Jack's game

wisdom

On 16 September 2018 at 17:36, 7daysinaweek said:

I found them 2 on Vimeo there are only two of them, cannot find any others online, non on tubeyou but plenty of JH other footage on there.

Found this complete series dvd box set of out of town on Amazon, sadly out of stock. It has 10 dvds which show the complete 28 episodes, episode 26 is pigeon shooting, I loved the whole series when i was a young lad.

atb

7diaw

I got given a boxed set of 10 Jack Hargreaves DVDs for my 70th birthday recently  entitled 'The Lost Episodes'. His programmes were a must to watch on a Friday evening.

Met him a few times when he came to the Southern Television open boat fishing competitions off Herne Bay in the 70s. The likes of his programmes are never likely to be shown again.

Whilst reminiscing, anyone remember a 15 minute programme on BBC I think by Macdonald's Hastings called 'The Other Mr Churchill' on the life of gunmaker Robert Churchill. 

OB

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I found this but haven't watched it yet.

I have just finished watching that very one, very enjoyable hour and a half.

Last night I watched the buck shooting one with Richard Prior, the stag stalking, the ferreting rabbiting and the one he done with Archie coats pigeon shooting. They all on tubeyou.

Here is a link.

13 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I got given a boxed set of 10 Jack Hargreaves DVDs for my 70th birthday recently  entitled 'The Lost Episodes'. His programmes were a must to watch on a Friday evening.

Met him a few times when he came to the Southern Television open boat fishing competitions off Herne Bay in the 70s. The likes of his programmes are never likely to be shown again.

Whilst reminiscing, anyone remember a 15 minute programme on BBC I think by Macdonald's Hastings called 'The Other Mr Churchill' on the life of gunmaker Robert Churchill. 

OB

I used to watch them in me early teens, absolutely loved them, what are the lost episodes like?

Fascinating gentleman!

atb

7diaw

9 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Last night I watched the buck shooting one with Richard Prior, the stag stalking, the ferreting rabbiting and the one he done with Archie coats pigeon shooting. They all on tubeyou.

Here is a link.

what are the lost episodes like?

Fascinating gentleman!

atb

7diaw

I've not had chance to watch them yet, but will let you know. I'm sure that they'll be fascinating.

I've got some of Jack's Game as the one above with Archie Coats and other pigeon shooting videos on cassette and keep meaning to get them put onto DVDs. I understand that is possible. Just got to find a place that does it locally. 

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

There is a world of difference between breaking a rule and cheating. What exactly did he do to cheat?

hello, this famous salmon fishery has a etiquette on fishing that all fisherman must abide by and it was clear he did not so he was asked to stop fishing and banned, having said that it was many years ago that i went fishing there, but not to fish this particular part of the Moy, but my friend did so that is where we heard about this from the owners of the fishery, i cannot see any difference in your comment, breaking a rule defines cheating, anyway its no matter now,

On 16 September 2018 at 17:36, 7daysinaweek said:

I found them 2 on Vimeo there are only two of them, cannot find any others online, non on tubeyou but plenty of JH other footage on there.

Found this complete series dvd box set of out of town on Amazon, sadly out of stock. It has 10 dvds which show the complete 28 episodes, episode 26 is pigeon shooting, I loved the whole series when i was a young lad.

atb

7diaw

If you find one with 'Lobster Farming' on, I was there when it was being filmed at Reculver where they bred lobsters. It was fascinating to watch the lobster shed its shell and you ended up with effectively two lobsters side by side, one small shell and the other slightly bigger soft lobster newly emerged. Well worth finding and watching.

OB 

11 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Colin Willock aka "Town Gun" produced the survival programmes, he was a great friend of Jack Hargreaves, I believe they also worked together as reporters/publishers? 

THANKS for the information , I believe Colin Willock first met both Archie Coates and Mc Kenzie Thorpe through his survival programmes .

I have got quite a lot of wildfowling books both old and new and I still think Kenzie The Wild Goose Man is the one I enjoyed reading the most , and Archie Coates pigeon shooting book is still the bible of pigeon shooting .

One of the reasons I bought the Shooting Times for most of my life was for the likes of Colin Willock ( Town Gun ) and John Humphries ( Country Gun ) , when they both passed on I could never find to much of interest in the S T and I stopped buying it and I doubt I will ever buy it again .

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

THANKS for the information , I believe Colin Willock first met both Archie Coates and Mc Kenzie Thorpe through his survival programmes .

I have got quite a lot of wildfowling books both old and new and I still think Kenzie The Wild Goose Man is the one I enjoyed reading the most , and Archie Coates pigeon shooting book is still the bible of pigeon shooting .

One of the reasons I bought the Shooting Times for most of my life was for the likes of Colin Willock ( Town Gun ) and John Humphries ( Country Gun ) , when they both passed on I could never find to much of interest in the S T and I stopped buying it and I doubt I will ever buy it again .

I totally agree MM. My first port of call when opening Shooting Times was Country Gun then Town Gun. Never been the same since although I do occasionally read it even now, but not the same anymore.

OB

11 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Here is a link.

I used to watch them in me early teens, absolutely loved them, what are the lost episodes like?

Fascinating gentleman!

atb

7diaw

Just got the box out and the volumes are as follows -:

Coarse fishing (includes bass fishing off Herne Bay) That`s when you were allowed to catch them !! I knew some of the guys in the film.

Gean Tree Furniture

Heavy Horses

Appleby Fair (this one includes `Pigeon Decoy`)

Pony Riding

Sheep Dogs

Blackmore Vale (this one includes pheasant shooting)

Pigeons (on a barley stubble)

Fish Hooks

Saving the Countryside

There are generally four of five programmes on each DVD covering topics other than the titles so many many programmes. All interesting stuff, but I do remember seeing quite a lot of these originally so wondered at the title `Lost Episodes` until I read the booklet accompanying them which goes into detail that they were recovered by Jack`s Stepson Simon from being thrown away !

Once I get round to viewing them, I can lend them to anyone who would be interested. Sorry but as they were a present, I cannot then sell or give them away.

OB

12 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Colin Willock aka "Town Gun" produced the survival programmes, he was a great friend of Jack Hargreaves, I believe they also worked together as reporters/publishers? 

On the Angling Times I believe. It's mentioned in the book Big Al refers to, 'A Punt Gun Adventure'.

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I totally agree MM. My first port of call when opening Shooting Times was Country Gun then Town Gun. Never been the same since although I do occasionally read it even now, but not the same anymore.

OB

I still glance through the pages when I am in Tesco's or Smiths but most of the time find very little of interest , so the money stay in my pocket and the magazine is put back for someone else to glance through it .

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Just got the box out and the volumes are as follows -:

Coarse fishing (includes bass fishing off Herne Bay) That`s when you were allowed to catch them !! I knew some of the guys in the film.

Gean Tree Furniture

Heavy Horses

Appleby Fair (this one includes `Pigeon Decoy`)

Pony Riding

Sheep Dogs

Blackmore Vale (this one includes pheasant shooting)

Pigeons (on a barley stubble)

Fish Hooks

Saving the Countryside

There are generally four of five programmes on each DVD covering topics other than the titles so many many programmes. All interesting stuff, but I do remember seeing quite a lot of these originally so wondered at the title `Lost Episodes` until I read the booklet accompanying them which goes into detail that they were recovered by Jack`s Stepson Simon from being thrown away !

Once I get round to viewing them, I can lend them to anyone who would be interested. Sorry but as they were a present, I cannot then sell or give them away.

OB

Some cracking watching there OB and bet there is some knowledge to be gleaned from them  episodes, the green tree furniture one sounds fantastic!

I will see if I can find the lobster one.

atb

7diaw

16 hours ago, marsh man said:

I still glance through the pages when I am in Tesco's or Smiths but most of the time find very little of interest , so the money stay in my pocket and the magazine is put back for someone else to glance through it .

From being a young lad I eagerly awaited ST each week but like you say, since those two passed there is very little of interest. For me it was not the subject matter but the way they wrote.

I enjoyed ST when it had writers such as Colin Willock and John Humphrey’s writing for it, both sadly missed, especially the latter; his style of writing was very soothing. Lawrence Catlow wrote some nice articles but I’m not sure if he is actually still with us either. He used to live just down the road from me. 

I bought Guns Review in a regular basis and still have a substantial collection of those and Handgunner magazine. Colin Greenwood wrote with knowledge and unarguable logic, all of which went ignored by those who could make a difference.

Edited by Scully

Pretty sure Laurence Catlow is still with us, he's written in Trout and Salmon fairly recently although he did suffer a period of illness.

I think a lot of good writers who wrote well across the sporting spectrum are much missed, Arthur Oglesby, Hugh Falkus, Fred J Taylor, & Moc Morgan to name but a few, all produced enjoyable writing and some good TV from time to time.

Cheers

Aled

8 minutes ago, Aled said:

Pretty sure Laurence Catlow is still with us, he's written in Trout and Salmon fairly recently although he did suffer a period of illness.

I think a lot of good writers who wrote well across the sporting spectrum are much missed, Arthur Oglesby, Hugh Falkus, Fred J Taylor, & Moc Morgan to name but a few, all produced enjoyable writing and some good TV from time to time.

Cheers

Aled

Fred Taylor is in the the Jacks Game salmon video in the thread.

I still have his ferreting book he wrote in the 70,s, cracking book and a very knowledgeable ferreter. Think in me loft I have a salmon book by Hugh Falkus

atb

7diaw

5 hours ago, Scully said:

I enjoyed ST when it had writers such as Colin Willock and John Humphrey’s writing for it, both sadly missed, especially the latter; his style of writing was very soothing. Lawrence Catlow wrote some nice articles but I’m not sure if he is actually still with us either. He used to live just down the road from me. 

I bought Guns Review in a regular basis and still have a substantial collection of those and Handgunner magazine. Colin Greenwood wrote with knowledge and unarguable logic, all of which went ignored by those who could make a difference.

Laurence Catlow still contributes a weekly article about High and Low Park.