Jack's game

wisdom

Just watched several episodes of "Jack's game on YouTube.Several things spring to mind.I do remember watching them on tv years ago when I was a youth.

1.Imagine something like that on normal TV now.

2.Life seemed much more simpler then.

3.Seems to be that country pursuits were more accepted as the norm.

Maybe rose tinted glasses but it's how I remember growing  up no one abusing people going about lawful activity.

Anyone suggest any more YouTube stuff in a similar vein.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not on the exact same thread but I recently spent night after night when coming in from work watching The Fred Dibnah series on tubeyou. I really enjoyed it when i watched it as a young lad.

Fascinating character and if you watch the  vids from episode 1 which was done in the late 70's, you get the feel that life was a lot slower. Elf and Safety would have a baby! That said when i was a teen I thought nothing of climbing up the sides of 50ft buildings and the like.

I loved jacks game and what was the other series something like Down to earth? The  exact name eludes me!

Edited by 7daysinaweek

37 minutes ago, wisdom said:

7days in a week where did you find the out of town ones.They were brilliant.Jack Hargreaves was a childhood favourite of mine.he used to use a little diahatsu 4 x 4 if memory serves me right.

I found them 2 on Vimeo there are only two of them, cannot find any others online, non on tubeyou but plenty of JH other footage on there.

Found this complete series dvd box set of out of town on Amazon, sadly out of stock. It has 10 dvds which show the complete 28 episodes, episode 26 is pigeon shooting, I loved the whole series when i was a young lad.

atb

7diaw

There was a one off docu type film in the early 80's i think on channel 4.  about a falconer, it seemed very realistic and showed a fair bit of pigeon decoying and ferreting for hawk food. can anyone remember it?

The Jack Hargreaves series was a must watch for me as a young man. sadly we wont see the like again

38 minutes ago, islandgun said:

There was a one off docu type film in the early 80's i think on channel 4.  about a falconer, it seemed very realistic and showed a fair bit of pigeon decoying and ferreting for hawk food. can anyone remember it?

The Jack Hargreaves series was a must watch for me as a young man. sadly we wont see the like again

Another good one on Anglia Television in the 60s which often features country pursuits was Farming Diary and Bygones by **** Joice , he had a huge collection of old country tools and relics from a bygone age , the collection is ( or was ) on show to the public at Holkham Hall in Norfolk .

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Another good one on Anglia Television in the 60s which often features country pursuits was Farming Diary and Bygones by **** Joice , he had a huge collection of old country tools and relics from a bygone age , the collection is ( or was ) on show to the public at Holkham Hall in Norfolk .

I certainly remember his face and Bygones,  although i lived near Holkham [Brancaster Staithe] I never got an invite to the hall. You better watch it MM youll be getting as many warnings for swearing as me...:lol:

Mr xxxx Joice

am_dickjoice.jpg.7e8a7a87aa828db1a8b7078173702564.jpg

14 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I certainly remember his face and Bygones,  although i lived near Holkham [Brancaster Staithe] I never got an invite to the hall. You better watch it MM youll be getting as many warnings for swearing as me...

Mr xxxx Joice

am_dickjoice.jpg.7e8a7a87aa828db1a8b7078173702564.jpg

Yea , I'm not really sure why his first name wasn't printed , I am sure if the old boy was still alive he wouldn't have thought his christian name was a swear word , after all he was never known as Richard Joice ☺️ .

By the way , some of the early Survival programmes  were also well worth watching .

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, is there videos on Jack Charlton salmon fishing the Moy ?

I remember a programme about that but it wasn't Jacks Game. It was a programme about how he became an adopted Irish man after his run of success managing the ROI football team.

Edited by Big Al

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Yea , I'm not really sure why his first name wasn't printed , I am sure if the old boy was still alive he wouldn't have thought his christian name was a swear word , after all he was never known as Richard Joice ☺️ .

By the way , some of the early Survival programmes  were also well worth watching .

Colin Willock aka "Town Gun" produced the survival programmes, he was a great friend of Jack Hargreaves, I believe they also worked together as reporters/publishers? 

8 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Colin Willock aka "Town Gun" produced the survival programmes, he was a great friend of Jack Hargreaves, I believe they also worked together as reporters/publishers? 

They were also joint participants in Colin Willocks "The Gun Punt Advrnture". Entertaining story.

6 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I remember a programme about that but it wasn't Jacks Game. It was a programme about how he became an adopted Irish man after his run of success managing the ROI football team.

I think Jack Charlton, made a film in the "Jacks Game series fishing the Corrib River, on Nuns Island fishery in Galway? By all accounts the crowds gathering on the bridge watching him stopp the traffic!

I saw a programme on him trying (not very well! Lol!) to fish the Ridge Pool on the Moy in Ballina. He had a house built just along the Foxford Road, I met and had the craic with the guy (his name escapes me!) who built it for him!

1 minute ago, Big Al said:

They were also joint participants in Colin Willocks "The Gun Punt Advrnture". Entertaining story.

Correct!

12 minutes ago, Big Al said:

hello, he was not a favourite of the local fisherman at Ballina, got caught cheating so it was said on the famous salmon fishery there