and its good for range use. horses for courses. How good do you need? 1.5" group for Munties is well good enough. Don't worry about HP v SP, at 223 velocity it makes no difference,  Munties are solid little critters. I actually don't like these varmint ballistic tips, to my mind they over expand. That's just me

Edited by Vince Green

I don't like any use of ballistic tip on deer as they can disintegrate on the surface and leave terrible wounds. Not saying they do it all the time but they weren't made for deer, that's why they are called varmint bullets.

I use Speer 52grn HP in my Howa .223 and they are very accurate https://www.speer-ammo.com/en/bullets/rifle-bullets/varminter-hollow-point-bullets/224/224-52-hp-bullet

They were devastatingly accurate in the Remington SPS that I used to own, but sold it because it was too heavy to carry around, even with it cut down to 20".

Edited by Graham M

Federal 60gr Norma Partition or reload your own, which allows you to build the load the rifle enjoys.  1 1/2 inches at 50yrds is way too big..... have to say it, are you sure it is not the nut behind the stock ...no offence, but we have all been there.

I have used Federal and also loaded my own Norma bullets with great success. The Partition will do the job on any of the deer legal for calibre and the fox will not notice the difference.

I am not convinced the make of rifle has any bearing on choice of cartridge/bullet.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Federal 60gr Norma Partition or reload your own, which allows you to build the load the rifle enjoys.  1 1/2 inches at 50yrds is way too big..... have to say it, are you sure it is not the nut behind the stock ...no offence, but we have all been there.

I have used Federal and also loaded my own Norma bullets with great success. The Partition will do the job on any of the deer legal for calibre and the fox will not notice the difference.

I am not convinced the make of rifle has any bearing on choice of cartridge/bullet.

No offence taken, it was bench rest off front and back bag so really no movement of gun at all

If I’d of known I’d of given you some ammo last time you came down.

ive some (40) 55gr Winchester varmint x you can have for free but I just want the cases as I reload only now plus a few sako .

i managed 1”  groups at 100 yards with them in mine but now get 1/2” with reloads . 

I can sort you out a load if you reload ;) 

and ill clean it for  you right .

your 308 lol 😂 

Edited by team tractor

All of the above is relevant to your shooting problem, but I would add that as I have a Howa 1500 (in 308) it is a good idea to pillar pad the recoil lug and the rear securing slot screw area in the stock . There are only 2 screws holding the action and they do work loose if you haven't used a lock tite on the screw threads.  It makes a dramatic improvement in accuracy for literally a few pence.

I picked up two boxes of Winchester soft point 55g 223 bullets for my savage yesterday and they were pretty good. Had 20 mins spare yesterday so had a quick shot with it. Zeroed in 4 shots. Will check the zero again with the nv when it’s properly dark and I’ve got more time next week. But after the final zero shot I put another 2 next to it all inside a hole about 5p size. So big thumbs up for them. I’d forgotten how expensive it is to buy them though after reloading for the 243 for the past couple of years. £20 a box 😳