Jack's game

wisdom

While thinking about the tapes I had from the jacks game series, which aired " before my time", I started searching for a series called The Gamekeeper I believe set around Blair Atholl, I think it was on around the mid 90's. I can't find it on YouTube, can anyone else remember it or have a link to where I might find it?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, shootthepigeon said:

While thinking about the tapes I had from the jacks game series, which aired " before my time", I started searching for a series called The Gamekeeper I believe set around Blair Atholl, I think it was on around the mid 90's. I can't find it on YouTube, can anyone else remember it or have a link to where I might find it?

Yes I can remember it and there was a book brought out of the same keeper and series  , the book was called  The Gamekeeper , A year in Glen Tilt and the keeper was Charlie Pirie , as you rightly say it was televised around the mid 90s . 

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

Yes I can remember it and there was a book brought out of the same keeper and series  , the book was called  The Gamekeeper , A year in Glen Tilt and the keeper was Charlie Pirie , as you rightly say it was televised around the mid 90s . 

Yes, I remember it too, MM!

On 17/09/2018 at 20:33, marsh man said:

Yea , I'm not really sure why his first name wasn't printed , I am sure if the old boy was still alive he wouldn't have thought his christian name was a swear word , after all he was never known as Richard Joice ☺️ .

By the way , some of the early Survival programmes  were also well worth watching .

BASC (WAGBI) used to have a survival film " Shotgun Wedding " that they used to rent out to clubs. I saw it first on TV and then my club rented it from a social evening and i held for a week until the club night watching it many times at home. There was a great clip of a morning flight at Blakney, Norfolk. Not up to the standard of todays films , but then the equipment was a little  more primitive in those days.

On 22/09/2018 at 23:38, shootthepigeon said:

Her you are!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gamekeeper-Year-Glen-Tilt/dp/0563371773

1 hour ago, anser2 said:

BASC (WAGBI) used to have a survival film " Shotgun Wedding " that they used to rent out to clubs. I saw it first on TV and then my club rented it from a social evening and i held for a week until the club night watching it many times at home. There was a great clip of a morning flight at Blakney, Norfolk. Not up to the standard of todays films , but then the equipment was a little  more primitive in those days.

Thanks for the heads up on the Shotgun Wedding film , I will keep my eyes open and make a few inquiries , I did see another one once about punt gunning , for some reason I think James Douglas made it , but I might be wrong , maybe some wise member can enlighten me on the punt gunning video.

53 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I'm intrigued.  How come? Was it dangerous shooting? 

Apart from the possibility of the known danger of two people in one hide, I simply have no idea. At the time I was heavily ivolved in an education programme for a large shooting organisation and I heard it mentioned several times amongst my colleagues although never with a specific details.

9 hours ago, wymberley said:

Apart from the possibility of the known danger of two people in one hide, I simply have no idea. At the time I was heavily ivolved in an education programme for a large shooting organisation and I heard it mentioned several times amongst my colleagues although never with a specific details.

Thanks.  It's pure speculation but I recall loaded guns resting against bales with Jack, Archie,a dog and a camera man all the hide at once. It can't be conducive with safety.

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 23:01, Old Boggy said:

I got given a boxed set of 10 Jack Hargreaves DVDs for my 70th birthday recently  entitled 'The Lost Episodes'. His programmes were a must to watch on a Friday evening.

Met him a few times when he came to the Southern Television open boat fishing competitions off Herne Bay in the 70s. The likes of his programmes are never likely to be shown again.

Whilst reminiscing, anyone remember a 15 minute programme on BBC I think by Macdonald's Hastings called 'The Other Mr Churchill' on the life of gunmaker Robert Churchill

OB

I have the book the series was based on and a very good read it is, particularly the details of the lengthy feud/squabble between Churchill and Burrard (of "The Modern Shotgun ") fame who were both used as expert witnesses in many high profile court cases involving firearms and shotguns and could rarely agree upon which day of the week it was let alone the details of early forensic photography.

21 minutes ago, Velocette said:

I have the book the series was based on and a very good read it is, particularly the details of the lengthy feud/squabble between Churchill and Burrard (of "The Modern Shotgun ") fame who were both used as expert witnesses in many high profile court cases involving firearms and shotguns and could rarely agree upon which day of the week it was let alone the details of early forensic photography.

Darker evenings coming up so the armchair, a glass of port and a good read are to be looked forward to. I have a copy of the "House of Churchill" and my step-son has a Williamson SbS from that maker who provided the ammunition which was used in a murder case for which Churchill was an expert witness. Consequently, it would be good if you could post details of the book and I'll see if I can get one.

Many thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Velocette said:

The book is called "The other Mr. Churchill, A Lifetime of shooting and murder" by Macdonald Hastings. Published in 1963 by Goerge G Harrop & Co Ltd.

It should be available from Abe Books/Amazon or the other well known auction sites.

P9260015.JPG

Many thanks indeed. I had a senior moment as I thought when you said the book the series was based on referred to Jack's Game. I remember seeing the programme that Old Boggy referred to but little of its content.

Edit: Thanks again, just managed to get the last one at a favourable price - the rest are too rich for my blood.

Edited by wymberley

9 hours ago, wymberley said:

Many thanks indeed. I had a senior moment as I thought when you said the book the series was based on referred to Jack's Game. I remember seeing the programme that Old Boggy referred to but little of its content.

Edit: Thanks again, just managed to get the last one at a favourable price - the rest are too rich for my blood.

I too have a copy of the book printed in 1963. Some fairly gory exhibits in it, especially page 97 of Mrs. Merrett's ear where the case revolved round the angle of entry of the bullet !

OB

Subsequent to the end of the series there was a strong rumour, in shooting circles that Arthur Cadman and Jack Charlton had a major falling out! Allegedly after Arthur took Jack on his permission to make the Goose shooting programme for Jacks Game, Mr Charlton later approached the land owner to secure the shooting for himself?.........Well that was the rumour anyway!

At the time, I remember, I was very disappointed, as I had liked the series and Jacks down to earth manner!

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Subsequent to the end of the series there was a strong rumour, in shooting circles that Arthur Cadman and Jack Charlton had a major falling out! Allegedly after Arthur took Jack on his permission to make the Goose shooting programme for Jacks Game, Mr Charlton later approached the land owner to secure the shooting for himself?.........Well that was the rumour anyway!

At the time, I remember, I was very disappointed, as I had liked the series and Jacks down to earth manner!

Jeez. If that's true, it is seriously disappointing behaviour. I hope it's not true for the same reason as you.

"Jack the lad."

• 1 month later...
On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:30, marsh man said:

Seems the keeper in the series wasn't a nice lad at all!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/perth-kinross/293305/tv-star-businessman-jailed-for-sex-attacks/