A few surprises today. Duck shooting on Lough Neagh.

Big Al

I managed to record the whole flight this time. A few surprises in this one! 

Getting up early can be a challenge after a week at work but you just never know what you'll see. The sparrow hawk was so close I could have jumped up and grabbed it. 

And people wonder why we do it !

36 minutes ago, greylag said:

Anyone watching this film would have no doubt why we go wildfowling.Quite superb.What a great flight and so much to watch.Ted had some good retreives and certainly enjoyed the day.Thanks for sharing it with us.

Very kind words. It was a great flight - especially as there way little wind and migrants are only starting to arrive. 

After a week at work it's the perfect medicine! 

26 minutes ago, m0t0deb said:

that's not a sparrow hawk its falcon possibly male peregrine (long pointy wings as apposed to short wing of spar)

As i said in the clip, I did initially think it was a a peregrine but I thought it was too large. I also thought it was too brown. 

I'm no expert though and am more than happy to be corrected by someone with better BoP knowledge than me. 

2 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

Another great video to watch Big Al, still admire that stone hide, Ted's retrieve just after the 4 minute mark was good to see, in fact I would of been happy to watch it at normal speed! :good: 

Cheers - the retrieve was a good one but because of the limitations of my little camera I couldn't really do it justice.  You have spent a long time staring at water!

I am finding it difficult to believe that I have had Ted for 6 years. Time flies.

1 hour ago, pbutd said:

One for the memory banks Big Al. I've said before that I love to see your dog work...you can see he looks forward to it. A dog in his prime.Good species count by the way.

Glad to see you've sorted the battery issue out.

Many thanks.  Quite unusually I have bagged a widgeon this season before I've bagged a mallard. You are right about Ted - he's six now but still acts like an excited pup when we are out with the gun.

I ended up buying another battery. I can't find the spares.  I'll find them now of course!

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

Great video thanks for posting. Hide must take some setting up each time  🙂

A few bags of sand and cement mean we only have rebuild every 10 years or so! Thanks for the comment. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Super video, that dog deserves an extra bowl of food. Reminds me of my old choccy lab Muffin, he would swim all day if I let him.

He always has been mad about retrieving ! I chose him from the litter as while his siblings let all over us, he kept coming back and forward carrying stones to us!

59 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Very nice big AL Ted some dog thats a early season wigeon mate Semi autos spoils you with the 3 shots but can be a curse as well sometimes lol Great video :good:

33 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Another great video, I always enjoy them.. love the hide and Ted... well done

all the best 

Terry

Cheers lads.

Edited by Big Al

Thanks for posting another great video, this one contained all the elements we enjoy. Good shooting, good dog work and an interesting view on the nature around you.

I use a large magnet gaffer taped to a cane for picking up empties, saves the old back and great for getting into the brambles.

Already looking forward to the next one.

8 hours ago, Cranfield said:

Thanks for posting another great video, this one contained all the elements we enjoy. Good shooting, good dog work and an interesting view on the nature around you.

I use a large magnet gaffer taped to a cane for picking up empties, saves the old back and great for getting into the brambles.

Already looking forward to the next one.

Thanks again Cranfield.  I have been trying small magnets on the end of my wading stick this week for the empties but can't get it right. I have one of those telescopic yokes for when you drop stuff under a car bonnet so I might try that this week. 

Edited by Big Al

19 hours ago, misser said:

top video... looks a nice peaceful place to spend a few hours...not knowing what your going to bag adds to the enjoyment, bet you can get all the duck species over the season... keep the vids coming please,....atb….misser 

12 hours ago, welshgun said:

You finally remembered the spare batteries Al !! 😄 another great outing Keep the vids coming atb welshgun.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.I really appreciate the comments.

Edited by Big Al

Likewise to all above comments , lovely clear video and some fantastic dog work , sadly some people through no fault of there own can have a dog when they go wild fowling, but looking at your video it would be nigh on impossible doing that type of shooting without one . 

I am now on my sixth Lab and I am sure our dogs enjoy wildfowling as much , if not more than we do , where would we be without our faithful friends .

Hope you Al and Ted have a season to remember and THANKS for sharing .