Potential move to norfolk, good or bad idea?

rovercoupe

Its come up that my other half might apply for a job in norwich and its a bit of a commute from leeds so looking at a move down there if it comes off, shes grown up there and her folks live in norwich so have been down there to visit for years and it allways seems a nice place to live and some of the characters on here seem to be on my level so thinking it might be a nice change.

Would you reccomend it? 

There are some beautiful looking broads, people who spend their holidays in and around Cromer often go home having caught crabs, and the name of the county town is a salacious acronym.   Norfolk is in truth a delightful place, especially for anybody interested in shooting and country pursuits, though perhaps not the ideal location if you want to go hill walking.

40 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

There are some beautiful looking broads, people who spend their holidays in and around Cromer often go home having caught crabs, and the name of the county town is a salacious acronym.   Norfolk is in truth a delightful place, especially for anybody interested in shooting and country pursuits, though perhaps not the ideal location if you want to go hill walking.

There is a Norfolk mountain rescue team . We have sand dunes 12 feet tall .

harnser

We tried relocating to Norwich a couple of years ago but it didn’t work out for a number of reasons. Not being able to find a suitable house and the wife not settling in being the main ones. 

With your wife being from there makes it a big advantage imo. My wife has never been able to settle in anywhere other than near ‘home’ so we just agree that she and the children stay at home and I work away nowadays.  

House prices in Norwich have shot up over the past few years with a lot of people moving up from the Home Counties. 

Nice place though. 

Moved here from Surrey 9 years ago and it was the best decision my wife and I made. In a similar situation to you as half my family already live up here. I love being so close to the coast, living in a more rural area (despite growing up on a farm in Surrey), and both my wife and I have prospered since we moved, although we had to struggle a bit in the first few years. Ive made some wonderful friends, go shooting far more than I used to, and no longer have to do hours of overtime just  to keep a roof over my head. Yes, property prices are rising here, but that is true of everywhere else in the UK. Come and join us, you won't regret it.

I like the idea of 12 foot dunes! It will be a bit of a change and I do enjoy the mountains but the last few years I have only been to the dales  or lake district for holidays so I think I will have to get back into going out in the canoe over hillwalking! 

There allways seems to be loads of pigeons on the fields and know a few people who shoot down there so I think I could get established pretty quick. I am certainly happy to leave the psyco drivers for tractors and people driving at 20mph round the country lanes. 

just need to find somewhere with a barn big enough for all my machines!

Norwich city itself is a lovely place to visit , plenty of shops , a first class museum set in a castle and just about everything else you will ever need , Broadland is another place worthy of a visit , both on and off the water .

Plenty of game shoots , good pigeon shooting and some first class wild fowling , Norwich Wildfowling club have got some excellent land to shoot over and have got vacancies if you wish to join .

You might find the pace of life a bit slower but do it really matter if it takes a bit longer to get somewhere☺️ , and wherever you are in Norfolk you are not to far from the stunning coast .

GOOD LUCK if you do move to our county and if you need any information about the shooting side of Norfolk by all means get in touch and I will do my best to help you out .

10 minutes ago, PPP said:

Norfolk is fabulous and only has two downsides-

It takes forever to get anywhere

In the summer North Norfolk is full of Sloanes

Other than this it’s awesome

Its on my list for retirement time...

Iv'e led a fairly sheltered life PPP , so can you explain was a Sloane is please .

6 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Clever people living in Norfolk, a lot of them being good with accounts and such! They can count more on their fingers and toes than the rest of the UK 🤔

I aint very good at counting  L G , so could you give me a HAND ☺️, if not I would have to stand on my 24 inches which I believe is two FEET :lol:

Housing can be more expensive than it appears with large variations depending on location.  I think we're bottom third wages, top third house prices in the country.  Lots of large scale house building going on and the roads are getting a bit clogged up and it will only get worse.  Same with the beaches and other free and paid spaces.  I know some other parts of the country have had the same but some haven't.  You could say you're an hour travelling before you're on your way to anywhere.

Crime is pretty low and we've had a good succession of Chief Constables who tend to stamp on things early.  Drug gangs typically come up from London to the city and the market towns, as summer comes and people get their caravans out we get that as well but it's not so bad the rest of the year.  Most secondary schools aren't up to much.  The city itself is one of the best I've been to, the market towns vary somewhat.  Some decent opportunities for various activities in fishing and shooting.  Plenty of breweries and freehouses if that floats your boat.

In my opinion it's lost its character and it could be any number of places about the country now, in truth at times I barely recognise it.  This isn't to say I wouldn't recommend it, I guess a lot depends on what you're used to.  Deep down I'm bonded to it though so I can't leave (again).  

2 hours ago, Gunnut said:

Norwich, drug capital of the U.K so I'm told.

Seriously - visited many many cities in the U.K. and would consider Norwich to be one of the lowest with a ‘visable’ problem- behind closed doors one couldn’t say of course but we live in the City Centre and I’ve not seen any open dealing etc.

Edit

Did then just google some articles and I was surprised, especially as one from the Evening News highlights a play area frequented by my kids after school.

From the article you would think it’s like a scene from Trainspotting, but I honestly can say I’ve not seen any of these goings on, nor needles in the park- otherwise my kids wouldn’t be going there.

Edited by Jaymo